Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Today is the day for Pompey. When I compare it to the atmosphere in Nürnberg last year when we were in the cup final and won it, I expect the whole city of Portsmouth to be crazy about that game and that occasion.

Good luck, Pompey! The last results in the league weren't good, but I think the final is a totally different game.
Although Louis hasn't posted anything in the last couple of weeks I'm sure he's nervous as hell. ;)

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BIG-MATCH FACTS

The 127th FA Cup has been the most unpredictable in living memory. Form counted for little as every round, from the turn of the year, provided more than its fair share of shocks and surprises, as one-by-one the giants were slain.

It is the first final for 17 years in which both participants come from outside the top seven since eighth placed Nottingham Forest faced 10th placed Tottenham in 1991, when the Londoners prevailed 1-2 after extra time.

Portsmouth are the sole Premier League survivors, aiming to become the first club outside the so-called 'Big Four' of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United to lift the trophy since Everton in 1995.

Pompey's participation ensures the top-flight have provided at least one participant in every FA Cup final since the formation of the Football League in 1888.

Cardiff City are the first non-Premier League club to reach the final since Millwall in 2004, and the 25th team from outside the top-flight to qualify for this showpiece.

They could become the first non top-flight side to lift the FA Cup since West Ham in 1980, and the lowest ranked to do so since non-league Tottenham in 1901.

Both clubs are aiming to win the competition for the second time in their history; Portsmouth won it in 1939, Cardiff in 1927.

A place in next season's Uefa Cup awaits the winners. Portsmouth have never qualified for Europe; Cardiff have had 14 campaigns in the Cup Winners' Cup as Welsh Cup holders, making the semi-finals in 1968.

The FA decided last month to allow Cardiff to represent England in the Uefa Cup should they win the FA Cup, despite their ruling that Welsh clubs can only qualify for Europe through their own national competitions.

This is the second FA Cup final to be staged under the arch of the new Wembley, after six years at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium. Both clubs are returning to Wembley after winning their semi-finals there six weeks ago.

The Welsh national anthem will be played prior to the game, along with God Save the Queen.

·
Registered
69,365 Posts
Kanu hits the post in the 22nd minute, good skill to get past the defense though

after a slow start, Pompey have started playing better

·
Registered
399 Posts
great day for pompey, weldone harry! heres hoping we can keep our quality international players in the clolse season, move a few on & bring in some fresh ones for our european tour in 2009.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Exhilarating atmosphere from any recent English matches I've watched these few years! :)

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Good on Pompey. Well done to the lads, hope thy can make an impact in Uefa.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah!!!! FA Cup Winners 2008 Portsmouth F.C. :)

Congratulations and good luck now for the european tour. I've watched the game yesterday evening. The atmosphere was really, really good.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Woo, back at last.

double post. tut

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
The selectively superstitous sod that I am, that after the Quarter final I decided to abandon all internet contact whether it be on message boards or on MSN until we brought the cup home.

Thankfully it all turned all right in the end, although the months, weeks, days and hours leading up to 16:54ish last Saturday were tough. I counted 6 serious panic attacks and thousands of strands of my gorgeous blond locks lost through the sheer weight of expectation and the horrible though of 'what if...' that grew more intense as the day drew nearer.

Managed to pluck up enough courage to watch the semi final in the company of others, shaking my head furiously through the first half before we started to turn it around after the break. As Ishmael Miller flashed West Broms best chance wide of the post I almost collapsed.

As for the final I even tried to swap shifts at work just so I could avoid watching what could be the most disappointing match of my life. Managed to turn down all offers of pubs, houses and even Southsea common as venues to watch what would be a painful 2 hours. Instead I decided to stay at home, with my treasured framed 1939 ticket stub and programme to smash if we lost and my old scarf to hang myself with if the worst did indeed occur.

The 120 minutes from kick-off to the final whistle were the longest of my life, never has a game passed by at such a painful pace.

Everytime something set me on edge I bolted it out to the kitchen and downed a point of chalky, Portsdown Hill bred water. Though unlike Jennifer Strange, winner of the inaugral 'Hold your wee for a Wii' competition (google it), I managed to stave off an untimely death from water intoxication.

I thought we performed well in an even first half, with Cardiff only posing a threat from set pieces. After we scored we dominated the game and probably should've extended our lead. We dealt comfortably with the pressure the Bluebirds put on us in the last 15 minutes and ran out deserved winners.

So after 2 hours of slow torture and around 18 pints of water downed I could proudly proclaim that my beloved football club had won a major trophy for the first time since 1950.

Something I never imagined I would see in my lifetime.

The relief I felt the next day was incredible, we hadnt fcuked up this glorious opportunity and we could now welcome our heroes back to the city. So like any good football fan would I got slaughtered and bounced around like an idiot waving at every car that went past in the 2 hours before the victory bus turned up.

Two days that will live long in the memory, oh and we've qualified for Europe for the first time in our history as well (ignoring our unsuccessful 93/94 Anglo-Italian Cup campaign)

I love you Sascha Gaydamak!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts