Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the first agreement that NFL will close with an organization in all history The Barça has been chosen because in the city the Dragons is an American football team () and the club is one of the marks of soccer more known in the world It is anticipated that the Dragons shines the shield of the Barça in their t-shirt and can play in the Mini Estadi The possibility that studies Barcelona creates schools of soccer in the United States The blaugrana organization also would benefit from the infrastructure that NFL has in North America, as well as from its experience in promotions or televising contracts
is a diariosport.com

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
I remember when Camacho was at Espanyol, he was always angry because the Dragons screwed the pitch up with their markings and overuse.
The Dragons are very popular in BCN and it would alienate many of their fans who are not "cules" and are supporters of other teams, so perhaps it's not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes maybe the thing of the shield is bad idea and allow dragons plat at mini estadi but the other things can be good just think about to send charly to alaska at some football school

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
As I didn´t get the original news, can someone tell what the whole deal is about?
The Dragons get to play at Mini Estadi and therefore the NFL allows Barça to build soccer schools in the US? :confused:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Barça completes an agreement of collaboration with NFL

The blaugrana organization is on the verge of closing an historical alliance with Liga Nacional de American Fútbol, whose economic volume is faraónico. Both organizations will be helped in the search of new markets, expansion, sponsorships, promotions...

NFL, the national league of american football, and the FC Barcelona is completing a strategic alliance that both parts hope to close at the end of month in New Orleans (the United States), according to which both institutions will develop collaboration agreements. The peculiarity in the agreement is based in which it is first that NFL, that has an economic volume superior to the one of NBA (basketball), MLB (baseball) and NHL (hockey ice), will close with an organization in all history.

The negotiations started months ago and reached their culminating point with a meeting maintained in Barcelona by the chief of a main directorate of Barcelona, Xavier Perez Farguell, and three executives of NFL: Alistair Kirkwood (vice-president of development and planning of NFL), Jim Connelly (chief of a main directorate of the European division) and Rafael Cervera (chief of a main directorate of Barcelona Dragons).

ASSOCIATION

" the association with Barcelona is being completed. One is not a merely economic agreement, but to work jointly to assure an expansion to us mútua. It consists to us that the Catalan club looks for new markets and we can be helped " , explained Kirkwood.

NFL has chosen to Barcelona by several reasons. In the first place, the condal city has been welcoming in an equipment of the European division of NFL (Barcelona Dragons) for more than ten years and, in addition, it is considered that the Catalan organization is one of both or three marks of soccer more known in the world. It is anticipated that Barcelona Dragons shines the shield of the FC Barcelona in their t-shirt and can dispute their encounter in the Mini Estadi.

" the collaboration will have several slopes. NFL for one decade it has been trying to introduce itself in Europe and this agreement is a good opportunity for it. In addition, we will help to Barcelona in its international strategy and for it we will work together " , indicated Connelly. The possibility that studies Barcelona creates schools of soccer in the United States or that can be benefitted from the infrastructure that NFL has in North America, as well as from its experience in the different promotions, televising sponsorships or contracts.

To date, the most significant alliance that it had taken place between two organizations of the United States and Europe was signed in February of the year last between the Yankees of New York (baseball) and the Manchester United. Nevertheless, the numbers that NFL handles do not have anything to do with this type of particular alliances. The mentioned league is in continuous phase of expansion, as it demonstrates the last televised contract to it signed, that will report 17,200 to him million dollars in eight years.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Gracias. :)

But if the Dragons leave Montjuic for the Mini Estadi, they´d lose about 40.000 possible tickets, no?
Would be cool though too see the Barça-emblem on Angoy´s shirt again. :)

Btw, never heard about that Manu-Yankees deal before.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think that dragons has never full the stadium, yes i heard it the manchester-yankees agreement, i have read at the free-newspaper that the schools that barcelona are going to make are in california and florida

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Yes, you´re right.
I looked it up, they had about 10.000 tickets sold every home game.
So leaving Montjuic for a more packed Mini Estadi might be a great idea after all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is all nice and all but what does all this mean to the average Joe walking down the street in Barcelona or Washington, DC?

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Mr. "Average Joe" in Barcelona will from now on find a packed Mini Estadi on Dragons-matchdays while his counterpart in the USA might come across one or two FC Barcelona football schools during his walk down the street. ;)

And I think it´s just great that FC Barcelona will work closer together with the Dragons. Barça has soccer-, basketball-, handball-, etc... institutions, so why not American Football?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I just thought I would add a couple of points, given my perspective:

The NFL probably the most followed sport currently. I think baseball is deeper, but it doesn't translate well to television. I also think, the NFL is the most successful of all the professional leagues. For our friends in europe, the NFL is much different than the promotion/relegation format used there. For example, a new team will enter the NFL (brining the total to 32) this year, and they were 'purchased' by the city for 700+ million dollars. That is one team. The city hopes to eventually get all the money back, in addition to prestige. One other thing, each team has the same 'salary cap'. There are loopholes, but the cap helps to keep salaries down. The best part about this is that the best players make ALOT of money, IE rivaldo, saviola, etc.. but the crappy players don't make money.

The NFL is unique among teams, in that salaries are not guaranteeed... and a team can 'release' a player for poor performance (or embarassing an organization *hint* *hint*) and NOT pay him anything.

Finally, such an agreement is a very good thing for barcelona and soccer fans in the usa. There will eventually be good prospects in the USA that will be good enough to play for barc,a (after all if Gasol can play in the NBA, maybe we have something for you). Also, there are large ethnic groups in america that do follow soccer.. I am talking about tens of millions of people here.. People think americans don't know much about soccer.. its true to a degree.. but it also depends on the area.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
barcelona will play at usa 2 games

1 - 13 of 13 Posts