Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
AKA Galloping Shakespeare
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as you guys know, I'm doing the writing on the aranycsapat deal as a part time hobby on wiki.

I've been working off an on it slowly but surely I hope its coming together well as I redid the writting style a little. I got all my info from the puskas on puskas book and the Net. Any and all comments on it are welcome and helpful as I think I'm 2/3rds of the way done. Check it out at at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Team. And again I count on Bentex, Pista, ultrafoxe' and the rest of the folks on XT as knowing as much or more about this team than I.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
GallopingMajor said:
as you guys know, I'm doing the writing on the aranycsapat deal as a part time hobby on wiki.

I've been working off an on it slowly but surely I hope its coming together well as I redid the writting style a little. I got all my info from the puskas on puskas book and the Net. Any and all comments on it are welcome and helpful as I think I'm 2/3rds of the way done. Check it out at at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Team. And again I count on Bentex, Pista, ultrafoxe' and the rest of the folks on XT as knowing as much or more about this team than I.
GM,

I just read a part of it and it's excellent for those who have a commanding skill of English. Your article will appear on the internet and I'd say that the vast majority who will read your site will not undertsand the high caliber of words that you use. If English was my second language, I would have a difficult time of comprehending it. Suggest you make it in ordinary English so that a typical Brazilian, Argentine, etc. can truly appreciate the Magical Magyars.

·
Registered
55,924 Posts
good work, major :thumbsup:

pista, never mind about foreigners comprehending the text. for me, english is only the fifth language, and I'm also extremely retarded, but still, no problems even for me comprehending it.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
szövkap said:
good work, major :thumbsup:

pista, never mind about foreigners comprehending the text. for me, english is only the fifth language, and I'm also extremely retarded, but still, no problems even for me comprehending it.

That's you..so your smart but I'd say 90% of Americans would not understand what the good Major is saying and English is their mother tongue! Heck, there must be some Hungarians in Hungary who took English in school and they will not comprehend it..bet ya Bentex is having a hard time too ;-) (I like to pull ManU fans chains).

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pista said:
GM,

Suggest you make it in ordinary English so that a typical Brazilian, Argentine, etc. can truly appreciate the Magical Magyars.
I have to agree with that pista, I know the verbage is a little on the thick side. its like goulash full of big chucks of potatoes and onion halves and not enough meat, soup and the other small stuff you need for a great stew. i'm working on pearing down the thing to make it more it readable but not so much that only little kids will want to read it. That's the thing with writing, a tradeoff between easy reading and losing the pizzaz so the reader will think you know what you're writing about, hehe.

·
Registered
55,924 Posts
Pista said:
but I'd say 90% of Americans would not understand what the good Major is saying and English is their mother tongue! Heck, there must be some Hungarians in Hungary who took English in school and they will not comprehend it..bet ya Bentex is having a hard time too ;-) (I like to pull ManU fans chains).

I can't believe this.

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bentex said:
first this is not Hidegkuti...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:GT_Puskas_Hideguti_Rome_ga.jpg

I think it's Lóránt.

I will soon upload some pics I have from the golden team that you can upload aswell.
You might be right, that's probably Lorant, Hidegkuti was losing his hair by that time and we hasn't called the 'old man' for nothing. Taking a look at the team pics I could find yep that's gotta be Lorant, and he was the tallest of the bunch : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:GT_Kocsis_Budai_Zakariás_Lantos_Buzánszky_Bozsik_Czibor_Hidegkuti_Lóránt_Grosics_Puskás.jpg (left of grosich)

Where did you get your gold team pics from? I got most from http://www.sportmuseum.hu/aranycsapat/merkozes.php

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bentex if you can stand the classical in the background check out this golden team shrine a group of belgian guys put together: http://users.skynet.be/labdarugo/Intro.htm. :thumbsup:

These guys really put together an awsome site and I don't know how or from where they got their images from but who cares eh, its one of the best I've seen. :star:

·
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
42,192 Posts
Its not that special of a site, GMs site is way more detailed IMO.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Szovkap,

Believe it! Of all the industrialized nations, the USA ranks last in English comprehension and that's a fact!

GM,

Just make it "easy English" and you'll have everyone raving at your site. An English professor in college asked us to write a paper on Shakespear, and he read mine in front of the class. In summation, I wrote that I'm sure that he was a great philosopher, etc., but since I cannot understand old English and am not willing to learn to old English, Shakespeare is lost to me.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
I remember when I was around 13-14 at school the teacher asked us (for our homework) to research some facts on Shakespeare to share with the class in the next lesson.
Some guy called Philips' fact was that "he had a beard" I'll never forget that :dielaugh:

He'll probably be in the army now :D

and I agree with you Pista, I always thought it was a waste of time to learn about Shakespeare in school .... it's more of a hobby.
I did enjoy reading Macbeth and Hamlet though.

hold on a sec! how did we get on to the topic of Shakespeare? :) sanyi's gonna kill us :D

·
Registered
55,924 Posts
Bentex said:
hold on a sec! how did we get on to the topic of Shakespeare? :) sanyi's gonna kill us :D
yes, he will, definitely :D

to sir indianapolis-shakespeare, and I thought from all the so-called industrialized nations nazi germany was the last one to cultivate any fishandchips speaking accent, after all, and that's where I learnt it myself as 3rd tongue in school, after latin and french :rolleyes:

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pista said:
Szovkap,
GM,

Just make it "easy English" and you'll have everyone raving at your site.QUOTE]

Well Pista I found writing at that high level about the golden team totally exhausting. I'm going to hold off on writing more on it for a while since a lot of other things have come up, but you guys are certainly welcome to complete it. Writing at that high caliber of style is a drain Pista and although you say write it in 'easy English' I just don't know what that is, I wanted to give it a more professional look since it is an online encyclopedia. I would say its about 1/2 done not 2/3 as I first thought, and I just don't think I'll ever finish it as I just don't have time to spend on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts