Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
come on...i can see that we'll go through...and postiga gonna score hat-trick... :D

come on u spurs... :fero:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FA Cup Preview: Tottenham-Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur - Manchester City | Latest News | News Archive

02/03/2004. BACKGROUND

Manchester City had plenty of chances to win the match at the City of Manchester stadium and Tottenham will be hoping to make Kevin Keegan's side regret their failure to take them.

Spurs recovered from a woeful first half performance to force a replay and they know that a trip to Manchester United is now at stake for the winners, which while being daunting is nonetheless appealing, especially for City.

White Hart Lane should be buzzing given the surprising and exciting signing of Jermain Defoe on Monday, although the £7m arrival from West Ham is unable to make his debut as he was not registered in time. The deal does mean that Bobby Zamora, who moved in the other direction, is not available and with Freddie Kanoute still on African Nations Cup duty the spotlight will be Helder Postiga to show he does still have a future at the North London club.

Neither of these clubs look like challenging for a European place via the league, especially Manchester City, who are more likely to be battling against relegation, so the importance of the FA Cup is very high indeed.

The clubs also met in the Carling Cup this season with Tottenham winning that encounter 3-1, but in that match and in both meetings in Manchester this season Keegan's side have created dozens of opportunities and only poor finishing has denied them.

FORM GUIDE

Tottenham: WWWWDL

After winning their first four games of 2004 the optimism which that run created has been eroded by a less than impressive performance against City and a defeat away to Fulham, although that loss was perhaps undeserved.

Manchester City: DL

Keegan's side were also in action in North London on Sunday and gave a fine account of themselves as they were only narrowly beaten 2-1 by the Gunners. However, playing well but not getting the result has been the story of their season, especially in recent months. The harsh reality is that their only win in the last 16 matches came in the third round replay against Leicester last month.

TEAM NEWS

Tottenham have Gus Poyet back from suspension and Mauricio Taricco back from injury, but Darren Anderton is likely to miss out with his Achilles injury. Dean Richards and Jamie Redknapp are also both unavailable.

Icelandic goalkeeper Arni Gautur Arason is in line to make his debut at the expense of Kevin Ellegaard as David James is cup-tied. New signing Daniel van Buyten is also unavailable as he was not signed in time to be registered.

PROBABLE STARTING LINE-UPS:

Tottenham: Keller; Carr, Doherty, Gardner, Taricco; Dalmat, King, Davies, Ziege; Postiga, Keane.

Manchester City: Arason; Jihai, Dunne, Distin, Tarnat; Sinclair, Barton, Reyna, Sibierski; Fowler, Anelka.
Rob Hogley

soccerage

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Half time 3-0, Barton sent off for City.

Am I loving this or what!

Great for Ziege to score but looks like the Defoe signing is now godsent as Postiga went off early with a suspected hamstring (maybe time for Rebrov to return :D).

Hopefully the extra man advantage (he got sent off at the end of the first half) will see us score a few more.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Jose luis pirri said:
Tottenham 3 Man City 4!!!!!!!!!!!! :wth:

Unbelievable match, what a comeback! :eek:
I feel so sorry for you guys. You must feel absolutely finished. :(

·
Registered
59,048 Posts
'Thanks Raven :thumbsup:

Just here to announce that I won't be around for the next few days. Absolutely disgusting. I cannnot believe it :mad: my appetite has gone for the time being :eek: 3-0 up , flipping hell

Feyenoord also lost btw. Absolutely disgraceful, I cannot believe it :depress:

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
You can only laugh... :eek:

Amazingly gutless performance in the second half and a shambolic result.

BUT fantastic comeback by City, and a standing ovation from me.

Hopefully this won't rock our boat too much and we can bounce back this weekend.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Hakan said:
You can only laugh... :eek:

Amazingly gutless performance in the second half and a shambolic result.

BUT fantastic comeback by City, and a standing ovation from me.

Hopefully this won't rock our boat too much and we can bounce back this weekend.
Good luck, guys. It has honestly dented my evening even though we won and all. I am the type of guy who feels the empathy for the weaker rather than the congratulation to the stronger. I don't know if that is right or not but all the best to you Spurs fans, and don't be gone too long, Wally.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is crazy...i m speechless... :eek:

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Hakan, what 'bounce back' bro? Our season's over....!?

The worst thing that happened yesterday was the sending off of Barton at half time. It gave City the 'nothing to lose' element they desperately needed for the second half. Spurs on the other hand thought 'game done' and probably spent half time talking about seating arrangements on the trip up to old trafford!!

We may never know what might have been had City stayed with 11. However, one thing is for sure and that is that our team must realise that a football match is for 90 plus minutes. Not 45...

Even the likes of me cannot begrudge City the key fortunate turnaround moments on this win (deflected 2nd goal and clear offside 3rd). Fair play to them and good luck against their old enemy...

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Hakan said:
Half time 3-0, Barton sent off for City.

Am I loving this or what!
wonder how much money you would have got for an city win if you bet at half time... Has anyone ever had to regret stating something like this?

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
JKris, our bro Hakan has a habit of speaking too soon and jinxing our team. There are various examples of that in this forum...

Hakan, why are you so impatient bro? How on earth did you manage to stay in your mum's stomach for 9 months? :D :D

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I'm amazed it took 13 posts to quote me on the above. And for Jem not to notice sooner (after the Robinson saga) :eek:

Yes, I suffer from a rare condition of 'foot in mouth' syndrome and obviously supporting Tottenham doesn't help my cause...

Just glad no City supporters are here:D

And we got Ironic's post. Just waiting for Jern next :fero: :D

I guess it's justice for laughing at Reyna scoring his first goal for Arsenal in his own net, God works in mysterious ways...:sob:

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Cem do you remember the Besiktas - Valerenga match a few years ago? BJK were leading 3-0 and looked to have wrapped up the tie BUT they somehow managed to draw 3-3? Well at least Tottenham proved Valerenga was nothing special...:depress: :yuck:

·
Registered
59,048 Posts
Just announcing that my exile has ended. Can't live without reading about Spurs. Read all reports :(

As for dreadful comebacks, a few years back, Feyenoord did the same in the UEFA cup against Stuttgart. We had won the first leg 3-1 away in Germany. Then in the return leg, we somehow managed to lose 3-0 at home :rolleyes: Bert Konterman scoring an own goal :howler: and then Freddie Bobic scoring in the 93rd minute ! but this one has to be the worst one ever!

As for the goals I saw, Kasey Keller proved once again that he has no feeling of where he should stand! Deano was dreadful. Doc should stay! but the question I want to know most is what did Pleat say at half time!!!

·
Registered
59,048 Posts
Hakan said:
I guess it's justice for laughing at Reyna scoring his first goal for Arsenal in his own net, God works in mysterious ways...:sob:
Must have. The almighty one hit me 3 times (symbolic figure) :howler:

First Spurs

Secondly Feyenoord, also in a cup game. Was 1-1, we should have been at least 4-1 up. Extratime, our opponents score twice in the 110th or so minute!

Thirdly Bayern Munich lose in the cup to Aachen and all of players, Erik Meijer scores the winner for them :eek:

:groan:

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
And yes, I know, not technically 13 posts...

Wally said:
Deano was dreadful.
Biggest waste of money. Far too slow and has dodgy ears.

Never bring anyone from Southampton again (after the Hoddle episode too).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts