Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
36,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another bomb may be about to explode in our football.

As you all know Porto did not contest the Liga's Disciplinary Commission decision of punishing them with a 6 points deduction due to match fixing. This means that the club accepted to be guilty and now it sems that this puts them in breach of article 1.04 of UEFA's disciplinary rules. This article was created right after Calciopoli in January 2007, as Milan was back then allowed to participate in the CL even after having been punished for match fixing.

If they are to miss the CL, Guimarães will enter directly the 2008/09 group stage, Benfica will play the 3rd qualifying round, Braga will qualify to the UEFA Cup and Belenenses may request entry at the Intertoto Cup, meaning that obviously all these 4 clubs will do all they can for UEFA to fulfil its obligations and punish those that cheat.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Like I wrote in the Porto forum, rule 1.04 of the UEFA rules for the Champions League states:

1.04 d) "To be eligible to participate in the competition, a club must fulfil the following criteria: it must not be or have been involved in any activity aimed at arranging or influencing the outcome of a match at national or international level"

·
Registered
36,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I wrote in the Porto forum, rule 1.04 of the UEFA rules for the Champions League states:

1.04 d) "To be eligible to participate in the competition, a club must fulfil the following criteria: it must not be or have been involved in any activity aimed at arranging or influencing the outcome of a match at national or international level"
No more, no less. If rules are respected, they are out.

·
Registered
62,099 Posts
LOL!

I'll believe it when I see it.

Keep clutching at straws, baby!

·
Registered
62,099 Posts
UEFA's waiting for our federation to talk to them.

That's good news. :)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
This is going to sound funny, but I think it'd be wise for us to allow Porto to participate in the UCL. If they don't, our coefficient will only suffer with Guimaraes getting an automatic entry.

·
Registered
36,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is going to sound funny, but I think it'd be wise for us to allow Porto to participate in the UCL. If they don't, our coefficient will only suffer with Guimaraes getting an automatic entry.

It's sad to say it but coming from you it doesn't really sound funny. It was quite predictable.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
It's sad to say it but coming from you it doesn't really sound funny. It was quite predictable.
I'm more concerned with the status of our league. If we care about our coefficient, we let them play. However, I'm willing to see them lose out on the UCL so at least their punishment is a bit more severe. It would send a good message out to whoever wants to engage in this sort of crap again.

·
Community Analyst
32,859 Posts
I'm more concerned with the status of our league. If we care about our coefficient, we let them play. However, I'm willing to see them lose out on the UCL so at least their punishment is a bit more severe. It would send a good message out to whoever wants to engage in this sort of crap again.
Screw coefficiencies - this is the kind of below-the-belt that'll teach Galo his lesson, not the meaningless slap on the wrist he got from the liga. Maybe if the club is truly punished, Portistas won't be so cavalier about their cheat.

·
Registered
36,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

If you are worried with the state of our league you should be on the side of those that want to see the main culprits for our decline paying for it.

·
Administrator
25,797 Posts
i couldnt care less about coefficients when corruption is condoned in this league

moreover, i would gladly give "our" CL spot ( if rules are going to be followed that is) to another club, it would be satisfaction enough to see that a club who was proved to be involved in corruption is actually punished. Taking away 6 pts a few years later in a season where they win the league by 3 times those is not only pathetic, but insultuous

we are all too used in our country to see the culprits get away with impunity and then brag about it

·
Registered
36,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i couldnt care less about coefficients when corruption is condoned in this league

moreover, i would gladly give "our" CL spot ( if rules are going to be followed that is) to another club, it would be satisfaction enough to see that a club who was proved to be involved in corruption is actually punished. Taking away 6 pts a few years later in a season where they win the league by 3 times those is not only pathetic, but insultuous

we are all too used in our country to see the culprits get away with impunity and then brag about it

Amen to that. Portugal is an absolute kingdom of impunity and the shambles in which our football is it's just a mirror of it.

I guess it says a lot about the character of some people the way they have reacted to this punishemnt.

·
Community Analyst
32,859 Posts
I admit, I'll be grave dancing if UEFA are worth their salt.

·
Registered
44,661 Posts
A UEFA explicou, esta quinta-feira, que a participação do F.C. Porto na Liga dos Campeões na próxima época será analisada no próximo dia 2 de Junho.

«A UEFA só poderá pronunciar-se oficial e definitivamente depois de receber a lista da Federação Portuguesa de Futebol e avaliar as condições de participação dos clubes referenciados», afirmou um porta-voz do organismo que gere o futebol europeu, citado pela agência Lusa.

Antes do início do próximo mês não será tomada qualquer decisão: «Neste momento, tudo o que se tem dito, e escrito, sobre a presença, ou não, do FC Porto na próxima edição da Liga dos Campeões é sustentado por cenários hipotéticos. Uma decisão final da UEFA, só após 02 de Junho», prosseguiu o referido porta-voz da UEFA.

Em análise estará a condenação do F.C. Porto no chamado «Apito Final» por dois crimes de tentativa de corrupção, uma sentença da Comissão Disciplinar da Liga que não mereceu recurso por parte dos «dragões» e que pode colidir com um dos critérios de admissão da UEFA para as competições europeias.

Recorde-se que a alínea d) do ponto 1.04 do Regulamento de Competições da Liga dos Campeões impede a inscrição de um clube que «esteja ou tenha estado envolvido em alguma actividade relacionada em combinar ou influenciar o desfecho de um jogo, a nível nacional ou internacional».

·
Registered
62,099 Posts
Hermínio Loureiro abordou, esta quinta-feira, alguns dos principais temas de debate no futebol nacional: a participação do F.C. Porto na próxima edição da Liga dos Campeões e o «Apito Final».

O presidente da Liga revelou a sua opinião sobre a cláusula da UEFA que pode pôr em causa a presença dos azuis e brancos na principal prova de clubes europeia. «A partir daquilo que ouvi e fui lendo, acredito que o F.C. Porto vai à Liga dos Campeões», afirmou, na «Grande Entrevista» da RTP.

Acerca das decisões do «Apito Final», Hermínio Loureiro não gosta de falar em campeonatos viciados: «Houve tentativas de corrupção e coacção e essas atitudes menos positivas foram devidamente julgadas e reprimidas, mas no final desses campeonatos a verdade desportiva acabava por imperar».

:)

·
Registered
62,099 Posts
The President of the league believes Porto will be playing in the Champions League.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.