Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently Fergie damaged ligaments while on the pre season tour of Canada, and has been getting steroid injections since then. It's got so bad recently that he's going to get surgery soon (not before the Villarreal game though)

Explains alot if this info is true and i have to hold my hands up and say i've been far too harsh on him in recent weeks if he's been playing through such an injury.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
It sounds perfectly plausible to me. It's not his touch that has gone this season but his mobility. I hope they can repackage him and send out the old Barry again.

Stuff the surgery though. Get big Marv to sort him out. :D

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

As soon as we're eliminated from the CL, probably after the next game, he shouldn't play again this season.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
My first thought was to blame Eck but I can't say that is definitely the case. It is the case that players have been rushed back to early and have played with injuries at times when it was not beneficial in the long run.

It could be Barry himself though. Scotland's game tonight is a prime example. This is a meaningless friendly so why should he be playing with an injury and needing an injection to compete in it. In Barry's case I think he feels pressured into it. He doesn't want to be seen as someone sitting in the injury room while the team is struggling as he knows he'll get pelters for it.

As JdB pointed out though for the long term he should definitely have got it fixed at the start of the season when it happened.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
This explains everything, it would seem. Instead of doing the best thing in the long run, short-termism at Rangers under Alex McLeish has come up trumps (or not) once again.

Here's the Sky Sports article.

----------------------------------------------------------

Rangers captain Barry Ferguson is lining up surgery in the near future to cure his injured ankle.

The 28-year-old is currently only able to play because of steroid injections in his right ankle and he says once The Gers' UEFA Champions League campaign comes to an end, he will go under the knife - which will in turn end his season.

"It would mean plenty of time to recover before next season," he said.

"You never know, you could maybe break down during your recovery.

"But we've not even got to that stage yet. When I went to get my injections there was no talk of when I was getting the operation. But I'll definitely be getting it, one way or another, before the start of next season.

"I need to get a reconstruction of the ligaments in my right ankle.

"It's been there since pre-season in Canada. It's nothing to do with a bad tackle or anything, it's wear and tear. Players sometimes need a tidy-up. It's not stopping me playing and I can train most days."

·
Registered
47 Posts
he aint gonna help us get 2nd place if he keeps playin the way he is so whether hes in or out i dont think it will make a difference

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I can't see Ferguson playing a full season for the remainder of his career. He seems to have a lot of these wee niggly problems that operations can't really fix. He should have got it fixed at the start of the season. Playing through the pain barrier might be admirable and loyal and all the rest of it, but at the end of the day it's a stupid decision that helps no-one imo.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Courtesy of Sky Sports:

Alex McLeish has asked captain Barry Ferguson not to go under the knife in order to help Rangers qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

The midfielder has stated he would undergo a season-ending operation on his ankle if the club get knocked out of the Champions League against Villarreal on Wednesday but his manager has urged Ferguson to reconsider.

Rangers currently sit eight points behind second placed Hearts and if they want another Champions League outing next season, they need all their best players available to claw back the deficit.

McLeish believes that Ferguson's injury is not bad enough to force him to end his season early and wants the Scot to put off surgery for the time being.

"It's wear and tear but it's still vitally important for me and his team-mates to have him on the pitch," said the Rangers boss. "The players love him being on the pitch and I love him being on the pitch.

"If [the ankle] deteriorates, I'm sure he will want to do something about it but he's fine at this moment and I don't think he is going to require an operation.

"If it starts to restrict him where he feels he is not doing himself justice, then that may change.

"We just hope he continues."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Wake up Alec for Chrissakes :rolleyes: He's not 'done himself justice' all season long.

More outrageous man-management from Oor Eck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts