Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harry Kewell has signed a two-year contract with Galatasaray after passing a medical with the Turkish champions.

The Australian winger was available on a free transfer after leaving Liverpool following five injury-hit seasons at Anfield.

Galatasaray had announced a deal for Kewell on Thursday night, and the 29-year-old has now officially completed his move.

Speaking at a news conference in Istanbul, Kewell is confident he has made the right choice for his career.

"I wanted to move on and I think this is the best way to move on," Kewell, who was sent off against his new club during his time at Leeds United, told reporters.
Thrilled to bits

Kewell, who had also been linked with Celtic, Portsmouth and Roma, had earlier revealed he was relishing the opportunity to play for Galatasaray after arriving in Turkey for talks.

"I'm excited, I'm thrilled to bits," Kewell told the club's official website. "I'm looking forward to the new challenge.

"I can't wait to meet up with the team and to get going. It's something different.

"There's a lot of talk about the Turkish league. It's coming up in the world and the national team has done well in the last couple of major tournaments.

"There's a lot of young talent here, and it's different, that's what I'm looking forward to - a new challenge."

--------------------------------------------------------

Has been one of the my all time favorite players, its such a big shame that his career for us was plagued by injury after injury, had the potential to become one of the best left wingers in the world :moan:

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
?

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
thanks Kewell for all fantastic moments in the reds shirt.

Lucas Neill may follow him to Galatasaray who are interested in him too .

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
LOL

i can't believe liverpool even gave him a contract offer.

he came with so much potential but honestly, had only 1 or 2 good short spells in his career with us. love him, but its the truth.

not to mention he limped out of two big finals, both of which he unexpectedly started.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
thanks Kewell for all fantastic moments in the reds shirt.
:dielaugh:

Always hate the lazy cúnt.
got paid every week and did nothing.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
i think he joined us in 02-03, his first 2 seasons with liverpool till the cl title 05 had been awesome. then, after that he had a huge drop due to his injuries as we all know. so, we shouldn`t forget the good memories for him.;)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
He signed in 03/04, and scored a bagful of goals in the first half of the season and then his injury woes began in the second half and he never fully recovered. That's like a full 4 and a half years ago.

04/05 he played regularly, largely because our squad was extraordinarily bad at this stage but he wasn't fit and his form was very poor, he was injured for the last couple of months of the season and came back in the champions league final taking Hamann's starting berth, and was replaced with Smicer after about 25 minutes after his snapped his hamstring again.

05/06 was by far his best season with us. He wasn't fit until about november when he made his come back and he was easily our best winger. Offered real balance and a touch of elegance to our play. Tortured Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final and got MOTM. Again he didn't last the first half of the final after pulling up injured, and went off in tears.

06/07 was virtually a total no show for Kewell, not coming back until the last EPL match of the season where he displayed he was still our best winger despite being half the speed he once was and totally unfit. He came on as a sub in the CL final but failed to make a huge impression.

07/08 by this stage he was almost forgotten about and despite a few games in the middle of the season, he never looked like recapturing any form and fell off the radar completely in the final run in.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
When we signed him I truly believed we had signed the finishing part of the team, the player who could make the good Houllier team great and I still believe his talent could have but injuries, luck and other stuff hampered that. When a club is in a bad moment this happens I guess. Its a shame because I do think he got way more stick than he warranted or merited and he did help us in key moments. We saw he was a tremendous player when he was fit and in a side which complimented him (2006 side) and he gave us a tremendous season where we scored more point than any other team from October to May in the league, got the highest points finish in the league since we last won it and won the FA Cup. Farewell Harry, you could have been great but it wasn't meant to be.

One thing which leaves a bad taste in the mouth is ho he rejected a new contract form us, granted on lower wages even though he recieved unanimous support in the last 4/5 years.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Arf: I didnt know that - I thought no contract was offered at all. Did he really reject a lower offer?

There is a smug arrogance about Kewell that I just do not like - Even the fact that he has recently completed some games for Australia; Which he was only doing in order to impress clubs for a new contract. Dissapointing way for him to finish in England though.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
He signed in 03/04, and scored a bagful of goals in the first half of the season and then his injury woes began in the second half and he never fully recovered. That's like a full 4 and a half years ago.

04/05 he played regularly, largely because our squad was extraordinarily bad at this stage but he wasn't fit and his form was very poor, he was injured for the last couple of months of the season and came back in the champions league final taking Hamann's starting berth, and was replaced with Smicer after about 25 minutes after his snapped his hamstring again.

05/06 was by far his best season with us. He wasn't fit until about november when he made his come back and he was easily our best winger. Offered real balance and a touch of elegance to our play. Tortured Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final and got MOTM. Again he didn't last the first half of the final after pulling up injured, and went off in tears.

06/07 was virtually a total no show for Kewell, not coming back until the last EPL match of the season where he displayed he was still our best winger despite being half the speed he once was and totally unfit. He came on as a sub in the CL final but failed to make a huge impression.

07/08 by this stage he was almost forgotten about and despite a few games in the middle of the season, he never looked like recapturing any form and fell off the radar completely in the final run in.
nice post, Shaggy. :):thumbsup:

Nesty said:
he was a pool fan right?
i still remember the tears in the CL final
yes, i think he`s a liverpool fan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts