Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fluminense's winger Felipe (ex-Vasco, ex-Galatasaray) was tried yesterday for punching Campinense's centreback Marcos Mendes in their recent meeting in the Brazilian Cup.

Since Felipe has done this kind of thing before more than once – he always argues that being marked as severely as he is justifies assaulting his markers :skull: – the punishment was bound to be much harsher than on previous occasions, especially because this time he couldn't argue that it was a "reflex" action, like the time when he elbowed the face of a defender who was marking him from behind. This time the TV cameras caught Felipe looking at the ref to make sure he was looking the other way, then trying to hit the defender with his elbow (probably to use the "reflex reaction" defense again) and when the defender dodged the elbow Felipe simply turned around and punched him in the face. :wth:

To defend their star Fluminense hired the infamous Clovis Sahione, a lawyer specialized in defending corrupts and embezzlers (and who was caught last year attempting to fraud a court). Sahione argued that Marcos Mendes' attempts to get on Felipe's nerves (which are common in professional football) justified the aggression. It was useless, and despite Fluminense's complaints Felipe was sentenced to a 180-days suspension, from which Fluminense will appeal to the STJD (the supreme sports court).

A lot of nonsense was said in the course of this trial, stuff like "the star can't be punished while the untalented player is allowed to keep playing", as if the defender was the guilty one. :wallbang: Felipe was marked closely but there was no disloyalty, apart from his own actions.

And considering all the attention this trial got, I'd like to ask your opinion... what punishment does Felipe deserve? I personally think this six-month suspension is a pretty light penalty, considering that the player has done this kind of thing several times already. What do YOU think?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Garrincha said:
And considering all the attention this trial got, I'd like to ask your opinion... what punishment does Felipe deserve? I personally think this six-month suspension is a pretty light penalty, considering that the player has done this kind of thing several times already. What do YOU think?
I think it's a great penalty. How much precedent is their for this? This is certainly not common as far as I remember. While it might be argued a bigger penalty would be good, it would be difficult to give him one without much precedent.

·
Administrator
30,934 Posts
Last year Chris and Eduardo got the same ammount for their fight after the mineiro's final. (I will consider only punishments due the new code of discipline, not old stuff where for Example, Serginho in 1977 got 6 months for a agression to a referee).

Felipe should get more, not days, but real punishment. If he goes to europe he will be able to play. (Or any other nation). This is ridiculous.
However those punishments are going to fall down because of the tribunal misuse (crap tribunals do it). Yesterday several players in Minas got this penalties, some of them, without doubt, deserved it. But a few got for normal game sittuations not the out of nowhere agression and had clean sheet, unlike Felipe. They are simple in the wrong article...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts