Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slate.com has a good series going by Matthew Yeomans about experiencing the WC among the passionate soccer fans of New York City.

Well worth reading, especially for you former and current New Yorkers.

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066409&entry=2066509

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Yesterday on the way to New York, I have never seen so many trucks and cars with Go USA WC 02 Japan on them. Now the Unique thing about this was that most of them were not done in paint or hand written posters. no that would not be the NY style, but hand written out in the dirt that was on the vehicles. Its nice to see New Yorkers, and Jerseyites clean part of there vehicles once every 4 years. :cool:

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Paulmay...we are a classy bunch...why waste your time making up signs when there is enough dirt to do it with your fingers on the back of delivery trucks, busses, trunks, rear windows, etc etc...we are an inovative bunch...

Anyway...here is a good story. About 5 years ago, my friends an I were going home on the Deegan (going north) and right about Yankee Stadium there was this huge traffic jam due to an accident being cleared. ANyway, traffic was at a stand still...so the 4 of us got out of the car, took out our soccer ball and had a 2 on two right on the shoulder of the Thruway by that warehouse by Yankee Stadium....by the way, my team won 3-2.....;)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
JureM there is a huge traffic Jam there every single Damn day. I think New York is one Huge Traffic jam. Next time that happens give me a call on my cell I will be stuck on the cross bronx anyway Ill join in.:D

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
The two places I'd hate to live...

New Jersey and Long Island...traffic is total hell.....;)

Oh and Paulmay...anytime, we can always use a few extra players during the many traffic jams...

To those that do not understand, traffic in and around NY City can be hell...downtown manhattan is about 15 miles from my house, and that trip can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours....especially if those damn Yankees have an afternoon game during the work week....:D Also, you guys have to understand, the Cross Bronx Expressway which Paulmay mentioned....it could be 4 am Sunday Morning and there is still a traffic jam there....

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
JureM they have this new Plasma TV on 495 just b-4 you enter the Midtown tunnel. They do this knowing you can watch a full length movie on it B-4 you hit the toll plaza. Now they should do that along the cross bronx at 3:00 pm when the have the taped matches of the WC Ill never curse in my car again abou the traffic.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts