Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the official website:

Robbie Keane has tonight put pen to paper on a 4-year deal at Liverpool Football Club.
Fourteen years after turning down the club he grew up supporting in favour of Wolves, the Republic of Ireland captain finally completed a dream move following a medical at Melwood.

Keane is the fifth summer addition to Rafa Benitez's first-team squad after the arrival of David Ngog, Diego Cavalieri, Philipp Degen and Andrea Dossena.

The transfer is the sixth major move of a career which began with South Dublin side Crumlin United before the prodigious teenager burst onto the scene at Wolverhampton Wanderers in 1997.

A big-money move to top flight Coventry followed before Marcelo Lippi, manager of Italian giants Inter Milan, offered £13million for his services in 2000.

Keane would team up with Ronaldo and Christian Vieri in Serie A, though the move was to turn sour when Lippi was sacked.

A loan to Leeds United was arranged in December 2000, a deal made permanent six month later.

Unfortunately, Keane's arrival at Elland Road coincided with a growing financial crisis, and he was to join the exodus of stars in 2002 with a £7million transfer to Tottenham Hotspur.

Over the next few years the frontman, famed for his cartwheel goal celebration, finally settled, tallying an impressive 107 goals in 253 appearances and becoming a firm fans' favourite.

So good was his form in February 2006 that Inter president Massimo Moratti admitted his regret at letting Keane go.

Three months before departing for Merseyside he won his first senior honour as a player after helping Spurs beat Chelsea in the League Cup final.

The 28-year-old has also carved out a name for himself on the international stage having made up part of the so-called Golden Generation which emerged in the late 1990s.

The striker was part of the Irish side which triumphed in the 1998 European U18 Championships just months after making his senior bow against the Czech Republic.

His first international goal came against Malta in October 1998 and he is now the Republic's all-time record scorer ahead of Niall Quinn.

Keane famously scored a last-minute equaliser against Germany in the 2002 World Cup, one of three in the tournament.

Few were surprised when former Reds defender Steve Staunton handed him the captain's armband upon taking the Irish reins in 2006.

Stay logged on to .tv for Keane's first interview and the views of his new boss on Tuesday.
We've apparently paid 19m£ + 1.3m£ as add ons according to Levy on Spurs' website.

Quite a steep amount but an EPL proven striker who has averaged approx 15 goals per season in the past 5 seasons, I for one am very happy with this signing! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
SHIT! This is the frame around the jigsaw that will finally turn Liverpool around that corner they've been attempting to turn for 18 years!

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
them mancs aren't obsessed with us are they!

anyway **** them, I'm happy with this signing, bit steep but then thats the way football is nowadays, 35 million for tevez supposedly and even darren bent cost 16 million didn't he? we have bought an upgrade on our attack, proven premiership class, I can't wait to see the link up between the likes of keane, gerrard and torres. Obviously theres no sale on value with this signing but who gives a ****, we can judge by the end of the season and not before plus its not like Rafa has forgotten young talent with the likes of pacheo, nemeth, ngog.

Hopefully we have bought someone who won't take too long to settle, throw him in the team and off we go.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Decent acquisition, I'm not as excited as many Liverpool fans are but he is a proven EPL player and hopefully can grow with us. I hope he can gel and integrate quickly and more importantly become a source of goals, I know assists and such are important but we need more goals in the side and a team where there are more match winners and players capable of winning or recovering a game, aside from the usual players. I wonder if he gets the number 7 shirt.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Decent acquisition, I'm not as excited as many Liverpool fans are but he is a proven EPL player and hopefully can grow with us. I hope he can gel and integrate quickly and more importantly become a source of goals, I know assists and such are important but we need more goals in the side and a team where there are more match winners and players capable of winning or recovering a game, aside from the usual players. I wonder if he gets the number 7 shirt.
probably best to remain cautious but noone could ever seriously say he's a bad signing for example, everything points to him improving us and our attack. I make a prediction that you'll love him arfy by this time next year:thumbsup: maybe not as much as I love torres obviously but there you go.

does he still do that meffy goal celebration? any chants of'keano' should be banned as well but apart from that ...

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
probably best to remain cautious but noone can seriously say he's a bad signing! I make a prediction that you'll love him arfy by this time next year:thumbsup: maybe not as much as I love torres obviously but there you go.
Its one of those things, obviously I want him to do well but I dunno if he can really connect the midfield and attack together. What role he plays will be interesting for me.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
and people say only madrid overpay :rolleyes:

keane cost pool more than rvn did for us :eek:
thats the cost of EPL to EPL mate, its the realities of the market and sometimes it is necessary to have to pay and appreciate these values, even if they are admittedly substantially inflated. its the dynamics of the market.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Rafa has sold a heck of a lot of players and has balanced the books so he's entitled to do what he wants.Is balancing the books anything real madrid know much about?

1 - 20 of 204 Posts