Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed his interest in Everton’s want-away star Nick Barmby and explained the rationale behind his attempt to sign the England international.
Ferguson’s enquiry has caused a number of eyebrows to be raised, considering the array of attacking talent at the Govan knight’s disposal and the vast spending power of the Premiership champions.

However, he has clarified the reasoning behind his courting of a player that, barring short spells of brilliance, has failed to fulfill his potential.

Ferguson said: “We are going to lose Quinton Fortune to South Africa for three months at the start of the season. He has got the Olympic Games and the World Cup qualifiers so he won't be around for pre-season, and for a while after that.

“Jordi Cruyff has left the club and Jesper Blomqvist may not be back straight away after his knee injury all last term. So the competition on that left side has been reduced," he told the Manchester Evening News.

"That is the reason why I have been showing an interest in Nick Barmby. He is a left-sided player who can play in two or three positions."

His perception of the 26 year-old as a 'left-sided player' will not help his efforts to seal his signature as Barmby prefers to play in the ‘hole’ behind the strikers or in a central position.

However, Ferguson is undeterred as he sees the expected fee for the player as a bargain.

"You see Liverpool making a £3.5 million bid for him and you think that is a good buy at that price. I am sure the club would let me pay that for an international. So that is something we'll be keeping an eye on."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts