Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIR ALEX FERGUSON has put Villarreal's Argentinian playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme right at the top of Manchester United's list of wanted stars.

And Fergie was in Glasgow last night to run the rule over the talented midfielder in preparation for a £10m summer swoop.

Riquelme required only eight minutes to show he knows where the goal is - even if Villarreal's opener came from a penalty.

Rangers striker Dado Prso foolishly handled in the area and Riquelme stepped up to rifle home from 12 yards.

Back at Old Trafford, Fergie will blow all of his next budget on the man from South America. United have been tracking Riquelme for years. Ferguson's brother Martin is a big admirer and was also at Ibrox last night.

Riquelme, signed from Barcelona, could move in the next window and United want to be at the head of the queue with Fergie able to get a head start because he knows the player's agents.

He is determined to get the right player and believes Riquelme will give his midfield the ability to hold the ball that they have lacked all season.

Riquelme is not a straight replacement for Roy Keane in style - but he is a leader because of his ability and reading of the game.

Questions have been asked about his lack of pace but that has not been a problem for Villareal, who went 2-1 ahead with a goal from United old boy Diego Forlan last night.

Rangers equalised when Peter Lovenkrands bulleted home a shot from the edge of the box in the 22nd minute.

Forlan looked suspiciously offside 10 minutes before the interval when he hooked the ball into the roof of the net.

But Rangers were gifted something to cling to for the second leg when Juan Manuel Pena deflected a cross into his own net after 82 minutes.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Riquelme Eyes Manchester United Move

Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United, was said to be impressed with Argentine playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme after observing him in Villarreal’s Champions League Tie with Rangers on Wednesday. It is speculated that the English club is disposed to paying a fee of 10 million Euros for the player.
Riquelme has been linked with a move to the Manchester club for a couple of years now, and there is a big possibility that he will become a ‘red devil’ immediately after the World Cup.

Although fellow Argentine midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron did not live up to expectation at the club, Ferguson is confident that Riquelme will fit into his plans, and should excel in the Premiership.

Martin Ferguson, the brother of the Manchester United boss attended the match at Ibox and claims that Riquelme is definitely in the clubs plans, although it is too early to determine whether he will move to the club before the end of the year.

Just last week Riquelme told the Argentine press that he was aware of interest from the English club, and that a move to the club would definitely suit him, although he affirmed that he will only make a decision after the World Cup.

Gregory Sica

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i dont think riquelme is going to be at villarreal after the world cup.. i think inter will also try to get him

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
It's a shame Fergie couldn't take him right now so he was not available for the game against Rangers. :D

Quality player and even though he wasn't 100% fit he was the star man in the Rangers-Villarreal game. It's only a matter of time I think too before someone takes him away for big money.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
roman will not leave villareal, roig is rich, he doesnt need to sell, only buy

·
Registered
423 Posts
I hope he doesn't go to Man U. I like him but not Man U, anyone but Man United.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Mateo said:
Pellegrini don't want to sell Roman, but offers will come after the WC.

i have no doubt they will come but if Roamn leaves on the cheap i will be very annoyed, also it may be a fact that roman like being the big dog and like Villarreal and hopefully may not want to leave

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Man Utd closer to Riquelme deal

Manchester United are a step closer to landing Villarreal midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme.

Barcelona's pursuit of Villarreal striker Diego Forlan has opened the door to United closing a deal for Riquelme at the end of this season.

Villarreal want £8 million for Forlan, but will drop the price should Barca help with the sale of Riquelme to United. The Spanish champs still hold 25 per cent of Riquelme's transfer rights and will use that as leverage to bring down Villarreal's demands for Forlan.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has made Riquelme a priority target for the summer market and had brother and chief scout Martin Ferguson check on the Argie last week against Rangers in Spain.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
United close in on Argentine pair

Manchester United are reportedly closing in on the £16million double summer signing of Argentine duo Juan Roman Riquelme and Aldo Duscher.

Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping to strengthen his midfield following the departure of Roy Keane to Celtic earlier this season and feels Riquelme and Duscher can help fill the void left by his influential skipper.

Riquelme has been watched by Ferguson all season and has helped Villarreal reach the last four of the Champions League after they qualified through the group stages at United's expense.

The classy playmaker is believed to be keen on a move to England and feels United would be a good club to join.

He told The Daily Express: "I follow English football a lot on television. I have a clear idea of what the Premier League is like, it is very strong and United have a team crammed full of stars."

Duscher - who was strongly linked with a move to West Ham during the January transfer window - will be allowed to leave Deportivo La Coruna at the end of the season and looks to be heading for Old Trafford too.

He told the Express. "In these last few days I have been speaking with the president and the definite price is £8million. The club (Deportivo La Coruna) need money and I have no problem moving to England."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts