6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More in a mo.....

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From www.rangers.co.uk

BARRY FERGUSON is to stay at Rangers after chairman David Murray rejected three multi-million pound offers for his captain.

At a meeting with Murray today Ferguson happily agreed to remain at Ibrox as Rangers target the league championship next season.

It brings an end to months of speculation on the 24-year-old’s future with several Premiership giants said to be waiting to pounce with big-money bids. Rangers were offered up to £9million for Ferguson but Murray refused all offers.

After Saturday’s epic 3-2 Scottish Cup Final victory over Celtic, it’s another massive boost for Rangers as Alex McLeish continues stamping his authority on the club.

Now Ferguson, who has lifted the CIS Cup as well as the Scottish as skipper this season, will be an integral part of Alex McLeish’s side next season alongside new midfield signing Mikel Arteta.

An ecstatic Murray said: "In any normal business one of these offers would have been accepted but despite the fact that our club, like all others, is facing a financial reality check, we do not believe selling at this time would be in the best interests of Rangers Football Club.

"As confirmed recently, this year must be the last year of heavy losses and we shall look to increase revenues and reduce costs in all areas of the business going forward, with a continued emphasis on our youth policy."

Ferguson, who still has four years remaining on his contract at Ibrox, can now settle in the knowledge his future in Glasgow is safe and focus on wrestling the title back from Celtic.

He enthused: "I am pleased to remain a Rangers player and captain and look forward to returning to pre-season training and the challenges that lie ahead for our squad in what will be a crucial season.

"I am flattered by the interest shown by other clubs but following today’s discussions, taking all factors into consideration, I am delighted with the outcome."

·
Registered
892 Posts
Fantastic news that Barry is staying. We would have been very stupid to let him go but now he is staying this will shut up the stupid annoying press.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
No it wont. Everytime Rangers lose or he does something wrong they will say "..you see, he should have moved on"

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Rangers Boss Delighted After Ferguson's Decision To Stay
News Archive

Ferguson (R) has decided to stay at Rangers (Allsport)
05/09/2002. Glasgow Rangers boss Alex McLeish feels that Barry Ferguson's decision to stay at Ibrox is vital for the club.

The midfielder had been the subject of bids from three different English clubs, however he decided that he wanted to stay in the SPL and try and regain the title from great rivals Celtic.

McLeish said, "McLeish said: "It's brilliant news for us on the back of our tremendous Scottish Cup win. Barry is a huge player for us and it's a massive bonus that he will be staying with the club and playing a part in our challenge for the honours next season."

"To lose Barry would definitely have weakened us, such is his influence on the team. So to have him in our plans for the foreseeable future is great for everyone at the club. I think everyone saw in his performance at Hampden Park last Saturday that he is one of the best midfielders in Britain and Rangers want players of that calibre."

soccerage

·
Registered
892 Posts
If Fergie does leave next season I just hope he has a few offers from Europe and seriously considers them. I would much rather see him playing in the Spanish or Italian league.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts