Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
the funniest part is that "The seller ended this listing early because the item was lost or broken."

with that said, i think people are being a bit OTT w harry. i've decried his apparent lack of effort in the past, but he's putting in spirited (if not good wrt end product) performances lately. here's an article on the topic:

Liverpool winger Harry Kewell says he's sick and tired of people having a pop at him over his recent performances.

The Aussie ace says the criticism isn't fair because he's only 70 percent fit and he adds that if there wasn't an injury crisis at the club he would be laid up resting. Instead of sitting out crucial games, Kewell insists he's playing purely to help the manager.

Kewell said: "Ideally I'd have taken a break because it's obvious I've been struggling to produce anything near my best for a while now. But the boss has terrible injury problems and I have to do my bit for the team.

"At this level of football if you can't run freely it's difficult, if not impossible, to deliver. I've been playing it a bit safe on the pitch because I know I can't produce the intensity people expect.

"It's been difficult and I've been the target for a few people who have rightly said I'm not up to scratch. What disappointments me is some of them have hammered me without acknowledging that I've not been fully fit. Everybody has a time when things go badly and this is my turn.

"I don't hide from the fact I've been below par. But after the Arsenal match I felt no pain for the first time in a while in my left ankle and that's encouraging.

"I haven't been training properly because of the injury (sustained against the Solomon Islands in October) and it's hindered me. My endurance and ability to perform at the level I know I'm capable of just hasn't been there.

"I'm confident I'll turn the corner soon because my confidence is still there and I'm now going to be able to get fitter.

"It's a game of slender margins, I've come close to scoring lately for both Liverpool and Australia and if one had gone in I'd have been treated a lot differently.

"I'm my own harshest critic. People expect something special from me and I have to me to live up to that."
-p

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think he is still a good player but his injured give me a chance to prove to your lot he is still a world class player. Maybe judge him next season if he his still with you.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I wonder how soon will all this be forgotten once Harry's found his form again.

To me there's two things that might happen: #1, Harry plays well now, but will have to miss the remainder of the season come Feb-March because of injury/tiredness or #2, He doesn't perform now, but gradually finds his form towards the end of the season. Either way, he'll be playing well for us at some point of this season. Given that is what should realistically happen (a little optimistic here), I'd rather have him playing well for us in the latter parts of the season, rather than now. We are coping well now without him performing at his best, so I don't think we should scrutinize him yet.

These criticisms are not even criticisms. They're just ppl letting off steam and finding a scapegoat without actually having much thought/empathy. It's the exact same thing that happened to Owen a few seasons back.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 seasons ago (2001) Michael Owen won the balon d'or, and also single handedly (well his left foot) beat Arsenal in the FA Cup final, one of my favourite memorys (what I've actually been alive to see) as a Liverpool fan. I don't think people were letting steam off at St. Mike that season some how.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I said a few seasons back, when he in a scoring drought. Don't remember which seson on the top of my hat. Perhaps it was two seasons back. I'm not sure.

I don't think "a few" means "three".

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think you'll find a few does mean three, just like a couple means two, or a dozen means 12 etc. etc.

BTW I'm not saying I condone this sort of behaviour towards Harry, who I think is a wonderful talent he's just lost it a bit I'm sure sometime in the future he will regain his form weather it's with Liverpool I'm not sure...

·
Registered
170 Posts
everybody who is a real red wishes harry well. being fans and all, some people get a bit passionate about their frustration and say hurtful things. i've been guilty of this as well on occasion.

i'm not entirely convinced about the year and a half of being injured, but it's not my place to say. you will find that people may have said negative things about the skill of other players who weren't peforming, but it was harry's apparent lack of effort and spirit that really got the fans. it's like seeing your favourite musician depressed and on drugs instead of making music. nothing is as unacceptable to an lfc fan as seeing an lfc player not showing the required commitment.

you will find that, by and large, harry's recent displays caused many fans to stop and think for a minute before they slate him. he wasn't good, but he worked darn hard and looked like he cared. giving him the benefit of the doubt on the injury, this was all we asked for. now we can sit back, watch him play and wish him well in regaining his form.

-p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts