Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we look at the great united teams down the years, they were teams dominated by home-grown or british isle players. The Busby Babes, Fergie's First Championship winning team and the brillant treble winning team.

Schmeichal(Danish)
Parker(English) Bruce(English) Pallister(English) Irwin(Irish)

Kanchelskis(I forgot lol) Ince(english) Keane(Irish) Giggs(Welsh)

Hughes(welsh) Cantona(French :thumbsup: )

With the expection of three players teh whole team was from the british isle's.

Schmeichal(Danish)
Neville(English) Stam(Dutch) Johnson(Norwegian) Irwin(Irish)

Beckham(English) Keane(irish) Scholes(English) Giggs(welsh)

Cole(English) Yorke( Half english lol)

There are four players who aren't from the british isle's and now we look at the team at the moment.

VDS(Dutch)
Neville(English) Vidic(Serbian) Ferdinand(English) Heinze(argentina)

Ronaldo(Portugese) Fletcher(scottish) Giggs(Welsh) Richardson(english)

RVN(Dutch) Rooney(English)

and now your saying, wait there's only five not from the british isle's. We obviously won't be playing fletcher next season in the first team either Richardson and Foreigners will come into the team.
Look at Bellion,Djemba Djema, Kleberson,Forlan,Howard,Veron,Cruyff,Barthez,Taibi, Blomqvist and Park. They are or were struggling to make an impact on our team most of them complete Failures that didn't make it at united.Park could be heading that way if fergie continues to use Ronaldo or Richardson over him.
Were expecting Duscher and european exports. In my opinion we should buy closer to home . The likes of Kevin Nolan,Jermaine Pennant, Gareth Barry,Ledley King, Michael Carrick,Joey Barton, Luke Young, Gary O'Neill, Nicky Hunt, Stewart Downing, James Morrison and Paul Robinsonto name a few.
Why dont we start a new era in midfeild with Nolan and Carrick or Barton or Downing on the left wing. Luke Young as Nevilles replacment or even Use Bardsley.
There are plenty of quality players in the premiership.
Okay some of will say what about the foreign players in the premiership, it's a healthy idea to think about Malbranque,Arteta,Cahill and even Gamst Morten Pederson etc.
Okay but i think we need to buy players tried and proven in the premiership. We need players who know the league and the intensity of it.
Cantona was at leeds and inspired them to league glory, so we both him and he inspired us to complete domination in england. Van Der Sar is a superb goalkeeper who know's the league inside out. York was playing for Aston Villa and had experience in england allready and alot of it.
We have to win the premiership before ambitions of Europe :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
lazyyzal05 said:
We have to win the premiership before ambitions of Europe :thumbsup:
Liverpool didn't.

I largely agree with you though, I think British teams should have a British core, Spanish teams should have a Spanish core, Italians an Italian core, etc.

Looks like modern football has no time for my quintessential noble values though.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
**** champions league, I want us to get back our EPL title.

The EPL is your bread and butter, after we get our title back then we'll think of Europe.

And it's not always madness happens like in the last final with Pool and Milan.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simba said:
Liverpool didn't.

I largely agree with you though, I think British teams should have a British core, Spanish teams should have a Spanish core, Italians an Italian core, etc.

Looks like modern football has no time for my quintessential noble values though.
I understand what you mean if we get Mascherano who has know european experience, look at Diego at Porto he was the next big thing in south america.
Diarra is playing in the french league which isn't as good as the premiership imo.
How do we know these these guys will do it for us, or become Klebersons and Veron's of this world.
While Someone like Kevin Nolan :thumbsup: plays in the premiership. Good passer on the ball excellent work rate, can tackle and bit of a leader as well and is getting european competition experience.I think people are put off by Nolan playing for Bolten but i think he is the sound out player for bolten with Ben-Haim.
When Keane came at the age of 22 or 23 i doubt anyone would of thought how much he would contribute to the club. There's players in the premierhip who are good enough for united. If united came in with a 15 million bid for shaun Wright Phillips we could perhaps get and play him there are possibilities.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
How can you have the audacity to question Mahamadou Diarra, the guy has been the most consistent DM in the UCL for the past 2 seasons ffs.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red Bed said:
How can you have the audacity to question Mahamadou Diarra, the guy has been the most consistent DM in the UCL for the past 2 seasons ffs.
I can like Veron being the best Midfeilder in the world when he joined united. We can not know how these players will react to football.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
You do realise none of your Championship teams would have caught Chelsea this season or the last based on points tally? Even Arsenals unbeaten team would have finished second...the chavs have raised the bar so speculating on transfers based on old teams is pointless.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I think its to do with the prices of buying english players,, It is bumped up alot while someone just as good from overseas would be alot cheaper

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
7aint9 said:
You do realise none of your Championship teams would have caught Chelsea this season or the last based on points tally? Even Arsenals unbeaten team would have finished second...the chavs have raised the bar so speculating on transfers based on old teams is pointless.
Yes but you go look at uniteds midfeild Fletcher who can't even pass the ball :thmbdown: and giggs only filling in there because of our crisis in midfeild and were 2nd in ahead of your team who have as good as midfeild has chelsea in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pumba said:
I think its to do with the prices of buying english players,, It is bumped up alot while someone just as good from overseas would be alot cheaper
Yeah i agree with you but the likes of Nolan and Barton might be cheaper than mascherano and Diarra.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Red Bed said:
He does have a valid point RedBed, Veron was the best midfielder in the world, Kleberson was a world cup winner, instrumental in Brazil's success. Neither had the impact expected of them.

One thing I will say however is the French players have a good record of succeeding in the premiership. It would be difficult to see how a player like Diarra would not succeed in the premiership, but you never know.

Life's a gamble.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Simba said:
He does have a valid point RedBed, Veron was the best midfielder in the world, Kleberson was a world cup winner, instrumental in Brazil's success. Neither had the impact expected of them.

One thing I will say however is the French players have a good record of succeeding in the premiership. It would be be difficult to see a player like Diarra not succeeding in the premiership, but you never know.

Life's a gamble.
Djemba Djemba?? anyone lol

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also think fergie is involved in the players poor showing. Kleberson and Djemba Djemba never played when they came. Fergie played Keane-Butt,Keane-Scholes and Keane-Phil Neville in the centre of midfeild. Never giving those new players a chance. Imagine if we did get Ronaldinho whos the say he would be half the player is know. Fergie might not of played him.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
lazyyzal05 said:
I also think fergie is involved in the players poor showing. Kleberson and Djemba Djemba never played when they came. Fergie played Keane-Butt,Keane-Scholes and Keane-Phil Neville in the centre of midfeild. Never giving those new players a chance. Imagine if we did get Ronaldinho whos the say he would be half the player is know. Fergie might not of played him.
The same treatment has been given to Park.

Starting Fletcher & Richardson ahead of Park?...

That's a cantankerous perversity of both logic & reasoning. :googly:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Simba said:
The same treatment has been given to Park.

Starting Fletcher & Richardson ahead of Park?...

That's a cantankerous perversity of both logic & reasoning. :googly:
I would even play Park ahead of Ronaldo, its said fergie doesn't see this.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Whats wrong with Richardson?
I think he has done quite well under the circumstances.
Okay he may not be the best player but he is only 21(i think) and is always improving.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
All the decent English CM's are already at good clubs that will not sell. Joey Barton? :hangover: NOLAN!? :dazed:. IMO they are not United quality. They are decent up and down players but I dont think they could take us to the next level. Carrick looks good on the otherhand but he is at aclub that wont sell. If they did it would be for stupid money.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
i think nolan and barton are quality, they might not take us to the next level, but they would keep as at a more consistent level. I think you have it is more about the individuals characteristics when it comes to foregners performing in the league. Not their nationality. I say bring in mahmadou diarra and mascherano still. or diarra and barton.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts