Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
WARNING : every famous Albanian will be added in here following some rules

+ It must be an international celebrity or someone known outside Albania,

+ Proof required EXCEPT for those very obvious for us,

+Always a nice photo going with the name...

+ If you don't agree with this, don't post...

This thread i did take from member from another forum,it was very interesting so i decide to open this thread here.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gjergj Kastrioti
"Skenderbe"

Skanderbeg , c.1404-1468, Albanian national hero. His original name was Gjergj Kastrioti, but the Ottomans called him Iskender Bey with an inference to Alexander the Great, and this was corrupted into Skenderbe. The son of a prince of Northern Albania, he was educated in the Muslim faith as a hostage at the court of Sultan Murad II . The sultan showered favors on him and gave him the title bey and an army command. In 1443, when the Ottomans indicated they would attack Albania, Skenderbe escaped to his homeland, abjured Islam, and formed a league of princes among the Albanian chieftains. He proclaimed himself prince of Albania. To resist the Ottomans under Sultan Muhammad II , Scanderbeg received aid at various times from Venice, Naples, Hungary, and the pope. He had success in these wars partly because of the rugged Albanian terrain and partly because he employed a mobile defense force using guerrilla methods. He withstood repeated attacks and forced the sultan to conclude a 10-year truce in 1461 and never lost a battle. Skenderbe broke the truce in 1463 when Pope Pius II called for a new crusade. The pope's death (1464) forced abandonment of the crusade; Skenderbe, left without allies, had to retreat to his fortress of Kroia. After his death the league dissolved, resistance collapsed, and Albania fell to the Ottomans. Skenderbe's life is the source of many Albanian tales. He created a nation that captured the imagination of the world.

In Skenderbeg's tomb-stone it says 'Dux Illyricus'

Click here: http://www.illyriaentertainment.com/

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lekë Dukagjini
-Princ of Arbëria-

Lekë Dukagjini (1410-1481) is an Albanian historical figure, contemporary of Gjergj Kastriot Skanderbeg, who fought against the Turks and is known for the code of law instituted in northern Albania and still applied today in some remote areas known as Kanuni.

Leke is though to have been born in Ulpiana near modern Prizren, Kosova in 1410. The County of Dukagjini had its center in Lezhë, and included Zadrima, the areas North and East-north Shkodra, and expanded far north up to the territories of what today constitutes Serbia, having as the second center the town of Ulpiana. Until he took over the ruling of his county from his father Pal in 1446, Lekë Dukagjini had gained an overall knowledge, inspired by the European Renaissance humanism, in towns such as Venice, Raguza and Shkodër; meanwhile Skenderbeg had done a very rapid and excellent military career in the court of Sultan Murad II.

Lekë was an Albanian prince that inherited his father's, Pal Dukagjini, princedom when he died in 1446. His lands stretched in the north and northeast of Shkodër, with Lezhë as its capital. They included lands in present-day Kosova, such as Zadrima and Ulpiana.

Lekë was educated in Venice and Shkodër. He led the League of Lezha in 1444. He fought side-by-side Skanderbeg against the Turks, but they also fought against each other at times. However Lekë continued to fight against the Ottoman Empire until his death in 1481, sometimes besides the Venetians with the blessing of the papacy.

Overshadowed by Skanderbeg, Lekë Dukagjini is most well known for the set of laws ruling the highlands of northern Albania, known as the Kanuni. While identifying Skenderbg as the dragon prince who dared to fight and always win against any foe; cronicles portrayed Lekë Dukagjini as the angel prince who, with dignity and wisdom, ensured the continuity of the Albanian identity. The set of laws was active in practice for a long time, but it was not gathered and codified until the late 19th century by Shtjefën Gjeçov. The most infamous laws of Kanuni are those regulating blood feuds. Blood feuds have started once again in lawless northern Albania after the fall of communism in the early 1990s, having been outlawed for many years during the regime.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lekë_Dukagjini

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu
"Mother Theresa"

Mother Teresa was born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in Skopje*, Macedonia, on August 27, 1910. Her family was of Albanian descent. At the age of twelve, she felt strongly the call of God. She knew she had to be a missionary to spread the love of Christ. At the age of eighteen she left her parental home in Skopje and joined the Sisters of Loreto, an Irish community of nuns with missions in India. After a few months' training in Dublin she was sent to India, where on May 24, 1931, she took her initial vows as a nun. From 1931 to 1948 Mother Teresa taught at St. Mary's High School in Calcutta, but the suffering and poverty she glimpsed outside the convent walls made such a deep impression on her that in 1948 she received permission from her superiors to leave the convent school and devote herself to working among the poorest of the poor in the slums of Calcutta. Although she had no funds, she depended on Divine Providence, and started an open-air school for slum children. Soon she was joined by voluntary helpers, and financial support was also forthcoming. This made it possible for her to extend the scope of her work.

“By blood, I am Albanian. By citizenship, an Indian. By faith, I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus. ”Small of stature, rocklike in faith, Mother Teresa of Calcutta was entrusted with the mission of proclaiming God’s thirsting love for humanity, especially for the poorest of the poor. “God still loves the world and He sends you and me to be His love and His compassion to the poor.” She was a soul filled with the light of Christ, on fire with love for Him and burning with one desire: “to quench His thirst for love and for souls.”

Source:

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/saints/ns_lit_doc_20031019_madre-teresa_en.html

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
IBRAHIM RUGOVA

Ibrahim Rugova (December 2, 1944 – January 21, 2006) was the President of Kosova and its leading political party, the Democratic League of Kosova (LDK).

During the many conflicts in Kosova, Rugova was regarded as a moderate ethnic Albanian leader, and later by some as "Father of the Nation"

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ali Pasha Tepelena
-Ottoman Emperor-

Nuk asnje dyshim se figura me e rendesishme dhe me e famshme e historiografise Shqiptare neper kohera eshte figura e Ali Pashe Tepelenes, Pashait Shqiptar, sundues te Shqiperise se Mesme dhe Jugore, te fundshekullit te 18 deri me 1822.

Ali Pashe Tepelena qe mendohet te kete lindur diku mes intervalit te 1740 deri me 1750, ishte bir i nje familje aristokrate Shqiptare nga Tepelena. Gjyshi i Ali Pashes i qujatur Mukhtar, ishte nje komandant i zoti ne ushtrine Osmane, gje te cilen ai e pati treguar ne rrethimin e Korfuzit me 1716. I jati i Mukhtarit, Muçoja (apo Mustafai) ka qene Be nga Gjirokastra dhe besohet te kete qene muteselim (nen-guvernator) i nahijes se Tepelenes qytet qe ishte pjese e Sanxhakut (rrethit) te Vlores.

Source:

http://www.alipasha.tepelena.com/jeta.htm

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Aleksander Moisiu
-Actor (Switzerland)-

Alexander in the role of Romeo from "Romeo and Juliet", of Shakespeare, Berlin 1907

with Camillo Piloto, in "Lorencino de Medici", his last movie, 1934/35

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
ISMAIL QEMALI

(January 16, 1844-January 24, 1919), was a distinguished leader of the Albanian national movement, founder of the modern Albanian state and the first prime minister of Albania.

He was born in Vlora to a noble family. Having finished the primary education in his hometown, and the gymnasium "Zosimea" in Janina, in 1859 he moved to Istanbul where he participated in the efforts for the standardization of the Albanian alphabet and the establishment of an Albanian cultural association. He was imparted important functions in the Ottoman administration and was distinguished personality for his liberal views. Qemali's demands for democratic reforms pushed him into a conflict with the conservatist circles in Istanbul. The High Porte sentenced him to internment, and amnestied after a 7-year suffering.

He was a principal figure in the Declaration of Independence and the formation of an independent government of Albania in November 28, 1912. This signaled the end of almost 500 years of Ottoman rule in Albania. Together with Isa Boletini and Luigj Gurakuqi, he raised the flag on the balcony of two-story building in Vlorë. He was prime minister of Albania from 1912 to 1914.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
James Biberi
-US/Albo Actor-

# Find Me Guilty (2005) (post-production) .... Frank Brentano

# Diamonds Bullets & Fate (2005) .... Besnik
# Analyze That (2002) .... FBI Agent Miller
# Recipe for Disaster (2002) (TV) .... Rocco
# Fast Food Fast Women (2000) .... Trick
... aka Fast Food, Fast Women (France)

# Made Men (1997) .... Vinny Morganti
# Amongst Friends (1993) .... Passenger Narc

Filmography:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0080866/

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Joseph DioGuadi
-President of the AACL and Former US Congressman-

Of Arbër Origin...
Born in the Bronx, New York, on September 20, 1940, Joseph J. DioGuardi moved to Westchester County with his immigrant parents, brother, and sister in 1957. He is a 1958 graduate of Fordham Preparatory School, and in 1962 he graduated with honors from Fordham University.

Biography:

http://www.aacl.com/joe.shtml2.htm

1 - 20 of 84 Posts