Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really looking forward to this. :cool: Will be too close to call imo!!!

How do you guys feel about the game?

Its basically do or die for both of us if we want to get into Europe!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
FA Cup Preview: Tottenham-Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur - Manchester City | Latest News | News Archive

02/03/2004. BACKGROUND

Manchester City had plenty of chances to win the match at the City of Manchester stadium and Tottenham will be hoping to make Kevin Keegan's side regret their failure to take them.

Spurs recovered from a woeful first half performance to force a replay and they know that a trip to Manchester United is now at stake for the winners, which while being daunting is nonetheless appealing, especially for City.

White Hart Lane should be buzzing given the surprising and exciting signing of Jermain Defoe on Monday, although the £7m arrival from West Ham is unable to make his debut as he was not registered in time. The deal does mean that Bobby Zamora, who moved in the other direction, is not available and with Freddie Kanoute still on African Nations Cup duty the spotlight will be Helder Postiga to show he does still have a future at the North London club.

Neither of these clubs look like challenging for a European place via the league, especially Manchester City, who are more likely to be battling against relegation, so the importance of the FA Cup is very high indeed.

The clubs also met in the Carling Cup this season with Tottenham winning that encounter 3-1, but in that match and in both meetings in Manchester this season Keegan's side have created dozens of opportunities and only poor finishing has denied them.

FORM GUIDE

Tottenham: WWWWDL

After winning their first four games of 2004 the optimism which that run created has been eroded by a less than impressive performance against City and a defeat away to Fulham, although that loss was perhaps undeserved.

Manchester City: DL

Keegan's side were also in action in North London on Sunday and gave a fine account of themselves as they were only narrowly beaten 2-1 by the Gunners. However, playing well but not getting the result has been the story of their season, especially in recent months. The harsh reality is that their only win in the last 16 matches came in the third round replay against Leicester last month.

TEAM NEWS

Tottenham have Gus Poyet back from suspension and Mauricio Taricco back from injury, but Darren Anderton is likely to miss out with his Achilles injury. Dean Richards and Jamie Redknapp are also both unavailable.

Icelandic goalkeeper Arni Gautur Arason is in line to make his debut at the expense of Kevin Ellegaard as David James is cup-tied. New signing Daniel van Buyten is also unavailable as he was not signed in time to be registered.

PROBABLE STARTING LINE-UPS:

Tottenham: Keller; Carr, Doherty, Gardner, Taricco; Dalmat, King, Davies, Ziege; Postiga, Keane.

Manchester City: Arason; Jihai, Dunne, Distin, Tarnat; Sinclair, Barton, Reyna, Sibierski; Fowler, Anelka.
Rob Hogley

soccerage

=====================

match preview: spurs - man city...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=136749&cc=5901

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! on one of the best second half performances i have ever witnessed,you bossed the muppets from Spurs with 10 men :cool:

WHAT A JOY TO WATCH!!!!!!

I FuKIn Love you :D

3-0 down
4-3 Up
you knocked Tottenham out the cup :howler:

GREAT WIN LADS,WELL IN :thumbsup:

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Brilliant!

The magic of the FA cup. :D :cool:

Not looking good for Spurs though. I think at the moment the only side who couldn't beat Spurs is Spurs. And Blackburn. :D

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
And Liverpool!:tongue: Id have said the same about City before today. What a turnaround at half time. Keegan must have found a way of cheering the team up at last. If we'd have lost today I honestly believe that Keegan would have walked! The football we played was unbelieveable. I feared the worst at half time and when at 2 0 down Anelka hobbled off I was devastated. But if we battle like that every game we'd be right up the table. Typical City and wait til were 3-0 down before playing! Anyway Im happy and off for a pint.

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
andrewcryne said:
And Liverpool!:tongue: Id have said the same about City before today. What a turnaround at half time. Keegan must have found a way of cheering the team up at last. If we'd have lost today I honestly believe that Keegan would have walked!
He himself said in the post match interview that he was looking for the nearest job centre at halftime, and it was only half-jokingly. :tongue:

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Didn't realise we had a City forum.

So a belated congrats.

We still beat you in the FA Cup final in 1981 though (how sad...:eek: :D ).

Good luck for the next round.

·
Registered
555 Posts
unbelievable!!!:star: wow what a game, definitely the best of the season so far...;)

sun jihai,sean w.philips,the keeper and the winning goal scorer were truly players of the game:)

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Too buzzing last nite to come online, it was that good! That match was the best I have ever seen. I was thinking that at 3-0 we had no chance (as did everyone else). The sending off was ludicrous and we were terrible in the first half. The second half was the best comeback ever, we made spurs look like they had ten men! Everyone on that field in the second half is a hero! Arason was amazing and made 3 world class saves. Dunne was a rock at the back when Spurs were threatening for a spell after Bosvelts goal. Sun got forward well as always. Bosvelt worked his balls off and is proving why Feyenoord worshipped him. Sinclair had his best game in about 2 months, and did well when attacking. Macken took his goal well and held up the ball great to relieve the pressure on the back. Fowler worked hard but lacked the final touch that game, great ball for SWP though. Finally SWP, Man of the Match! Great play and made up Joey Barton's absence by working himself into the ground. His goal was well taken and he proved his quality right in front of Eriksson (hint hint ;))

Its just the way we came back that is amazing and it is THE greatest comeback ever. Truly great match. Wish I could have gone but for stupid mock GCSEs! Typical, I went to the Carling Cup game and we lose that due to a horrible first half display, when I don't go we win! The same happened when we lost to southampton last year with a terrible performance and then won there this year when I couldn't go!

~ The Green :happy:ne

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Don't get so excited TGO; just a regular comeback :eek:

Amazing for the home fans and for the neutrals. The only positive I take from this is that of 'football is alive' and 'The FA Cup is a great competition'.

This was the night, I wish it wasn't against my team, because I'm sure watching the highlights would have been an enjoyable experience for fans other than Spurs.

Good for the image of English footie and even more remarkable for the fact you had 10 men and Anelka off.

Gonna get a season ticket though, thats what support is about (as our blessed City fans know) :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts