Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXCLUSIVE Liczka would lead Poland revolution

Thursday 13th June 2002

Werner Liczka has revealed there would be widespread changes if he is appointed to replace Poland coach Jerzy Engel after the World Cup.

"There are some players who should say goodbye," the former Polonia Warsaw coach told onefootball.com. "I watched the game against South Korea and Poland played very badly."

Liczka guided Polonia to a Uefa Cup place last season and is currently in charge of the Czech Republic Under-21 side.

The Czech is highly-regarded in Poland and there are growing calls for him to replace Engel, should the underfire boss leave in the wake of the country's poor showing at the World Cup.

And Liczka has seen plenty to improve on.

"First of all, the Polish players seemed too confident before the World Cup," he said. "They said they would go far and maybe even get a medal. When speaking they are very strong, but on the field they don't back it up.

"Poland must make a deep analysis of their World Cup defeat as changes are needed. They need to sit down and talk to some players and ask them whether they are ready to make a sacrifice for the national team.

"To be honest, I think that, for some players, the national team is not as important as the club where they get their money. These ones should not play for the national team."

He went on to insist that Poland need a more youthful feel. "Young players like Kamil Kosowski, Tomasz Dawidowski, Marek Zienczuk and Marcin Kus all deserve their chance," he argued. "Poland cannot afford to ignore them."

He added: "I only worked for a year in Poland and now Polish and Czech journalists ask me about the national job. To be honest, I am proud of it as it means they appreciated what I did at Polonia Warsaw.

"But don't discuss this possibility while Jerzy Engel, for whom I have much respect, is still working with the Poland team and I have my job with the Czech youngsters.

"But as I mentioned, it is a big honour for me to be among the people who could theoretically take over."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts