Xtratime Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luck of draw puts Ipswich in Uefa Cup

By Ananova

Ipswich have qualified for the Uefa Cup through the Fair Play League.

The club suffered relegation from the Premiership, but had some luck when they were drawn to play in the Uefa Cup, starting at the qualifying stage.

They came out of the hat alongside Czech team Sigma Olomouc, the lucky two out of the 17 top-ranked national associations in the Fair Play League.

Ipswich were fourth in the English Fair Play League, but the three teams who finished above them - Manchester United, Liverpool and Newcastle - had all qualified for Europe through the league.

Copyright

GOOD NEWS FOR IPSWICH, AS IT MAY MEAN A COUPLE OF THEIR BIG NAMES WON'T JUMP SHIP SO FAST.....

·
International
9,526 Posts
wow, thats pretty incredible news, actually. I couldn't think of another deserving club, from a management point of view. I really do have a lot of time for Sheepshanks and Burley and this will definitely enable them to keep a few players they might have lost, as well as generating some much needed cash.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I think Ipswich's relegation was one of the cruelest relegations I've seen... they definitely didn't deserve to go down as they have a better team than many that finished above them and can play really nice football when they get their act together.

Guess they will keep all their players for the UEFA Cup campaign, and bounce straight back up to the Premiership.

I can also say fair play to Ipswich's fans, who are real class IMHO, who have been admirably stoic about the club's relegation in contrast to other clubs' fans who would have taken it very badly.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
This is indeed a shocker for Ipswich and their fans. But a shock that they will certainly recover from. After last season's (00-01)exploits, they do not deserve to go down. But this is the hard and cruel thing with football these days. Hopefully, George Burley can inspire the lads for a good cup run. Just like what they did when they went to San Siro to face Inter.:)

paw;)

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
In my opinion, it could have been any of the teams from 7th (West Ham) down to 18th (Ipswich) given there really isn't much to choose below the top six. Even my beloved Everton :eek:

If Ipswich are clear favourites to be promoted straight back up, who will join them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Whizz said:
Ipswich go straight back up thats a joke :howler:
...I could never really understand why Colchester supporters disliked Town so much even before Burley returned to Portman Road. Hell, for a time they were the old folks home for soon to be retired Town players. How's Micky Stockwell, Gav Johnson and Jason Dozzell these days??? ;)

I guess getting back into Europe is the silver lining to a disappointing season. Still, it's not like we won't be back in the Premiership sooner rather than later. While relegation has been disappointing, Sheepy has the club in a strong financial situation and the mass exodus the press are reporting couldn't be further than the truth. We'll be in the top 6 again next season. Hopefully this time we can avoid the playoffs and get an automatic promotion spot. Getting the Fair Play spot helps offset some of the losses incurred due to relegation. But it'll be find.

The future is bright, the future is Blue!!! ;)

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Gavin Johnson - Fat
David Gregory - Fat
Jason Dozzell - Retired
Micky Stockwell - Brilliant :D

And if I saw Mr Burley in Colchester high street I would spit on him :fero: The reason we hate that scotish pig is because he left Colchester only about a week after he took over and left ColU with no Manager :depress:

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I think that Ipswich's UEFA cup run was a big factor in them getting relegated. Their league form was suffering at that time and they never really recovered properly.
Another UEFA cup run could even hinder their Divy 1 campaign next season.
I am a Norwich fan though!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts