Xtratime Community banner

February's Player of the Month

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four games, four wins, 14 goals for, and 2 against. Not a bad month. Here's how the games went;

1. February 2nd v Dundee United [CIS Cup, Hampden] (7-1) - As the score suggests, a pretty comprehensive victory. We dominated the whole match apart from a 10 minute spell after half-time. Novo grabbed a brace as well as missing a penalty, Stevie Thompson came off the bench to score a couple, Buffel got his first Rangers goal, Prso scored with a looping header, and Ricksen curled in a great free-kick. The second half also witnessed the return of Barry Ferguson.

2. February 12th v Hibernian (3-0) - A lot of people (not me :stuckup: ) were expecting Hibs to really test us, but we put in arguably our best performance of the season to teach the Edinburgh youngsters a lesson. Prso grabbed another 2 goals before Buffel slotted in the third. An excellent team performance.

3. February 20th @ Celtic (2-0) - Going to Celtic Park was always going to be the real test of our championship credentials, and the team finally proved that they can more than compete with Celtic in their own backyard. It was a pretty subdued first-half performance, but we upped the tempo in the second, and ran out deserved winners. Vignal netted the opener and Novo finished the game with an instinctive lob.

4. February 26th v Kilmarnock (2-1) - There seemed to be a bit of a hangover after the Old Firm victory for Killie's visit to Ibrox. However, if it hadn't been for Alan Combe's performance the scoreline would have reflected Rangers dominance more realistically. Prso opened the scoring with a great strike from 20 yards, and his strike partner Novo got the second.

Tough to single one man out in February. From the strikers, Prso got 4 goals in 4 matches, and Novo matched that total (although he did miss 2 penalties and had a bit of a stinker against Hibs). Thomas Buffel has also improved a lot. You can't really measure him by his goals, but he managed 2 in February.

In midfield, Barry Ferguson seems to have made an immediate impact, and whilst not playing spectacular stuff, has to be a contender. Captain Ricksen has also had a very efficient month.

In defence, big Marv is really underlining his cult figure status. Even if he can't play football, his heading and tackling is exemplary. Up against Craig Bellamy in the Celtic match, he absolutely strolled through it, much to the surprise of many fans (inluding me). Kyrgiakos has also been a rock in defence. He's gone a long way already to making us forget about some Frenchman that we used to have.

Another mention has to go to Ronald 'the mullet' Watereus for his Old Firm performance. Probably not enough to get the player of the month award though, as he wasn't really tested against Dundee United or Hibernian.

Have to say i'm edging towards Dado again, but I think i'm getting a bit biased. Either big Marv or Kyrgiakos in 2nd place. What do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Really hard one to call as there have been a number of outstanding performers. I'll give my vote to big Soti who has been a real rock at the back and something we really needed with the Klos injury.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
A few really good performers this month, with Dado, Kyrgiakos or Watereus the stand outs for me....

Kyrgiakos just edging it though - hehas made a great start to his ibrox career. Long may it continue :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Soto for me too. If he hasn't been already, he needs to get snapped up long term ASAP.

Dado was great again this month. He doesn't always get the praise he deserves imo, but its been a long long time since he he had a poor game for us. Vitally important to us.

Consistency from him, Ricksen, Marv, Klos before he was injured and Nacho have been the main reason for our turnaround this season.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Laddie said:
Soto for me too. If he hasn't been already, he needs to get snapped up long term ASAP.
That was a concern of mine too but according to the BBC today he is now contracted till 2008. :thmbup:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Looks like a draw then between Prso and Kyrgiakos, unless anyone else is going to vote.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I set the poll up I thought a week would be enough for people to vote. I don't think we can have a draw. Since three of the actual Rangers fans voted for Kyrgiakos, and only two voted for Prso, I think Kyrgiakos should get it. What d'you think? Rangers against democracy. :D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I'd go along with that. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
How does Buffel perform guys? :boxing: :boxing:

·
Registered
101 Posts

:kiss:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Apo Japo said:

:kiss:

For both sides of the argument have a look here , it stretches over two pages.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see Dado got the SPL player of the month award, but apparently he's not good enough for the XT Rangers player of the month award chivo, Teddy, and Laddie :D That's fair enough though. Who's getting the trophy this month? Think it's chivo's turn, is it not? ;)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Yeah, I think you are correct. Since the SPL backed Prso in the case of a draw that should give him the award. Also I think that one of the people who voted for him should at least fork out for the trophy. *Chivo walks off with two hands firmly grasped on his wallet*

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My contribution to Rangers is reflected in my post count :stuckup: (did I get away with that?). annax, I know a nice wee trophy shop. Their security isn't great either, so you don't even have to pay :thmbup: I'd do it, but i've got this dodgy ankle...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts