Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday 2nd July 2002

Newly-promoted Premiership side Birmingham City have lodged a £4 million bid with Panathinaikos for Poland striker Emmanuel Olisadebe.

His Greek agent met with PAO director Angelos Phillipides on Monday to present an offer from the Blues, a club source told onefootball.com.

The Nigerian-born striker failed to find his top form at the World Cup with only one goal in three matches in a disappointing Poland team but the 23-year-old has continued to attract interest from European sides.

Despite his scintillating form in last season's Champions' League, Olisadebe has struggled for first team opportunities with PAO, and has made no secret of his desire to move on.

Competing for a starting berth with three other front-line internationals in Michalis Konstantinou, Nikos Liberopoulos and Goran Vlaovic, Olisadebe spent much of last season on the bench first under coach Yiannis Kyrastas and later Sergio Markarian.

Olisadebe was named among France Football's top 50 players in Europe earlier in the year after his goals fired Poland into the World Cup finals as the first European qualifiers.

Birmingham have already moved to strengthen their squad ahead of the Premiership campaign, signing Wales midfielder Robbie Savage. They are still in negotiations with Paris Saint-Germain over Senegal defender Aliou Cisse.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Olisadebe cleared for £3.3m Birmingham move

Thursday 11th July 2002

Poland striker Emmanuel Olisadebe is on his way to Birmingham City after the newly-promoted Premiership club agreed a £3.3 million deal with Greek side Panathinaikos.

"I am very excited about the prospect of playing in England and for Birmingham City," he declared. "Who wouldn't be?"

The Nigeria-born forward agreed personal terms with Birmingham last week and was growing increasingly frustrated with the clubs' inability to agree a fee.

However, a deal was finally struck in the early hours of Thursday morning and Olisadebe will now be asked to leave Panathinaikos' pre-season training camp in Austria and return to Athens to meet Birmingham officials and sign the contract.

As onefootball.com revealed a fortnight ago, Olisadebe is desperate to seal a switch to the Premiership after an unsettled season in Greece, while Birmingham are keen to add power to their attack as they look to consolidate in the top flight.

The 24-year-old confirmed on Tuesday: "There have been discussions through my agent and there remains a few details to be settled between the parties before I sign.

"Still, we have to wait a couple of days more in order to resolve all matters and there is no difference at any stage between Panathinaikos and Birmingham. Then it will be my turn."

Olisadebe failed to find his top form at the World Cup, with only one goal in three matches for a disappointing Poland team, but has nevertheless continued to attract interest from European sides.

The former Polonia Warsaw hitman was named among France Football's top 50 players in Europe earlier in the year after his goals fired Poland into the World Cup finals as the first European qualifiers.

Birmingham, meanwhile, have already strengthened their squad in the close season, signing Wales midfielder Robbie Savage and Senegal skipper Aliou Cisse.

onefootball ;)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Some say Birimingham have given up on Olisadebe as they prefer to sign Clinton Morrison from Crystal Palace. If it happens to be true, then Steve Bruce makes a big mistake. Some say Olisadebe demands too much money. If it is true, then Olisadebe makes a big mistake. And some say Olisadebe is still likely to move to England. I hope they are right.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I feel the same. This Morrison guy will not be anything while Olisadebe could potentially become a star. Seems to be Dudek all over again.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yeah, that's strange. Nearle a week after it all collapsed, their manager claims Olisadebe failed medical teasts. Something's fishy there. Obviously, Oli isn't the healthiest man in the world but he's young enough to recover soon. And in Panathinaikos they haven't noticed anything suspicious.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
What a nice man this Steve Bruce is. First the whole Europe can hear him announcing that Olisadebe is almost an invalid and swearing that was the reason for not signing him. Just few days after he claims that Olisadebe's health is perfect and he wasn't bought by Birimingham for some mysterious reasons that can't be given to public. I have no words :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts