Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
look like real stars in the making

Sir Alex Ferguson could barely contain his excitement on Monday night after witnessing a debut to remember by Brazilian defender Rafael Da Silva.

The young right-back played the full 90 minutes of United's friendly win at Peterborough and did enough to suggest a competitive debut may not be too far away. His brother Fabio also impressed, at left-back, after coming on for Patrice Evra at half-time.

Sir Alex told MUTV's Stewart Gardner, "The young players were fantastic and young Rafael the right-back was a sensation for me.

"I thought it was a real eye opener for us. He hadn't played for a year but he's played a full 90 minutes today. His brother Fabio has played 45 minutes and he's also done well so we're really pleased by their contribution."

When Gardner asked if the Da Silva twins' integration will be gradual, Sir Alex responded intriguingly:

"You know what football's like. Sometimes it turns up some star, some little nugget maybe. On the evidence of tonight I think we have got a good player here."

·
Registered
293 Posts
look like real stars in the making

Sir Alex Ferguson could barely contain his excitement on Monday night after witnessing a debut to remember by Brazilian defender Rafael Da Silva.

The young right-back played the full 90 minutes of United's friendly win at Peterborough and did enough to suggest a competitive debut may not be too far away. His brother Fabio also impressed, at left-back, after coming on for Patrice Evra at half-time.

Sir Alex told MUTV's Stewart Gardner, "The young players were fantastic and young Rafael the right-back was a sensation for me.

"I thought it was a real eye opener for us. He hadn't played for a year but he's played a full 90 minutes today. His brother Fabio has played 45 minutes and he's also done well so we're really pleased by their contribution."

When Gardner asked if the Da Silva twins' integration will be gradual, Sir Alex responded intriguingly:

"You know what football's like. Sometimes it turns up some star, some little nugget maybe. On the evidence of tonight I think we have got a good player here."
Rafael was brilliant, fabio will also show his class soon enough. To hear such high praise from a coach like Sir Alex Ferguson must be great for a young player.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sir Alex described Rafael da Silva’s Old Trafford debut as “very promising” after the Brazilian teenager played 45 minutes in the Reds’ 0-0 draw against Juventus on Wednesday night.

The right back made his first Reds appearance on Monday night in the friendly against Peterborough, where he dazzled onlookers with his pace down the flank.

On Wednesday, he entered the game at half-time to loud cheers from the Old Trafford crowd and went on to catch the manager’s eye once again.

“Rafael started quietly but then he exploded into the game,” Sir Alex told MUTV.

“We’re very pleased with his progress and the boy has a great chance. When you bear in mind the fact that he’s not played for a year, it was a very promising debut at Old Trafford.”

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FERGUSON IS HOLDING A PAIR OF ACES

Fabio da Silva: Debut
Thursday August 7,2008
By Richard Tanner Chelsea have Luiz Felipe Scolari in charge, but Manchester United can boast the boys from Brazil.

Following the arrival of the Da Silva twins, Rafael and Fabio, Sir Alex Ferguson now has four Brazilian youngsters in his squad.

Throw in Argentinian Carlos Tevez and there is a distinct South American flavour to United again after the failures of Juan Veron (Argentina), Diego Forlan (Uruguay) and Kleberson (Brazil).

The first of the new wave of Brazilians to arrive was Anderson in an £18million deal from Porto last summer. He was followed by another midfielder, Rodrigo Possebon, who joined midway through last season and has impressed this summer.

But the Da Silva twins, 18, have excited Ferguson. He is not a man to throw superlatives around – but he described Rafael’s debut against Peterborough on Monday, his first game for a year, as “sensational”.

And he hinted Rafael could be pushing Wes Brown and Gary Neville for the right-back slot before long with Fabio, a left-back, not far behind.

“Rafael was a sensation against Peterborough – it was a real eye-opener. He hadn’t played for a year yet played the full 90 minutes,” said Ferguson.

“His brother Fabio played 45 minutes and also did well. We were really pleased.”

Now United boss Ferguson could fast-track Rafael because he already looks beyond the level of the reserves. He added: “You know what football is like – sometimes it turns up some star, a little nugget and certainly on the evidence of Monday night we have a good player.

“But they were both fantastic, absolutely brilliant. We knew that anyway, but considering they hadn’t played for a year it was quite amazing.”

United first spotted the Da Silva twins playing in a junior tournament in France. They kept tabs on them and their star
displays in helping Fluminense win the Manchester United/Nike Premier Cup in Hong Kong three years ago
convinced Ferguson they should be signed up.

United did that in February 2007 – much to the annoyance of Fluminense – but red tape prevented them from bringing the pair to England on a full-time basis until earlier this year.

To avoid the need for work permits – which they would not have received because they are not full internationals – the twins needed to apply for Portuguese citizenship. And FIFA rules do not allow youngsters moving countries to sign pro contracts until they reach 18, which they did early last month.

Finally, United had to wait for international clearance from the Brazilian FA, which they received last weekend. Ferguson said: “As soon as they agreed to sign for us a year ago, Fluminense wouldn’t play them and we couldn’t bring them here until they got Portuguese citizenship.

“That didn’t come through until after the transfer deadline had passed in January, so they have been training with us ever since without being able to play.

“But we got clearance from the Brazilian FA at the weekend and I put them straight in at Peterborough.”

Ferguson explained why United, in common with all the top clubs, are recruiting kids from abroad – and why he is happy to back the Manchester United/Nike Premier Cup, a tournament that brings together Under-15 teams from all over the world.

He said: “I watch academy games and it is the same humdrum stuff all the time to be honest. I don’t see anything exceptional or surprising. I don’t want to criticise our academy system, but I see a different football in this
tournament.

“The technique and comfort on the ball and the way of playing is more pleasing on the eye – to me anyway. That’s to do with a different football culture and upbringing.”

The twins caught the eye of Rio Ferdinand, who played at Peterborough. He said: “They looked like they had been playing regular games for the last two years – so that’s talent for you. You ask yourself, ‘Could an English player do the same thing?’ and it’s difficult to say.”

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fabio scored him first goal for the club in a friendly yesterday and along with Rafael is in the squad for shield this sunday.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rafael didn't get off the bench but nice to see him pickup his first first team title with United, Fabio didn't make the bench unfortunatly

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think the great man Ferguson will use them sparingly this season, next season could be the season where the RB slot will open up for Rafael to make his own. Fabio has Evra infront of him which will make it difficult for the foreseable future, but i believe Fabio will put alot of pressure on Evra to maintain his standards. The competition for places in the team can only be good for Man Utd.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that goes for Rodrigo also, the task this year is to prove that they can be key squad players next season

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rafael made his debut yesterday for 10 minutes playing right wing (not a position Fergie see's him playing long term but due to injuries) didn't get too many touchs but won a freekick on the edge of the box late on with a nice piece of skill.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
both on the bench for the first time in a league game, sadly didn't come on but may get some minutes in the supercup on friday

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fabio scored again for the reserves today from 25 yards

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Reds rock to Samba beat

Stuart Mathieson
2/ 9/2008

UNITED'S new Boys from Brazil have a tough nut to crack but they've leapfrogged their way into contention for the Champions League and Premier League winners.

Full back twins Rafael and Fabio Da Silva only received international cle arance to play for the Reds in pre-season after gaining their Portuguese passports. But the 18-year-olds have effectively been Old Trafford's property for two years after being spotted playing for Brazilian side Fluminese.

As soon as they were given the green light to play for the Reds Sir Alex Ferguson handed them senior squad numbers and they've immediately had impressive cameo appearances in warm up friendlies and Rafael made his Premier League bow as a sub against Newcastle.

The pair joined fellow Brazilian Rodrigo Possebon who was a new recruit last January from Sporting Club Internacional.

The 18-year-old midfielder made his breakthrough on the competitive stage by also appearing as a sub against Newcastle at Old Trafford.

Impact

For United fans it has been a surprise early impact by the relative young unknowns. Having seen the majority of the locally sourced Class of 92 emerge from Gorton, Bury and Salford the Reds are now liberally sprinkling their search for talent on their own doorstep with newcomers from Petropolis in Rio de Janeiro and Sapucaia do Sul.

But the South American influence is exciting the United support.

Former United Academy manager Les Kershaw, who still works part-time for the club, discovered the Da Silva twins but claims it was a piece of cake.

"It is a team effort at United so I claim no credit. In fact it was dead easy to spot them," Les told M.E.N. Sport.

"United's youngsters were at the Premier Cup in Hong Kong in 2005 and I was there with our boys.

"I was also helping to assist in the choosing the sponsor's Player of the Tournament.

"I watched a lot of games and Fluminese were one of the best sides in the tournament. But the Da Silva twins stood out. They were quite outstanding.

"You didn't have to be a special scout to notice that they were really, really good. I suggested Rafael as the Player of the Tournament.

"In the end the sponsors went for an Argentinian lad but I was very interested in getting the Da Silva boys to Old Trafford.

"The first team were out in Hong Kong at the same time and I told Sir Alex Ferguson to have a look at them. He immediately agreed with me when he saw them.

"From then on we got our scout in Brazil John Calvert-Toulmin to follow it up. He was brilliant and we eventually managed to agree with Fluminese.

"They are terrific full backs. What impressed me most about them was the way when they got knocked down they just got straight back up again and got on with it. They were like bouncing balls and very, very quick. They are like two little whippets.

"They are desperate to be players and they just lift the place.

"Trevor Brooking saw them in Korea at the Under-17 championships and he thought they were unbelievable.

Outstanding

"There are no wingers as such in Brazil they all play a 4-2-2-2 formation. So the full backs have to tear up and down the wings.

"They'll have to temper that in England and we have work to do on their defensive techniques but they have got an outstanding chance. I think they are going to illuminate the place."

Calvert-Toulmin then unearthed Rodrigo Possebon playing for Internacional.

With an Italian background an Italian passport was granted and the English speaking midfielder came over at the start of 2008.

"Rodrigo is a cracking lad and is getting better and better," Kershaw added.

"At the moment he is not playing the English game. We go for the 4-4-2 system but Rodrigo would be totally comfortable in the first team if we had a three-man midfield and he was the sitting player.

"But these are just little adjustments. You don't change the quality of the player. We are working on him. He's improving rapidly.

"He has excellent feet and can really leather a football. He's strong and is a good learner as well.

"Like the twins he has a fantastic chance over here."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1065020_reds_rock_to_samba_beat

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Rafael started in the champions league yesterday and did well, almost scored too.

I know Man U said they would on them about their defensive game but I hope their natural attacking instincts isn`t coached out of them

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting quote from Sir Alex before the Blackburn game saying that Rafael will be a star of the United team in the future, which is about the strongest terms i've ever heard him speak about a young player in.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
first premier league start yesterday, played ok for 65 minutes.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rafaels biggest game so far away to Celtic and bar a couple of rash tackles did well

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Walking disaster defensively but better than alot of wingers going forward.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First goal for the club against Arsenal, great left foot volley from edge of the box. If he continues to improve defencely can't see him not been the starting right back next season.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Im glad he's coming to!! I just wish he was on the left side... we have plenty of great RBs.... oh well. When he's 24 he's tear it up in the World Cup in Brasil....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
“We have great hopes for the lad. He’s impressed us a lot, has no fear of playing and has great belief in himself. I feel the boy has something special. He’s only 18 but he’s started very well.”
Sir Alex Ferguson

“He’s got such a great enthusiasm for the game. He just wants to play and to win. He loves to dribble, cross the ball, score goals… and he smiles all the time, which is brilliant to see. He’ll settle down and be a very good player.”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

“It’s healthy competition. Rafael’s come in this season and he’s a quality young player; I’m sure he’s the future for Manchester United.”
Wes Brown

“I saw Rafael [in the pre-season game against Peterborough] and I didn’t particularly like what I saw! Seriously, though, he has absolutely fantastic potential.”
Gary Neville

1 - 20 of 72 Posts