Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Win this and we're in the quater finals, but we mustn't get ahead of ourselves. Southampton will throw everything they have at us, they have been struggling in the championship this season but everyone knows anything can happen in the FA Cup. At the moment we sit 9 points off 5th place, its going to take an excellent run of results to qualify for Europe in the league so the FA Cup should be a top priority. Our form has improved a great deal recently and the moral of the team seems to have risen, lets hope the players are up for a good cup run.

Team news is that Carr, Owen and Taylor all definately miss the match through injury. Moore returned to training last week, but whether or not he is match fir remains to be seen. Shearer, Emre and Ameobi all reported niggles after the Villa match, but hopefully they'll be OK. Amdy Faye will probably come back in to contention after returning from the African Nations Cup.

I have no idea what sort of team Roeder has lined up for this match, the obvious decision would be to stick with a winning formula, however the extent of the injuries picked up to key players are not yet known, he may decide to rest some of them. Hopefully we'll see Luque given another chance in this match.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Quietly optimistic. Two words I haven't associated with Newcastle in a couple of months.

I very much doubt Luque will feature, unless he's put up front. No fault of Albert's, mind. Just that Mr. N'Zogbia's mastering the art of tap ins. It's the kind of game Luque could do well in, though. A right confidence booster.

Potentially, that is.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I agree, thats why I'd like to see him given a chance. I think if he got one it could potentially see him go on a goal scoring run, we all know he has the ability.

Heres the squad: Given, Harper, Elliott, Ramage, Boumsong, Bramble, Parker, Clark, Emre, Luque, Faye, N'Zogbia, Bowyer, Solano, Dyer, Chopra, Shearer, Ameobi.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The team news is in and its not good, Shearer misses the match with a calf injury :( I really hope its not too serious. In his absence Scott Parker captains the side.

Confirmed line up:

--------------------Given---------------------

Ramage------Bramble-----Boumsong-------Elliott

Solano-------Parker--------Emre---------N'Zogbia

-------------Ameobi-------Dyer---------------​

Subs: Steve Harper, Lee Bowyer, Amady Faye, Albert Luque, Lee Clark.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FT: Newcastle 1 - 0 Southampton (Dyer)

The only positive thing to take from this match is that we're into the next round. We had a decent first half and we're unlucky to go in at the break without a goal. However we were very poor in the second, especially defensively, we looked all at sea at times. It looks like we lack a communicator, maybe when Craig Moore returns he could add some leadership to the back line? Kieron Dyer scored a very good goal after some great work by N'Zogbia, it was probably our only decent bit of attacking play in the second half. As I previously said the main thing is that we're thhrough, but we'll have to play much better than that to beat Charlton at SJP in midweek.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My player ratings:

Given - 7, Kept us in it at one stage with a very good save, was there when he needed to be.
Ramage - 6, Solid enough, perhaps could have offered more going forward.
Bramble - 6, Looks a lot btter now although he got caught ball watching on a few occasions that could have lead to goals.
Boumsong - 5, Doesn't look comfortable on the ball, looks to really lack confidence
Elliott - 5, Almost handed them a goal when trying to get past an attacker, poor distribution.
Solano - 6, Linked up excellently with Dyer in the first half, faded in the second.
Parker - 7, Did what he's payed to do, solid display.
Emre - 6, Wasnt at his best today, gave the ball away cheaply at times.
N'Zogbia - 8, One of two bright sparks, always looking to take defenders on, great build up play for the goal.
Ameobi - 6, Looked bright early on, but was frustrating at times.
Dyer - 8, Looked very bright, his pace frightened the defenders, took his goal well.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The numbers for tomorrows draw:

1 Middlesbrough
2 Newcastle United
3 Aston Villa/Manchester City
4 Chelsea
5 Charlton Athletic
6 Liverpool
7 Bolton Wanderers/West Ham United
8 Birmingham City

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We've gone and drawn Chelsea away :depress: Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. We managed to knock them out at home last year, Kluivert scoring the winner, but I don't believe we have enough this year to trouble them away.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
buzyb said:
so emre was the worst player on the pitch. great :thumbsup: :rolleyes:
He was no way near the worst, just wasn't as good as he has been in recent matches, no one can be amazing all the time :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts