Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Courtesy of FC Porto Online

Sometimes you play just well enough to win. Sometimes you play bad yet you still manage to obtain a few points because of the result. Sometimes you play great on both ends of the pitch and get robbed by an incompetent referee. Yesterday FC Porto could claim the latter. In a game in which FC Porto controlled the tempo and rhythm, the dragons were only able to get a draw when an observer can see that clearly they deserved a win. In stoppage time at the end of the game a clear foul on Porto's target marksman Jardel was not called. The significance of the foul was that it occurred in every strikers favorite part of the field. The keepers area. Bayern Munich defender Patrik Andersson clearly fouled Mario Jardel in the box and Russian referee (for the most part called a great match but because of his stoppage time blunder I will say he is the worst ref out there) Nikolai Levnikov claimed nothing was wrong. Gilbert Madail, president of the Portuguese Football Association, claimed FC Porto got robbed. Porto coach Fernando was quoted as saying "I smell an injustice", while Porto striker Mario Jardel looked at it optimistically and said "We can beat them in Munich". Mario with the way you guys played today you can beat anyone.
The first half was played very very cautiously. Both teams not wanted to take any serious chances at first in order to acquire a feel for each other. The first good chance of the game came to Bayern in the 15th minute. Stefan Effenberg (who passed a last minute fitness test to play) failed to convert a good Mehmet Scholl cross and lashed the ball wide of Hilario's goal. Porto used that as an opportunity to build something bigger and better. A 21st minute blast by Jorge Costa was blocked by Mehmet Scholl and cleared. Porto got another great chance when Mario Jardel headed a Hilario clearance straight up the park to a streaking Capucho who managed to hold off two defenders and just tipped the ball wide of the goal. Easily the best chance of the match up to then. Porto continued to build. A cross from Drulovic was mishandled by Kahn leaving the ball stationary in the 5 meter box. No Porto played was around to slot it home. Just before the halftime break Esquerdinha ripped a 25 meter shot which Kahn calmly held down low. 
Porto came out in the second half determined to put a number on the scoreboard. They were rewarded promptly. With some great passing Esquerdinha managed to pass to Chainho inside the right side of the Bayern half, which released Ljubinko Drulovic along the Porto left, and the Yugoslavian international fired a left-footed cross onto the head of Jardel, who beat Oliver Kahn at his right-hand post from eight meters for his 9th goal of the tournament. Porto weren't given much of a chance by everyone out there were now leading 1-0. FC Porto refused to sit on their lone goal. They continued to control the tempo and went out searching for another tally. Porto almost got a second off of a Drulovic corner. Drulovic sent a hanging cross into the box, Bayern defender failed to make a good clearance and the ball went straight to Porto defender Aloisio just inside the box. Aloisio let his shot rip before the ball even touched the ground. Bayern goalie, Oliver Kahn, was lucky to have the shot narrowly deflect wide as he had already committed himself and was out of position. Porto came close yet again. Minutes later Drulovic crossed in from the right side and Jardel again got his head to it, this time from point blank range, Oliver Kahn made a fantastic reflex save to keep the Germans in it. A moment of slack defending by FC Porto was all it took for the Germans to capitalize. Stefan Effenberg floated in a quick free-kick past a stunned Porto defense for Paulo Sergio to calmly beat Hilário with a shot low to the 'keeper's right. 

Porto will be ready for the return leg in 2 weeks at Munich. They will seek to achieve what they rightfully deserved yesterday....a win.

------------------
Forca Jardel!
Forca Porto!
Forca Portugal!

http://portista.socceralliance.com

·
Registered
595 Posts
Uuuuh, I remember that game. :(
And the ironic is that Porto started the game by almost scoring a goal after a play of Edmilson, who now is in Sporting.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
wow a long message really.
but you own the porto board.
now i understand why you know that much about
football.
do you think portugal is abetter national team than england?
i think so.
my favorite portuguise players is:
figo rui costa and simao
what do you think

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Favorite Portuguese player...easily...Sergio Concecaio!

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
he playes for lazio,but he may join another italian teamin the summer maybe fiorentina or parma.
i like him,and well see him in euro 2000

1 - 6 of 6 Posts