Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VS.

On one corner we have Fausto, the "Maravilha Negra" ("The Black Marvel" - he even sounds like a superhero!) - the best center-half of the 20s/30s, a tall and lanky midfielder that made history at Vasco. He defended the Brasilian NT in the 1930 WC held in Uruguay, and it was the Uruguayan press that baptized him "Maravilha Negra". Fausto was temperamental and got sent off often (like a talented version of Kleber), but his elegant and cerebral football made him an idol. He was always the brain of any midfield he played in, and after Vasco's 1931 European tour the spanish press enthusiastically compared him to a slave that carried the whole team on his back :)wth: "political correction" clearly hadn't been invented yet). After Vasco played in Portugal, a clearly-racist journalist from "Os Sports" wrote about Fausto: "this midfielder performed wonders inside the pitch... with that much class, he can afford to not be white". :googly: In 32 he went to play for Barcelona, and soon France Football wrote this about him: "He does with amazing ease what others would only do with superhuman efforts. Fausto, with his marvelous football, came to teach Europe how a center-half should play". :proud: Fausto didn't play the 34 WC because he was already a professional, and back then that was frowned upon in Brasil (imagine that - back then there were unprofessional people in Brasilian fooball!!!).

On the opposing corner we have Danilo Alvim, A.K.A. the Prince. Danilo was one of the highlights of Vasco's historical "Victory Express", that won many trophies between the 40s and 50s, including the 1949 South American Champions' Cup, a sort of early Libertadores. With the Brasilian NT Danilo won the '49 South American Championship, and was runner-up of the 1950 World Cup. :moan: Danilo played with class, dribbling objectively and delivering precise passes. After retiring Danilo became a manager, and he was the Bolivian NT's boss in their one and only trophy: the 1963 South American Championship. So while Fausto had the superheroic nickname, it was Danilo who had actual superpowers - anyone who could win an international football trophy for Bolivia was obviously a cross between Superman and Luke Skywalker.

So what do you say? Who was better? The black guy who was so good that even racists praised him, or the guy who was so awesome that he was champion with the Bolivian NT? Don't forget to post all the Youtubes you can find about these Legends that none of us has ever watched. :stoned:

·
Administrator
29,407 Posts
Fausto played for Flamengo, thus you do not like him :tongue:

Anyways, Superpowers came with super-responsabilities. Fausto all the way.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
hahahhahahahahaaahah
garrincha, chill out

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he still pissed we watched Aldair suck live :D
You only THINK you saw Aldair suck, my friend. ;)
Don't be so quick to believe the evidence of your own eyes. :shades:

Plus, these are not the droids you're looking for. (waves hand)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Garrincha is biased!?!?:eek:
Hell no! If I were biased, I'd have nominated Mauro Galvão instead of Aldair!!

If I were ridiculously biased, I'd have nominated Gonçalves!

And if I were an insanely biased SãoPaulino, I'd say that Ricardo Rocha was better than Aldair... :lala: :D

·
Administrator
29,407 Posts
Liternit is pissed because he thinks it should have been Bauer vs. Fausto!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you did not have to go there, its war now...
:boxing: :D It's all in good fun, Liter. I mean, I'm not offended that apparently everyone thinks my selection of Aldair was retarded.

I just lost all faith in my compatriots' good judgment. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts