Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not an Everton fan but I am curious as to how their fans think they will do in the next few seasons.

Everton had a similarly impressive season in 2002/03 when they just missed out on a UEFA Cup place on the last day by losing to Manchester United (eventually finishing 7th). Everyone expected them to push on from that season and get that UEFA Cup spot, but what happened was actually quite different.

It seemed that in 03/04, the Everton squad were still basking in the glory of their previous season as they struggled in the bottom half of the table. It showed that it was not neccessarily talent that had achieved their 7th spot, but motivation.

For some reason (possibly Rooney's departure), Moyes' squad reclaimed the winning mentality of 02/03 and have so far looked very impressive and expect to clinch a Champions League spot. With the absence of major squad changes over the summer, it seems that it is merely a change in attitude of the Everton squad which has transformed their league standings. In terms of talent and ability of individual players, Everton still are a lowly team so it just goes to show how well Moyes has done to inspire these players to work so hard and play above their ability.

The question is how can Everton approach the 05/06 season? Obviously a lot will depend on whether or not they will be recieving Champions League revenue but some difficult decisions will have to be made by Moyes.

Does he keep the same set of players and save the money for a rainy day?

Does he sign similar players who make up for their inferior talent with incredible work rate?

Does he go for foreign stars to add attacking flair to his team now they are in European competition or would this ruin the work ethic of the current squad?

How does he avoid a repeat of 03/04 and motivate the players for another hard season where their opponents will know their game and how to stop them?
[/list]

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Good Question.

In 02/03 I wouldnt say it was the last game of the season that lost us a CL spot, but the last 5 games that we couldnt win one. That was due to our small squad and losing one key player to injury. Radz. Rooney was suspended and we had Watson playing center forward.

In the 03/04 season we entered the year broke and signed no one in the summer. Counting on the same form of Previous season. Then Key injuries hit. Yobo, Hibbert, Li Tie, Wright, Ferguson (as Usual) And Watson. Add all the off field distactions of no money, Rooney will he play will he be transfered, and all the media attention from that inhibited Moyes from getting the work ethic from his players that was our success a year prior. Then add all the Board room Squables contract renewals being stalled, makes me wonder how we stayed up.

This year with the sale of Rooney kept the media attention off Everton as well as got us out of debt. That kept the boardroom in check, and Moyes can concentrate solely on Football. The fact we still have a small squad that remained injury free this season has helped us be more consistant, and get back to Moyes style of Football.

As for the future I see us signing Moyes style of players, great work ethic and are willing to leave their hearts out on the pitch. Everton still wont have the money for High priced flair players and Moyes wont want them. He realises that we need to bulster the squad in numbers in order to play the extra matches in European compitition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts