Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only read yesterday about our fanzone- apparently there were some smellies down there try to get the Bremen fans to sing anti-Rangers songs. :D I noticed this on the official site.

Good to see that we set up a fan zone for Barca, they gave us nothing and yet set one up for the green and grey. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Werder Fanzone A Success

RANGERS hosted a special fanzone in Glasgow today for Werder Bremen supporters following the success of similar ventures there earlier this season. It was the fourth such event the club has laid on for foreign fans at Merchant Square in the city centre since the campaign began.

The Light Blues received positive feedback from visiting clubs, various football authorities and full backing from Glasgow City Council after the other three.They were held prior to the home Champions League fixtures against Stuttgart, Barcelona and Lyon before Christmas.

Gers are believed to be the only club in Europe to have laid on a dedicated fanzone for visiting supporters and it has been welcomed by those who have experienced it so far. For Werder Bremen supporters visiting Glasgow for their club's UEFA Cup tie, activities at the fanzone this afternoon included a mobile football pitch and a computer games station.

Music and entertainment was also provided by a member of Strathclyde Fire Brigade Pipe Band and some of the Rangers cheerleaders while visiting fans were able to enjoy guided tours of Ibrox Stadium. Tours included a visit to Rangers' historic Bill Struth Main Stand and Trophy Room, as well as other key areas of the stadium.

Club chief executive Martin Bain said: "Our fanzones have been a tremendous success and we are delighted our pioneering initiative has received such positive feedback.

"We were also delighted to welcome Werder Bremen to Glasgow this week and wanted to give their supporters a warm welcome to Ibrox and the city."

Jim Templeton, President of the Rangers Supporters Assembly, added: "Werder Bremen, like Rangers, has a proud history as a club. Their supporters will know that in coming to Glasgow they have come to a great football city. As football people, we offered a friendly welcome to all of the Werder Bremen supporters who travelled to the match."

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a great idea but it's strange that this is the first I've heard of it. Maybe it's just advertised to the away fans buying tickets through their club.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good stuff. Hopefully we'll get the opportunity to lay on at least another one this season.

It makes alot of sense. I remember when I went to the World Cup a decade ago these were setup all over Paris and Bordeaux. It's good to have a place to congregate and I'd imagine it is easier to Police too.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
But again, we don't seem to get recognized for these things :confused: And the media are pro-Rangers?? :googly:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Free juice! I hope TB is going. ;)

That is what we want to see, the fanzone I mean. Considering how the city of Barcelona treated to teams from the same city differently it would be nice if in the longer term home sides provided a fanzone for everyone visiting. I think it would help hugely.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Yeah, everything seems to be going well so far. Well done to the Florence police for being sensible. I sincerely hope our fans behave themselves, regardless of the outcome of the match.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts