Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the cigi kofte place right across from the SSS, called gakkos i believe. its on the street that takes you towards moda before the stinky smelling dere. place is the shit.

also i love niyazi bey. i dont think ive had an iskender that superb in my life.

also i enjoy going to bambi cafe at taxim.

also i have to mention the inegol express at kadikoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,015 Posts
KanadaliTurk21 said:
I personally like the Burger King near ASY :thumbsup:
:rolleyes: :howler:

Try "Sultanamhet köftecisi" in Sultanahmet.... :thumbsup: Actually there is two of them there and i allways mix those two.. :tongue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,724 Posts
I can't remember the name of it, but there is a fantastic restaurant in 2. Ulus up the road from Akmerkez, near my Uncle's house. It's simple, traditional, and has flawless food. :) The chef thats always sitting behind the grill always remembers me and the owner always is quick with the Efe Raki ;)

...for scenery, 5. Kat in Beyoglu has some of the best views of the bosporus, facing north-west towards Dolmabahce and the 1st bridge.
http://www.5kat.com/

There is a really unique fish restaurant on the Anadolu shore of the bosporus in Kandilli that I like going to. It's on the same grounds as a mosque, so they aren't supposed to sell any alcohol. To get around it, they 'mask' their drink orders
Ask for a / Get a
Su / Raki
Sut / Bira
Cola / Red Wine
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yenibey said:
I can't remember the name of it, but there is a fantastic restaurant in 2. Ulus up the road from Akmerkez, near my Uncle's house. It's simple, traditional, and has flawless food. :) The chef thats always sitting behind the grill always remembers me and the owner always is quick with the Efe Raki ;)

...for scenery, 5. Kat in Beyoglu has some of the best views of the bosporus, facing north-west towards Dolmabahce and the 1st bridge.
http://www.5kat.com/

There is a really unique fish restaurant on the Anadolu shore of the bosporus in Kandilli that I like going to. It's on the same grounds as a mosque, so they aren't supposed to sell any alcohol. To get around it, they 'mask' their drink orders
Ask for a / Get a
Su / Raki
Sut / Bira
Cola / Red Wine
:D
i think i know this one. this is right next to the mosque right on the shore?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,724 Posts
lazyPro said:
i think i know this one. this is right next to the mosque right on the shore?
Yep. There is a little wooden boardwalk over the water outside the restaurant. So you've been there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yenibey said:
Yep. There is a little wooden boardwalk over the water outside the restaurant. So you've been there?
well i dont know the name but we sat in a 'courtyard' type area...and the guys said that they had drinks but he couldnt bring the beer in a bottle or can so i think he brought dark beer or something like that. i went a while ago, but i loved the food there. the appetizers drove me crazy.
 

·
Third Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
Joined
·
3,578 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,773 Posts
(When they were there.. I hear they arent there anymore) Galata koprusundeki balikci tekneler :)

I remember going to this kebap restuarant in/around Taksim square. It was on the second floor and the food was absolutely delicious... but I don't remember the name. It was something like Haci Ahmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
I'm going to Istanbul next month and would like to visit a meyhane. My guidebook recommends a couple in Nevizade Sokak in Beyoglu: Boncuk and one whose name I can't remember. Is that street still "in", in your estimation? Would you have any concerns about hygiene (I don't wish to offend anybody and I'm not worried about myself but I'll be with a bloke of eighty)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,971 Posts
Beast said:
Kocum, which one was the Balikci we went to? - that place was awesome as was the scenary ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,971 Posts
ridge said:
I'm going to Istanbul next month and would like to visit a meyhane. My guidebook recommends a couple in Nevizade Sokak in Beyoglu: Boncuk and one whose name I can't remember. Is that street still "in", in your estimation? Would you have any concerns about hygiene (I don't wish to offend anybody and I'm not worried about myself but I'll be with a bloke of eighty)?
Just a word of friendly advice, don't go to Beyoglu without a local or someone who knows the area well ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ridge said:
place if filled with 'opportunists' so basically they'll cheat u, **** u, steal from u do anything to come out with a profit. its decent during the day but late at night u dont want to be lurking around unless u know whats going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Thanks, guys. I was a bit puzzled at first because my guidebook doesn't single Beyoglu out as particularly risky, but now you've convinced me not to go there at night. I shall go there in the day, though. I'm not one to cause trouble and I hardly drink at all but I would just like to experience a good meyhane - but if that's too dangerous I'll have to change my plans.

When you say Beyoglu is dangerous at night - does that include Ortakoy?
 

·
Third Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
Joined
·
3,578 Posts
Jemster said:
Kocum, which one was the Balikci we went to? - that place was awesome as was the scenary ;)
That was in the Anadolu Kavagi abicim, all the balikcis out there are famous. :)

Next time ill bring you to Ismet Baba... It has the best view of bosphours... :)
 

·
Third Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
Joined
·
3,578 Posts
Ridge, you can go anywhere anytime in Istanbul. It is as dangerous as NewYork or Londra. ;) . There are some rules which are valid in all big cities:

- Dont carry too much money with you,
- Dont get into the tight, empty and dark streets at nite,

Else you can enjoy the Istanbul best :)

And yes Nevizade is the best and i know Boncuk. But If u wanna see a real "Meyhane" check the "Hazzo Pulo" or "Taşplak" in Beyoglu. And if u wanna see a real wine house, check "Pano". (its near the British Embassy)
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top