Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fergie's Christmas Wish-List

boss Sir Alex Ferguson will have to strengthen his squad in certain positions if he and his side are going to rise above the likes of Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal in the New Year and David Hobbs looks at and assesses possible transfer targets who have been mentioned this season.

Carlo Cudicini
(Chelsea)
Price: £5 million or less
Availability: The Italian shot-stopper was by far the best goalkeeper in the Premiership until the emergance of Petr Cech and new boss Jose Mourinho. Cudicini's only action has been in the Carling Cup and is just craving for first team football.
Likelihood: Incredibly Likely.
Edwin van der Saar
(Fulham)
Price: £5 million or less
Availability: The experienced Dutch international 'keeper has fallen in and out of favour at Craven Cottage under Chris Coleman and would like to seal a dream move to Old Trafford. However, the Dutchman's contract expires in the summer so Fulham may want to cash in whilst they can.
Likelihood: Likely.

Steven Gerrard
(Liverpool)
Price: £30 - 40 million
Availability: Gerrard has candidly spoken out about his desire to be winning trophies year in year out, and the England international midfield can certainly do that as a Red Devil. Chelsea have also been tracking Gerrard and and certainly beat United in a transfer auction.
Likelihood: Very unlikely.

Edu
(Arsenal)
Price: £4 million
Availability: The Brazilian's contract expires quite soon and wants a more permanent role in the Gunners side. "It doesn't make me worried to play in England for another club," Edu recently revealed.
Likelihood: Likely.

Owen Hargreaves
(Bayern Munich)
Price: £6 million
Availability: England international Hargreaves has been itching to play in the Premiership after an upsetting season of criticism last term in Germany. Hargreaves was close to moving to Spurs in the summer and may force a bidding war with United in January.
Likelihood: Quite Likely.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s237/st63331.htm?fromrss=1

:glasses: :glasses: :glasses:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I doubt we'll sign anybody in January.

Edu £4m? Pfft...He's free to discuss a move with other clubs in January AFAIK. He'd be a good signing on a free IMO. Ship Djemba, Miller or Kleberson out to make way.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I agree with Suicide, I dont think we will be buying anyone during the January transfer window. I think Sir Alex has already come out and said that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
edu would be a great buy i think we should think about a replacement in centre mid who is quite cheap

i have heard that edu has said he would like to play for man utd.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I don't think you'll sign anyone except maybe a keeper.

Maybe Downing if this is the only time Fergie can get him relatively cheap.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Well if we can get Downing at a reasonable price in January, then we should go ahead and buy him as his price will go up by the end of the season. Other than that, we shouldnt buy any other players unless their price tag is ridiculously cheap and we need them.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
I don't think you'll sign anyone except maybe a keeper.

Maybe Downing if this is the only time Fergie can get him relatively cheap.
But Downing is cup-tied for the Champions League, and knowing Fergie... :moan:

·
Registered
270 Posts
The only signing we may make is a keeper that is not cup-tied. Fergie's transfer history shows that most of the signings he makes in the transfer window are usually eligible to play in Europe. Even though Downing is playing well, I think against good opposition he dosen't make the grade. I hope that if Chelsea do get Joaquin that will relegate Duff to the subs bench, which is when we can swoop in. Solari is on a free, which would be a short term fix, but we shouldn't have had this problem if the Robben deal was completed, oh well that's life.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I can't see why Edu would join you, he is not a DM so would just be a reserve squad player, he would just be an upgrade on Fletcher for you.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
What a crappy list except for Gerrad :wallbang:

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
didnt the board say that if fergie wants to get players this year he has to sell (as he spent this years budget on rooney)...so even if we could get cudicini for say 4 mil, and downing about 6 mil, both good prices...would it go through, provided that its not likely were gonna sell anyone in january?

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Chelsea won't sell Cudicini and he is cup tied anyway, Fergie will more likely go for someone like Niemi or Green.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Man U have already tried and failed to sign Hargreaves, and why would the lad leave a title-chasing side for one that, well... isn't?

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Attila_the_Nun said:
Man U have already tried and failed to sign Hargreaves, and why would the lad leave a title-chasing side for one that, well... isn't?
Because they don't speak German there?

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
JKris said:
Because they don't speak German there?
They speak better English in Germany than they do in England!

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Attila_the_Nun said:
They speak better English in Germany than they do in England!
hehe,i wouldnt be surprised

1 - 19 of 19 Posts