Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Game on Thursday night and Ono plus Saidi won't be travelling. Wouter Artz , some kid from the youth team will be in the selection for the first time. Other than that, I reckon Songs "sorry" won't be enough for Ruud and that he'll be dropped again in favour of Gyan. So the team I expect is:

-----------Lodewijks------------------

Gyan--Loovens :eek:/Artz--Paauwe--Basto

Castelen--Ghaly--Pascal-----Goor

-------Kuijt----Kalou------------

I hope to see a good performance and us getting all 3 points with Ruud playing the strongest team possible, but I fear with a defence like that, Basel will nick this 2-1 but that should still see us top and that'd be a good thing as the 3rd place sides we'll be facing in the next round are a lot weaker than the CL losers who'll enter the UEFA cup in the spring.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
sh*tty that Saidi wont be there.. the defence sucks but Basel isn't the same as 2 years ago. Id prefer if we started with Buffel.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We (Basel) have almost no inner defenders left, so it's probably no 0-0 game as we tend to be rather good at standards which does not seem to be your defense's "key competence".

Nevetheless, I'm not too optimistic and hope the other teams "help us a little". Otherwise we will have lost it against rather limited Hearts and not against you. So let's hope for a good game - I'm looking forward to seeing you promising offense. Well, actually I'd be glad if they don't live up to my expectations. ;)

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should be a high scoring game then, but don't worry about scoring against us :D I don't know if you''ve seen coverage of us in our last few games but at setpieces, you're almost certainly guaranteed a good shooting or heading chance. We really can't mark and our only decent defender at the moment Karim Saidi won't play.

How much of the team is still left from the period when you had that nice run in the CL?
I know Hakan Yakin went to Stuttgart while Atouba is at my own Spurs. Talking of which, I don't know what to think of him :D but he's pretty funny to watch. Big , very tall and strong but so unorthodox. One moment he looks good, the other clumsy. He's now playing at LB for a few games since Edman is injured and he looks better suited to that position than the left of midfield imo.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've only seen the goals of the latest PSV game.

There isn't that much left of the glorious champions league days. Murat Yakin's mostly injured and concentrating on his golf skills. We still have our Argentinian top scorers Rossi and Gimenez as well as our left midfielder from Australia, Chipperfield (but he's rather out of form) and Swiss national Huggel.

We now already have César Andres Carignano, a young guy from Argentina. In the beginning he did not seem to be e reinforcement, but lately he's been rather impressive - at least comparing it to other players in our league.

Seems like our second inner defender Quennoz (actually Smiljanic would be partner of Murat Yakin, but he's also injured) is fit again, but Kléber isn't 100% fit.

I think you can expect something like:

Zuberbühler (sometimes terrible, sometimes great)
Ph. Degen, Quennoz, Zwyssig, Kléber
Sterjovski (Barberis), Huggel (Delgado), Chipperfield
Rossi
Gimenez Carignano

BTW: We here like Atouba very much. As you say: he's entertaining, but also backed up with solid skills IMHO.

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We've been hit by another injury. Ghaly is out, so you'll get your wish Monte. Also with Gullit saying that Sundays league game is more important, he probably will rest Goor who has some problem with his toenails. Gullit also said in the last press conference that there'd be no point in changing fullbacks so I guess Song will stay :( . So expect:

----------Lodewijks----------

Song--Loovens--Paauwe--Basto

Castelen-Buffel-Pascal--Smolarek? Magrao? or Goor

-------Kuijt-----Kalou--------

Looks 4-4-2 but in reality it's 4-1-5 :blind: with 2 out and out wingers and Buffel who is more of a forward player and we all know what happened when we played like this against Groningen.

Here's the scenario btw if we lose:

•Bij een 2-0 nederlaag: Basel 1ste in de groep, Feyenoord 2e, Schalke 3e.

•Bij een 3-1 nederlaag: Basel 1ste, Feyenoord 2e, Schalke 3e.

•Bij een 4-2 nederlaag: Feyenoord 1ste op basis van Uefa-coefficient.

•Bij elke hogere nederlaag met twee goals verschil (5-3, 6-4): Feyenoord 1e.

•Bij elke nederlaag met drie of meer goals verschil: Feyenoord 3e
so we better not lose by too many. I hope we'll take it seriously since Basel will be up for it and despite Christian Gross actually being a decent manager, I wouldn't be able to bear the idea of losing heavily to a side of his after his stint at Spurs. :scared: :D

Some stuff about tonights ref btw :howler:

Opmerkelijke scheidsrechter bij Basel - Feyenoord

De UEFA heeft de Spaanse scheidsrechter Carlos Megia Davila aangesteld als leidsman voor het UEFA Cup duel tussen Basel en Feyenoord van aanstaande donderdag. De scheidsrechter floot nooit Europese duels van de Nederlandse topploegen, wel was hij een aantal keer aanweizg als vierde official. Hij staat in Spanje bekend als een goede scheidsrechter die wel snel een kaart kan geven. Commentaar op de scheidsrechter is er bij hem niet bij. Hij kwam begin dit jaar in het nieuws omdat hij een aantal duels in de competitie van Qatar floot. Daar moest een wedstrijd onder zijn leiding gestaakt worden na de achtste rode kaart in de wedstrijd, een team had met nog slechts 6 spelers een speler te weinig in het veld om het duel nog doorgang te mogen laten vinden.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
These kind of referees should be stoned.

As for the game, my preview.

Feyenoord starts the game well, Basel scores, Feyenoord loses their head, can't create a decent scoring chance anymore, Basel scores a countergoal, 2-0, The End.

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rataplan said:
These kind of referees should be stoned.
Mulder hehe
Yeah, we have Luinge and moan enough about him but this guy we're having tonight sounds like murder! well at least not too many of our first team regulars will be sent off in case he suddenly decides to go waving with his cards.

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a game to remember but at least we're top. Song was poor once again and responsible for the goal we conceded. Only players who would have got a decent mark would have been Lodewijks, Kuijt and Pascal whos new haircut looked worse than the pitch :howler: :dielaugh: Magrao showed some nice touchs too but he needs time to develop.

..sad to hear about some of our dimwits been causing trouble in Basels town centre. Expect another fine or us to be banned from having fans travel to the next away game. :rollani:

anyways draw for the next round is tomorrow at 13:45 and the teams we could face are:

Ac Parma, Austria Wien, Sporting Portugal, Fk Partizan Belgrado, Grazer Ak en Tsv Alemannia Aachen

Out of them I have no preference really nor any team I'd rather not face. They're all decent sides (even Aachen)

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Crap game but it was to be expected with our somewhat B squad. A lot of bad players indeed, goalie was excellent as usual and Kuijt worked his ass off, respect for that. We still top the group :D, which is also great and I can't wait for the draw. I've got a hunch about the opponent though, hope it's right! :devil:

Oh and the new guys were all subpar IMO, even Smolarek, but it was at least nice to see them given a chance, even if Gullit didn't have much options.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think here in Basel we know that this wasn't Feyenoord at its best, so I'm not overrating this one. But we're also through, and that's the main thing.

BTW I don't think you can complain about the referee team anymore. With one more goal we would've been No. 1 but I don't think this makes much of a difference considering the teams.

Kujit really seemed to be one of the only ones really caring about the result.

I've seen your mob in the city and a lot of those guys seemed rather aggressive. But as Basel fans often also aren't the most "polite" ones I'm not the one to make overall judgements. Our police certainly does not have a clue how to handle such stuff - c u in 2008... :sigh:

Good look for the rest of the competition - and our pitch really is a shame.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ergic: Maybe you know that he played for a few minutes at the end of the last season after his long injury time. But then he had a rather severe depression and needed to go to the local psychiatric clinic. Now he's been back in training for a few weeks and everyone hopes he's coming back next year. He's a great player and a nice person - that's why we tend to sing his name every game since all the bad luck he had.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Didn't know about the depression part, sad to hear it, since his career was very much on the rise before the injury.

Anyway, very nice to hear about your fans, that's loyalty, I just hope he finds himself again and repays you for the support!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sorry for misusing this thread, just another remark:

The fans' support is also part of the problem, 'cause for him this was (hopefully not anymore) sort of a pressure to come back as soon as possible and to be "the old one" almost immediately - which is irrational as most people knew he would need a lot of time.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Wally said:
Only players who would have got a decent mark would have been Lodewijks, Kuijt and Pascal.
You shouldn't listen to Evert ten Napel, wally. :tongue:

Kuyt may work his ass off but he was total crap.

The pitch... :rolleyes: What a shame.

Song... :rolleyes: Please, get rid of this guy as soon as possible. I can't take it anymore.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Sporting Lisbon!

Don't know much about them this season, but they're usually a tough opponent. Perhaps one of the Portuguese can inform us?

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Drulo said:
Didn't know about the depression part, sad to hear it, since his career was very much on the rise before the injury.

Anyway, very nice to hear about your fans, that's loyalty, I just hope he finds himself again and repays you for the support!
I did hear about it and the story was so sad that it made me want to send him sth :tongue: as if im a groupie.. but no seriously, it was really sad to hear.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Sporting Lisbon is a double headed team...they can make it very difficult to you...or be as sweet as a candy...

we're currently 2 points behind the leader Boavista in the League

we play normally in 4-1-2-1-2

Ricardo(Portuguese international) GK
Rogério(brazilian international) RB
Rui Jorge(Portuguese international) LB
Enakahrire(Nigerian international) CB or Beto(Portuguese International)
Anderson Polga CB (Brazilian World Cup Winner)
Custodio DMC (Portuguese sub-21 team)
Rochemback MRC (Brazilian International)
Hugo Viana MLC(Portuguese International)
Carlos Martins AMC(Portuguese Sub-21 team)
Liedson SC (Brazilian, Superliga top scorer and one of he top UEFA Cup Scorers)
Douala FC (Cameroonian International)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts