Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was some thread or a little discussion about the subject but now it has slowed down and in the forum this idea hasn´t been discussed that much. Anyways i think the matter is big enough to have its own thread and overall is interesting enough to be discussed about.

Anyways this seems to be not that innocent rumour and the parties involved seem to be pretty serious about the matter with rumours about the possible expansion turning up rather than dying down. And the rumour is also picked up by various news sources also.

http://fcbtransfers.blogspot.com/2008/11/fcb-miami-barca-serious-about-mls.html

Most of the information regarding the matter is in that article.

So basically the question is how do You see the project and are You in favor of it ?

Personally i think it is a rather interesting idea and in that we would be the first ones to make the move and into a good area regarding football.
In my opinion it is the one idea that could help the club to stay in competition financially with the EPL clubs.

But there are worrying factors regarding this project as tradition wise it would be rather weird as our club would be almost co-owners of a another club.

Also question arises that could this be a personal pet project of Laporta to help him stay in some power position in Barcelona organisation after the end of his presidency and also pave way for himself to engage in business activities in Miami.

P.S. could some smart man do poll also in order to find out what Xtratimers think of this idea?

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Whatever gets Henry to the MLS quicker suits me

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I'm for it. It sounds good and I think it's a matter of time before other big clubs start doing this. Being the first is a very good thing and we'd monopolize that huge market for a while.

Also, instead of selling older superstars or loaning out promising youth, we just send them over the pond, completely free and it's bound to make a good impact financially.

But I wouldn't do this if Barca didn't have complete control over the team, ie choosing the manager, buying the players etc. FC Barcelona must have control over a team that would carry its name. Without that this is a no-go for me.

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts

·
Scudetto
23,383 Posts
Why oppose it?

Sounds like a good thing.

The States seriously needs to know more about the football world, outside the EPL especially.

Here the Liga coverage is also very poor. EPL and Serie A are the major ones televised.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
Gol TV has Liga coverage in US.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't think this is a good idea, atleast for now. It's being portrayed as Laportas pet project and will begin in 2010 if i'm not mistaken, the same year as the elections. If the new president decides that this is a bad idea, all effort will be useless and we will have a huge project on our hands without it's captain. It could be a good idea, but the timing is bad. Isn't there a Real Salt Lake City?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Barcelona reconsidering role in MLS expansion team

http://www.eufootball.biz/Clubs/6780-barcelona_role_mls_expansion.html

It appears as though Barcelona is unsure about plans to become involved in a Major League Soccer (MLS) expansion team. Despite the fact that the club reported a profit of around EUR 20 million during the second half of 2008, Chief Executive Joan Oliver advises that they are moving ahead cautiously, realizing that even a powerhouse like Barcelona is capable of financial demise.

Oliver addressed club members at a meeting last week, informing them that pursuing a joint interest in the latest MLS club was a "very delicate" matter at this time. The endeavour is thought to come at a price tag of about US 20 million for the club, a project that could likely be in place by the start of the 2010 season.

The new Miami-based MLS team would be partially owned by Marcelo Claure, winner of the 2003 Hispanic Business Magazine Entrepreneur of the Year Award. However, the future of the undertaking is currently up in the air, with Oliver commenting that Barcelona could delay the bid until the club’s finances are in a safer position.

Although two MLS additions were expected to start playing in 2011, Barcelona could have everything in place to join the game one year earlier.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
FC Barcelona now looking to a potential MLS partnership with Philadelphia

FC Barcelona looks to be still interested in a partnership with an MLS franchise. Barcelona president Joan LaPorta made a trip to Philadelphia on February 28 to tour the team’s future stadium just days before announcing it had dropped out of the Miami partnership.

The CEO of MLS Philadelphia said that he did not discuss financial specifics on LaPorta’s visit and that they are in the process of finding strategic partners.

MLS Commissioner Don Garber would not comment on LaPorta’s visit to Philadelphia but said, “FC Barcelona has expressed for some time an interest in Major League Soccer financially and strategically. They spent a great deal of time with us looking at Miami and are continuing to look at opportunities around the league.”

FC Barcelona has not yet made any public comments about the visit or any announcements regarding a strategic partnership with Philadelphia.

source: http://www.barcaloco.com/

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
I was hoping this mess would be over with. Philadelphia is definitely getting a team, as is Vancouver now. Portland is an option too. Vancouver and Portland already have teams though so I assume they'll be the MLS sides.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts