Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we favorites for the WC10? I hope not. What do you all think?
AND, because I didnt know where else to ask this:
Were we favorites in 98?

·
Scudetto
23,337 Posts
I think I remember quite clearly Brazil being favorites in 1998. That was when Ronaldo was.. Ronaldo :D

·
Administrator
29,340 Posts
Yes we are. The lorota about favoritism was one of the many lies based on Self-help books spread by Parreira. We did won cups as favorites (We were in 1994 and 1962) and we did lose also when we are not and we are always among the top 3 favorites, even in 2002 we are among them.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Are we favorites for the WC10? I hope not. What do you all think?
It was interesting to find this thread because today I saw an Interview with Dunga talking about this very subject and came to XT with that in mind. Dunga made an interesting observation about our supposed favoritism, with his already-traditional sarcasm:

- "Being a favorite is surprising to me. After all what I've been reading lately is that all the Brasilian players are doing poorly in Europe. I've seen this everywhere. That all the NT's players are going through a bad moment in European football. So it's a huge opposition (I think Dunga meant to say it's a "contradiction", but expressing himself verbally has never been his specialty).

And Dunga actually has a good point there. I see all these people saying that Kaka is doing poorly, Robinho and Adriano returned to Brasil because they both suck, Felipe Melo is struggling, Gilberto Silva is in a club that nobody watches, Luis Fabiano isn't all that, Julio Baptista is crap, and then the same people say that we're favorites? How does that make sense?

AND, because I didnt know where else to ask this:
Were we favorites in 98?
I think we were, even though personally I lost a lot of hope after Romario's injury. That Ronaldo/Romario partnership we had before that damn injury was pure magic.
We did won cups as favorites (We were in 1994 and 1962) and we did lose also when we are not and we are always among the top 3 favorites, even in 2002 we are among them.
We were not favorites in 1994, we struggled like hell during the whole Qualifiers and even lost an unprecedented Qualifiers' game against Bolivia. Maradona's Argentina were the big favorites that year. The only WC we ever won as true favorites was 1962.

·
Administrator
29,340 Posts
Yes, we were, but we struggled and ended in first place. When the cup started, we are leading London beating houses together with Germany. Argentina struggled way more than us and was not more favorite than we are.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
- "Being a favorite is surprising to me. After all what I've been reading lately is that all the Brasilian players are doing poorly in Europe. I've seen this everywhere. That all the NT's players are going through a bad moment in European football. So it's a huge opposition (I think Dunga meant to say it's a "contradiction", but expressing himself verbally has never been his specialty).
I was thinking this- given that all of XT sees Brazilians as crap too....

I dont think we are favorites- I think our team on paper is a 3rd place team. Spain 1 England 2 Argentina and us 3.

·
Administrator
29,340 Posts
You are joking isnt? Not that on paper or anything, but what those teams have on paper? And on team?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
And Dunga actually has a good point there. I see all these people saying that Kaka is doing poorly, Robinho and Adriano returned to Brasil because they both suck, Felipe Melo is struggling, Gilberto Silva is in a club that nobody watches, Luis Fabiano isn't all that, Julio Baptista is crap, and then the same people say that we're favorites? How does that make sense?
:thumbsup: They say all that stuff about our players and still most of them have Brazil reaching the final against Spain. It's strange indeed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts