Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a bloody farce. There is no way we should throw a two goal lead away with 10 minuets left in the match. The only positive we can take from this match is Wayne Rooney managed to net two for the first time this season. I hope this will spark him to score more than he has. We will need him to make a good scoring run to escope the relegation zone.

Report from Moyes:

Moyes slams players

Everton boss David Moyes slammed his side after they threw away a 3-1 lead to allow Southampton a point in a six-goal thriller.
Southampton were spineless in the first half but the visitors only had Wayne Rooney's deflected drive in the seventh minute and Duncan Ferguson's deft 32nd-minute header to show for a hatful of chances.

The interval introduction of James Beattie and Fabrice Fernandes sparked the home revival and Kevin Phillips leathered home a loose ball just before the hour.

Rooney smacked home his second after 77 minutes but Saints hit back again and Beattie swept home from the penalty spot after Tobias Linderoth's foul on David Prutton, reducing the deficit to 3-2. Fernandes' brilliant curler tied the score at 3-3 as the game ticked into stoppage time.

Moyes said: "We should have killed it off in the first half with the chances we missed. We were the better side in the first half, no question, and should have scored more. We should have gone in 3-0 or 4-0 up.

"My players knew Southampton would go very direct in the second half. They wanted to get it up to the front boys and play off them. Then we made it 3-1 with 10 minutes to go and wanted to see the game out."

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Not surprising it was a ref blunder that let them back into the game, the pen that was given should of been a free kick outside the box. I was surprised Moyes didn't make more use of his subs near injury time to wear down the time as well. Definatly 2 points lost though :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts