Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Moyes will use his fifth different goalkeeper in six games as Everton bid to maintain their unbeaten run in the Barclays Premiership at Newcastle tomorrow.

The Everton boss was forced into a desperate late race to sign a keper on loan in time for the trip to St James' Park after Arsenal pulled the plug on a move for Mart Poom.

And the Scot, who admitted "teams will not let you have their second-choice keepers", will make Sander Westerveld only the 14th man to play for both Everton and Liverpool since the war.

Westerveld has fallen out of favour at Portsmouth and played just seven first-team games this campaign.

But the Dutchman said: "I haven't been playing much and I had a difficult time at Portsmouth.

"This is an opportunity for me and I am hoping to help the team. And I hope they help me and it will all be very positive.

"When you are with a team at the bottom there is pressure and everything is very difficult. So it is good to step out of that into an environment that is a lot more positive.

"I had an opportunity to go on loan to Championship clubs, and I didn't like that situation. For me this is perfect with a Premiership club who are doing well at the moment."

Westerveld explained he was standing outside Stamford Bridge when Pompey manager Harry Redknapp rang him to say Everton wanted him.

"I was on my way to see Chelsea play Barcelona, so I just gave my tickets away and rushed back to Portsmouth to get my things and then fly up to Merseyside.

"I have a lot of friends around Liverpool, I enjoyed my time at Anfield and it is good to be back in the city.

"I have had a few interesting derby matches against Everton - I was sent off once - but this new move is something I am looking forward to."

Everton, who are unbeaten in seven league games and in a much healthier position than before Christmas, are beginning to look towards Europe rather than the relegation battle.

Moyes said: "The league table makes better reading than it did a few months ago, but I aim to get us into the top 10 and stay there.

"We are going to need to win most of our last 12 to get us into a position to even compare with last season.

"We want to keep this run going, and the way we have been playing I believe we can do it.

"I haven't been re-assessing targets just because we have been doing well. The season has been so up and down for us, we have gone five games without a win and then won several.

"We are finding it difficult to really understand where we are, but we are certainly happier with our current form and position.

"We have 12 games to go, and if we can maintain this level of consistency we will end up in a very decent position.

"What we do not want to do is to slip back and lose the balance we have. I am aiming to finish in the top half, and we still need another couple of wins to make sure we don't fall through the trap door."

Bringing in Westerveld means Moyes will not be forced to field teenager John Ruddy, who made his debut when Iain Turner was sent off against Blackburn.

"We needed a keeper with a knowledge of Premier League football," said Moyes.

"It will not be for just one game, we will have Iain Turner back after suspension, but with Nigel Martyn recovering from an operation - and he won't be back for at least a month - plus Richard Wright also injured, it was a very difficult situation.

"We have been pleased with John Ruddy, but it was not fair to expect him to handle such a situation. He is one for the future and we are very confident in him, but there is a need for top-level experience."

Everton have Phil Neville, Tony Hibbert and Duncan Ferguson suspended along with Turner, but have defender Joseph Yobo back in the squad after he played in the African Nations Cup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts