Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Injury shocker for Man Utd's Van Nistelrooy
tribalfootball.com - March 31, 2004

Ruud van Nistelrooy has suffered an injury blow which could keep him out of Manchester United's FA Cup semi with Arsenal on Saturday.
The problem was discovered when he reported for tonight's Holland v France Euro 2004 warm-up.

And, after missing both training sessions with the Holland squad to have intensive treatment, it is feared the knock is worse than first thought. He could even be forced back to England today.

The Sun says it is rumoured fluid has built up around the area where he had an operation to repair a ruptured cruciate ligament.

Van Nistelrooy, 27, will have a last-ditch fitness assessment this morning but will definitely not start the match.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Injury no problem for van Nistelrooy

Ruud van Nistelrooy should be available for Manchester United in the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal despite a minor knee injury.

The niggle was spotted when van Nistelrooy turned up for international duty with Holland ahead of the friendly against France.

But the Dutch Football Association confirmed that the striker could even play in tonight's match and should also be fit for the weekend.

Dutch FA spokesman Frank Huizinga said: "Ruud could still play tonight. The team has not been announced yet and he might be in it."

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Oh My God.. dont tell me that sh*t... we so cannot afford to lose Ruud right now! Anyone have any further news on this inncident?

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
vedz said:
Oh My God.. dont tell me that sh*t... we so cannot afford to lose Ruud right now! Anyone have any further news on this inncident?
shows you how depedent you guys are on ruud. need i remind you we beat you without henry before (until last final mins).

how can manu play without ruud? we shall see!!! :D

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
shows you how depedent you guys are on ruud. need i remind you we beat you without henry before (until last final mins).

how can manu play without ruud? we shall see!!! :D
We'll probably go on to hammer six past you.;)

The game should be a cracker.Cup games always produce something out of the ordinary and specially when these two teams meet there's plenty to talk about.Who could forget Giggsy's miss from outside the box or his mesmerising run which gave Arsenal defenders nightmares for a couple of seasons afterwards.Jus proves that these games are great levellers and form and predictions go out of the window.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
How sweet it will be if we were the ones to snuff out the Gooners' Treble hopes at the FA Cup semi-final stage. ;)

Ruud is rated as "very doubtful" on the United website vedz. :(

I'm praying that Ruud will be able to play, if not, with Saha cup-tied, up steps United's goal-scoring wonder Diego Forlan. :eek:

Solskjaer is back, and he'll give the much needed boost and bite to our attack. Carroll should be starting according to Sir Alex and he did well last week. We collected a number of positives from the previous game against Arse (Brown's confidence included), and even though we are hit with selection problems again there shall be no complaints, United should be able to weather any storm thrown in its path. :boxing:

COME ON YOU REDS! :fero:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
How sweet it will be if we were the ones to snuff out the Gooners' Treble hopes at the FA Cup semi-final stage. ;)
Yeah, it would be great :D. However what worries me is that Ruud is "very doubltful" and that can only be bad news for us.

Saha is cup-tied and hence he cant play either. Forlan is still in Uruguay or something. Ole hasnt played in the strikers role in quite a while now and even if he plays as the lone striker, then who will play on the right side of midfield?

Ronaldo is apparently still recovering from a minor injury. That will mean that Fletcher will have to play in the right side and lets just say I havent been really impressed by his performance bar a few.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by Alive&Kicking

How sweet it will be if we were the ones to snuff out the Gooners' Treble hopes at the FA Cup semi-final stage.

Treble hopes??? What hopes............Arsenal have no hope whn it comes to the CL.........they know they wont be able to beat Real in the semis, let alone he great AC Milan.

But they have the league but wrapped up and have a great chance for the FA cup.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ferguson opts to drop England stars

Manchester United's FA Cup semi-final plans have been thrown into chaos and part of the blame is being laid at the door of Sven-Goran Eriksson.

The England coach's fraught relationship with Manchester United took another downturn this week when he apparently went back on a deal for Nicky Butt and Phil Neville to play in Wednesday's friendly in Sweden while Gary Neville and Paul Scholes remained at home.

Sir Alex Ferguson struck the agreement in the belief that neither Butt nor Neville would be required to play for more than 45 minutes of the game.

Instead, much to the United manager's annoyance Butt appeared for 77 minutes of the 1-0 defeat, while Neville was one of two outfield players to complete the entire game in Gothenburg.

As a consequence, Ferguson has opted to write the pair out of Saturday's crunch encounter with Arsenal at Villa Park completely.

"We certainly didn't expect them to play for that long," admitted the United boss.

"We expected it to be half a game. The pair have ruled themselves out in a way and so I have had to change my thinking."

The anger at Eriksson's handling of his players is keenly felt, although Neville and Butt were likely to be on the bench at best and their absences will pale into insignificance should Ruud van Nistelrooy fail a fitness test on his knee injury.

Ferguson stated his star striker was "very doubtful".

While some pundits have suggested the Scot is merely trying to confuse the Gunners camp, the problem is sufficiently worrying for Diego Forlan to be called back from South America.

On the plus side, Ferguson is defending an impressive record in domestic semi-finals, having not suffered a single defeat in eight attempts in League and FA Cup since moving south from Aberdeen.

His last victory came in the 1999 epic against Arsenal at Villa Park, a match won by Ryan Giggs' astonishing extra-time strike after Peter Schmeichel had saved Dennis Bergkamp's last-minute penalty.

"Villa Park is a special place," said Ferguson.

"It generates just the right kind of atmosphere for a semi-final. The fans are close to the pitch and it seems to help the players.

"I have won three times there, which is a good omen. But we all know games like this can be very nervous occasions.

"Fortunately we have players with good temperament and that has helped us over the years. Hopefully it will be the same again."

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Preview: Arsenal v Manchester United

Sir Alex Ferguson is facing an FA Cup semi-final striking crisis after revealing Ruud van Nistelrooy is extremely doubtful to face Arsenal at Villa Park.

The 26-goal frontman picked up a knee injury in the Premiership encounter with the Gunners last Sunday, which swelled up when he reported for international duty with Holland the following day.

Ferguson though is fearing the worst and with Louis Saha cup-tied and Diego Forlan not due to return from World Cup duty with Uruguay until later this afternoon, his options are severely restricted.

"Ruud is a serious doubt," said Ferguson.

"It is looking very doubtful for him at the moment. All we can do is hope there will be a change over the next 24 hours.

"It would be a bitter blow for us if he was to miss out because he is the man who can win us the game.

"We do have plenty of players who can replace him though Diego Forlan will go straight to the team hotel tonight."

Arsene Wenger must decide whether to rest Thierry Henry as Arsenal face four vital games within the next nine days.

Wenger is set to be without Ashley Cole, who has a knee injury, and Gilberto Silva, who played for Brazil in midweek, while Sylvain Wiltord is not yet quite ready to return from an ankle problem.

With Ray Parlour and Pascal Cygan also missing, Gael Clichy will continue at left-back but Wenger must decide whether to rest Henry, who played 45 minutes for France in midweek, or place his trust in Dennis Bergkamp and Jose Reyes up front. Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires, Fredrik Ljungberg and Sol Campbell missed out on international duty but are all expected to be ready at Villa Park.

Top scorers: Thierry Henry (Arsenal) 31; Ruud van Nistelrooy (Man Utd) 26

Match odds: H 7-5 A 7-4 D 19-10

Referee: G Barber (Hertfordshire).

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Don't think Butt would have started even if he was rested in midweek.Looks like Fergie will continue with the Keano-EDD pairing in central midfield.

I'd like to see Fletcher given a start instead alongside Keano while Ronaldo is instilled on the right wing.Its imperative that we have pace down the flanks because this Arsenal team is susceptible to attacks down the flanks when it stretches out there formation.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Shaf said:
I'd like to see Fletcher given a start instead alongside Keano while Ronaldo is instilled on the right wing.Its imperative that we have pace down the flanks because this Arsenal team is susceptible to attacks down the flanks when it stretches out there formation.
I dont think Ronaldo will be playing tomorrow. Apparently he hasnt recovered from a minor injury :(.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
i bet even if he was or is fit, fergie would still play flethcer on the right:( ....everyone can see that fletcher cant do anything on the right, and that ronaldo is 50 times the player fletcher is on the right but still fletcher starts. but with solskjaer fit and if ruud is fitor ntofit what do u think the line up will be

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
if ruud is fit id play (carroll will definitely start so no point in choosing howard)

.................carroll

g neville brown mikael oshea

ronaldo keano scholesy giggsy

.........solskjaer rvn

if we play 4231 then

,............carroll

........scholes keano

solskjaer ronaldo giggsy

...........rvn

if ruud aint fit then

................carroll

.........fletcher/djemba keano

ronaldo scholesy giggsy

..............solskjaer

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If both Ruud and Ronaldo are out then I've a feeling Drito's last team will be fielded, with Solskjaer moving to the right and Forlan playing upfront. :(

Fletcher should not play on the right, he lacks pace and can't cross well.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
if both ronaldo and ruud are out...still i wouldnt risk playing forlan.......its the biggest game of the season for us...and the guy simply just doesnt deliver

so i would still play solskajer as a striker with kleberson on the right.....totally forgot about him.....actually in any team that fergie fields i would play him instead of fletcher and djemba

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Today's game proved one thing that Arsenal players couldnt head a ball even if their "Arse" depended on it.;)

Otherwise we could have been down 2-0 inside the first 15 minutes when Toure and then Pires both had open headers from barely 5 yards out.While Toure's effort was brilliantly saved by Carroll,Pires just headed it over with no one within 5 yards off him.Bergkamp had a effort cleared off the line in the first minute but after that the dirty bastard was more busy trying to cheat his way into a penalty or free-kick rather than doing anything fruitful.Arsenal had a claim for a penalty when the ball bounced awkardly and hit Micky's had but if the ref was to give that call then Pires would also have to be sent off for flailing out at Gaz just before the incident.

In a midfield consisting of Keano,Viera,Scholes and Edu, it was young Fletcher:proud: who simply dominated it.It seemed like the entire zone was his area and whenever he had he ball he looked majestic and when without it,Fletch was always closing down players and trying to retrieve it.Absolute magical performance.

Cristiano Ronaldo gave Clichy and Pires the run-around on the right flank and poor Clichy was always caught committing a bit too early.When the goal did come it was some superb play by Gaz and Giggs to set up Scholes.Gaz played a slide-rule pass which allowed Giggsy behind the defence and his pullover was calmly slotted by Scholes this time rather than the scuffed shot at the Library last week.

In the second half,we just sat back and allowed Arsenal to play.I was screaming for the players to push up because the Porto nightmare is still fresh in my mind;) but Arsenal just couldnt break through our resolute defence.At the back Keano and Brown:star: were simply superb.A flawless performance from both of them with Brown always there with the crucial headers.

Wenger brought in Reyes and Henry as a last ditch effort but both failed to create much.Henry was horrible while Reyes looked good whenever he had the ball but one Scholes tackles brought out the chicken in him and he faded after that.;)The tame effort at the end simply said it all.

So I'll end by saying that each and every United player was just magnificent today and deserved to go through.Arsenal looked tired and short of ideas and reality sunk in that their "Treble" hopes is now just that.......A fantasy.Millenium Stadium.......The red tide is coming!!!!!!:star::star::star::proud::happy:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Wicked game, end to end stuff, tempo was extraordinary and man utd fully deserved to win.

Ronaldo, Fletcher and Brown were out of this world today.............they showed the real quality that lies within them and all 3 could be up for man of the match.

People like Scholes, Gary Neville and Keane, who are man utd thru and thru just lead by example, and were phenomenal!

Everyone had a good game, from Carroll to Bellion who shud have scored in the last few minutes.

I was amazed how both pires and Lehman got just yellow cards for 2 acts of actual bodily harm, whereas the cheating bastard that is dennis berkamp didn't even get a warnig, let alone a yellow card.

Toward the end, arsenal were getting frustrated and just couldn't hack it, especially in midfield, and their showed their true self, and let me tell u it isn't nice!

Here's a decent match report

Just got 2 things to say:

To Arsenal fans: Treble My Arse

To united fans: Cardiff City, here we come!!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
kingkobra83 said:

Ronaldo, Fletcher and Brown were out of this world today.............they showed the real quality that lies within them and all 3 could be up for man of the match.

agree,they were just terrific.especially Brown and Ronaldo.Add one,captain Roy.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts