Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know, he's been abscent for a while , but nonetheless :
he was about to be selected for the world cup ! , but then again, in that friendly game where he got injured early on (achilles problem , i dunno if this is correct english :) )... but still, he would be selected, if he wasn't injured !!

and seeing now we have bad back wingers (except for zambrotta), but if we play with 4 defenders, we need 2 wingers... and i dont wanna bet my money on a fool like panucci, and an unexperienced oddo... maybe pancaro? yes he could do just fine...

by the way, i still rememer pessotto playin' in the euro 2000 final, and giving the assist goal to delvecchio.... sweet :)
oh well, my point is : he is pretty good, and versatile! could play everywhere on the flanks ;)
(remember he took the right wing in euro 2000 final, in zambrotta's place, but normally plays left back with juve)
one main problem: he doesn't play a lot at juve, just like iuliano :(
still these 2 are good italians

do you think he should be given a chance ?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
No we should not call him back, hes lost his pace and strength.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
well, everything you mentioned is all in the past now. he hasnt been around for quite some time. and he has lossed it all now. i have great respect for him, he has been great for juve and even when given a chance for italy.

we have oddo and zambrotta for full backs. pancaro gives us good cover and as much as i hate panucci, i would rather him than pessotto right now. i suppose birindelli and bonera could get a mention before pessotto now as well.

i wish pessotto was the player he was 4 years ago, he could be a very handy player.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i think you're right CUG, i didn't follow his condition lately, ...
it's a shame he got benched by lippi for almost 2 years now :(

pessotto is just like albertini -> very versatile and usefull ! just written off too soon imo

(that reminds me to dino baggio .... why he wasn't called up on euro 2000 is also a mystery) :confused:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
well, pessotto is nearing 33 i think. if not older. and zambrotta has been great at left back with thuram being very good at right back. in the end, pessotto's injuries got ahead of him and i suppose he could only be used as back up. i dont blame lippi at all, in fact, i think he made the correct decision playing zambrotta left back.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't ! :)
i'm one of the many people who blames lippi, ruining a perfect right winger (italy needs players like these) into another defender....
and when it comes to one on one... i see zambrotta losing it pretty much ;)
but still i respect your opinion, and yes he isn't that bad as a defender too.
but let's see how he deals with a henry, van nistelrooy, nuno gomez at the euro :eek:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
well, zambrotta has basically become one o fthe best left backs in the world. Only Carlos is better. And even then, Zambrotta took Carlos to the cleaners last season in the CL.

As for the right wing opinion, yes, it would be great if we could clone Zambrotta;) . But, there is fiore still, and i suppose certain formations dont need zambrotta on the right wing.

As for Pessotto V Zambrotta, if thats what you were implying on a one on one, well, i would take zambrotta. fully fit and in inform, zambrotta is faster, stronger, offensively better and he can defend very well. Pessotto in his hay days was great also, but not as great as zambro.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah right smartass ! :rolleyes:
born in 1971, so..... what about angelo di livio & ciro ferrara then?
if you don't like juve, just don't reply anything in this thread:mad:

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Why exactly does Italy need someone who is well past his prime, plays very rarely and was never that spectacular of a player in the first place? Stop having sweet dreams about Euro 2000 and watch more games from this season... Gee, next time someone will say - let's take Mancini or Zola or even Zoff.:tongue:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
ravanelli1983 said:
yeah but ciro isnt getting called up. and at least ciro plays. this is thing with pessotto, he rarely plays for juve anymore. and he could almost be said to be an ex-player.

·
Registered
45,571 Posts
ravanelli1983 said:
Smartass??

Probably you misunderstood me, surely you should moderate your answers.

To make things clear to you:

Ferrara and Di Livio are over 35 and still play at high level. Do you think that the same applies to all the players? Pessotto went through a bad injury and sometimes bad injuries affect the performances of a player forever.
The fact that Pessotto two years ago, before the injury was a player of the NT, while now he is a bencher of Juventus should mean something.
Probably you are too young to know, but after 30 (and Pessotto is 33 anyhow) the body is not so perfect as it is when you are 20, you are more injury prone, you hardly recover 100% of functionalities. There are players who can play ay high level till 40 like Vierchowod but there are other players who are forced to retire or just to accept lower categories.

I DON'T HATE JUVENTUS AT ALL

And last but not least, if you want call me "smartass" I give you the chance to visit me by giving my address in PM. You will have the chance to tell me that face to face.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) giving your adress on PM....
is this the way how you invite people to your cabin :p are you that lonely ;)

i'm just joking with you tonisamp... i didn't mean to be rude, by the way smartass isn't that bad, is it? it's just a word like wiseguy or something, ... i'm sorry if i offended you in any way.
i think you are right.... a benchplayer shouldn't be called up in the NT . maybe then he should play at sampdoria, brescia, bologna or something... then he would play regular, and earn a call up again. but i think it's too late now :(

ONE MORE REPLY TO AMANDRO DRAKE ... "Why exactly does Italy need someone who is well past his prime, plays very rarely and was never that spectacular of a player in the first place?"

please cut the crap would you.... NEVER SPECTACULAR ??? well i'm sorry you only get hot by seeing hotshots like del piero & totti & vieri and other strikers, but midfielders/defenders just have an other way of working.
albertini, deschamps, ambrosini are all players like him, maybe not spectacular, like you are saying, but very usefull in a team !!

if you want your "spectacular" guys, go watch Real Madrid, they are "spectacular", but hey, we've all seen what their problem is huh :) if only they had such a less spectacular players at their back-line, maybe they could be real champions one day :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts