Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moyes 'Keane On Robbie'
Tue 23 Nov, 9:09 AM

Everton are reportedly keeping a close watch on Tottenham striker Robbie Keane as David Moyes prepares to spend in the January sales.

The Republic of Ireland international has emerged as a leading target for the Goodison club, with Moyes prepared to spend around £7million of his expected £10million transfer kitty to secure the 23-year-old's services.

Despite excelling for his country and in the Carling Cup, Keane has disappointed in the Premiership so far this campaign with just two goals.

And although the struggling White Hart Lane club would want to keep him, they would consider an offer as Martin Jol would then have funds to bring in his own players.

Long-term target James Beattie remains high on Moyes' wishlist for striking reinforcements in the New Year, but the Everton manager would not be able to afford both the Southampton frontman and Keane. If one does move north in January, however, the other could follow next summer.

Moyes is desperate to bolster his side up front despite them having ascended to the lofty heights of third place in the league. Summer signing Marcus Bent has done well at the isolated tip of Moyes' preferred 4-5-1 formation, but beyond him Moyes has limited resources.

Veterans Duncan Ferguson and Kevin Campbell are not expected to have their contracts renewed when they expire at the end of the season,

James McFadden, another option up front, is struggling for form yet he insists he has no plans to request a loan move despite his lack of first-team action.

The 21-year-old forward is yet to play a full 90 minutes in the Premiership this season and both Rangers and Celtic have been linked with a loan swoop for the Scot.

But he said: "I can't complain about my situation because we have been playing really well and have lost only three games. It would be petulant to moan - it would take away from the good work the boys have done.

"It's not a nice feeling to train every day and have nothing at the end of the week. However, I can accept it better because we're winning most weeks.

"I've never tapped on the manager's door to ask about the situation. When I spoke to him at the start of the season it was him who asked me into his office.

"We had a chat about what he expected from me and what I expected from myself. I told him I felt confident to come to his door about anything, but so far I have never felt the need.

"Going out on loan might be an option a lot of players would consider and they couldn't be blamed for doing so. However, I want to stay and fight for my place. I'm determined to do that."

More news from SportingLife.com

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I think Keane would be good if we could get him on the cheap, he is a favourite with the club's fans so he may not want to leave, but the managerial difficulties Spurs have had in recent months may change his mind. The worst thing we could do is spend the majority of the money on just one player, this happened with Wright when he was given high expectations but failed to succeed. I also think we need to concentrate on british (and Irish) players who are more likely to be hard working regardless of any future situations the club may be in.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
_Eight_Ball_ said:
I think Keane would be good if we could get him on the cheap, he is a favourite with the club's fans so he may not want to leave, but the managerial difficulties Spurs have had in recent months may change his mind. The worst thing we could do is spend the majority of the money on just one player, this happened with Wright when he was given high expectations but failed to succeed. I also think we need to concentrate on british (and Irish) players who are more likely to be hard working regardless of any future situations the club may be in.
Yah but is Robbie a Moyes type player. Will he work his butt of like the rest of our squad. I think he might be just what we are looking for, maybe more so than Beattie

·
Registered
59,137 Posts
For 7 million, I might be tempted to sell him.

Why did you get sell Radzinski btw? I liked him and he's pretty similar (small, quick nippy forward) to Keano who you'd have to pay twice as much for if the rumour's to be believed.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
It was more of Radzinski leaving us than selling him. Last season he refused to sign a any contract extensions. I guess the advantage with Keane is his age, but I can't see him coming much cheaper than 7 million as you say.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He also trashed the club in the Media and said anyone with any sence would leave the club. Not the kind of statement that would endear you to a club

·
Registered
59,137 Posts
ah right, I see. Didn't know that :eek: I guess he wanted a juicy sign on fee most, since moving to Fulham hardly is a step up. Shame really, since he formed one my favourite ever striker partnerships with Koller at Anderlecht.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wally said:
ah right, I see. Didn't know that :eek: I guess he wanted a juicy sign on fee most, since moving to Fulham hardly is a step up. Shame really, since he formed one my favourite ever striker partnerships with Koller at Anderlecht.
I cant blane Rads. After the fiasco this summer it is easy to see where his frustration was comming from. I thought at times he was our best player last season

1 - 8 of 8 Posts