Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should these 4 have been dropped?
What do they all have in common?, is there anything?, 3 of them used to play for Newcastle or play for Newcastle.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Firstly only 2 of them have or do play for Newcastle. Andy Cole and Kieron Dyer. David James previous clubs have been Liverpool and Watford to the best of my knowledge, and Rio Ferdinand is a defender wo plays for West Ham.
Maybe you are confusing him with Les Ferdinand, his older cousin?

Okay, onto your point, I personally believe that 3 of the 4 should have been dropped.

Andy Cole - for me out of the 6 strikers he had in his initial 28, Cole was the weakest link of them. He scores a ton of goals for his club side, but then again I could probably put in 30 - 40 goals a season playing for a side that creates as many chances as Man Utd!

David James - Again, he's had an outstanding season and can consider himself unlucky not to be in the squad as 3rd choice. Personally I think that Keegan has got it right with Seaman, Martyn and Wright as his 3 keepers. Wright is the future of Englands goalkeeping, and without playing, the experience of being a part of it will stand him in good stead. Besides which if Seaman or Martyn were to get injured, Keegan would be able to call up James, and Wright would again be 3rd choice!

Rio Ferdinand - Another excellent player that could have made the squad, but when you consider he is up against Adams, Keown, Southgate and Campbell for a place in the squad, you can understand why he missed out. No doubt Rio is going to play in the near future, but I would have gone with the same centrebacks for the tournament.

Kieron Dyer - I think almost every English football fan (except die hard Man Utd fans!)will agree with me that he should be in the squad ahead of the less talented Gary Neville. Lets face it, if Neville played for the likes of Wimbledon he'd never even be in the squad. For me Kieron Dyer is a far better player, he oodles confidence and ability, and for me this is Keegans mistake in his squad.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I agree totally with that but as I have said I like KK and this means that even though I really disagree with the desicion he made on Dyer I will still support him (which i didn't do for a certain previous manager).

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I've got the same view Pool, I like Keegan, but Hoddle never impressed me, he inherited a good team from Venables and managed to take the side back a few years. I think given time KK will get it right!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts