Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to say.If Spain was lucky vs.Yugoslavia tonight they were so unlucky.What will this miss do to Raul? Our greatest player? What will this miss do to him.Especially he's young and this can scar his career like it happened to Baggio.I hope and think he can get through this given his coolness and confidence.And to whole of Spain don't make his life miserable.He's your greatest diamond!!!
HALA MADRID!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, but it can shake his confidence. I mean it wasn't like a Liga game against Valladolid. Spain had been tipped to go all the way, and let's be honest - Raul did not have a great Euro 2000. I hope it won't carry over. I don't think it will, but he is young and it could effect his confidence, especially in International play.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
One day we Spain fans will get used to all the failures :(
Is it destiny? When we got a greatest League, we did bad in world-class tournamnet.
It is a hateful old tune, but I'm gonna more and more believe in it--> La Liga is killing La Seleccio :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ramy: It's true that his career isn't over because of it, but it shows that he has a ways to go before he's truly a world class player (and this isn't an insult to him).

Great players keep their head and calmly approach those shots. Who can deny that the penalty was extremely hurried. I mean, Barthez wasn't even in position to stop it which makes it hurt all the more.

As far as La Liga...I dunno, maybe they need to start earlier and not finish in June. Then again, with the CL, it's not any easier. Fortunately, it's only once every 4 years these Euro finals.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Raul will get over it, but it's the most horrible thing possible for a player.

And about La Liga: Mmmm... I don't know either. Many other countries have many Primera Division-players in their squad, but don't have these problems...

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Technically speaking, that PK miss shouldn't crush him. BUT, we all are aware how important self-confidence is to footballers. Especially to young footballers!

Yeah, I hope the media, especially, don't trash him that much so that he'll regain his confidence soon.

Failures are not new to football, if you haven't experienced them then it's not strange. Players who've had the hardest time but can bounce back and become a better person - in terms of football itself, and in terms of mentality - then he's a great player.

So, if Raul can learn something good from this PK miss (and the trashing by media) and bounce back, I'm certain it'll be a stronger Raul, a better Raul in the future. So let's hope that he can pass this test.

Good Luck to Raul. :)

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
It's nice to see all the support Raul gets even from Barca fans. How can anybody blame him for a penalty miss. All of the greatest players had vital penalties missed, even Pele, Zico and Romario. Of course, it's hard to swallow for both players and fans, but that's life. And in the end the better side won the game, IMO should be no complaints about that.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Also for the media:
Raul must not take any PK's the next couple of years. Maybe at WC2002 or even after that, but certainly not earlier!
In Holland we saw the same with Seedorf. He missed an important PK four years ago. Ofcourse everyone blamed him for Oranje not reaching the semi's at EURO96. (Funny to see that like Raul, Seedorf was also "crying" in the arms of Karembeu) But the same thing happened to Ronald de Boer and Cocu two years ago. They also were blamed, but it didn't last long. The main difference with Seedorf: In Seedorf's case, the next PK Oranje got, he wanted to take it. There was such a pressure on him (we were 1-0 behind, his history with PK's) and it was his opportunity to get rid of the PK drame a few months earlier. But he missed. The ball went high over. Ever since, Seedorf isn't considered to be a regular started in Oranje, not even considered to be a worldclass player. Cocu and Ronald de Boer never took a PK again. No one talks about them anymore. Back 2 Raul: After two years, everything will be a bit forgotten, and Raul can take his revenge for that PK. I hope he will survive the press. He's a great player, although I'll never like him. He deserves better than the way we treat Seedorf here. For the simple fact he's a better player than Seedorf.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Actually I think you're wrong Dutch, simply becase if Raul bows out and waits for another big occasion to take the next penalty he'll burn himsle fout mentally. IMO he should try the first time he gets the chance just in order to get the ghosts out of him and to leave this part of life behind him. He has to regain confidence and if he doesn't he could end up like Seedorf. I agree Clarence is not quite the player he could be, but let's face it, he always had a tuff way of being:) Remember the Mijatovic spitting incident? ouch, that was nasty. He should get more chances for Iranje, but I agree he's doomed as PK taker.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Baggio took the PK for Azzurri after 4 years!!! in 98WC! And fortunately, he made it in and everyone forgave him. Basically, I agree with D-fan, he shouldn't take the penalty kick from now on, especially for La Seleccion...for Real, it is OK if Hierro is not there. After the fans/media calm down a little bit, he can do anything he wants then.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Where did you come up with Hierro!? HE hasn't taken the PK for some time now. Our first choice is Savio Bortolini, correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't yet missed a PK in Reals shirt. But I disagree once again - Raul should be gaven the chance as soon as possible so he brakes the barier. We don't want him burning himself out, because of this one sad moment:mad:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Each case is very personal. Zico missed PK in 1/4 against France in 1986 during the game and then made amends in the same game in the PK shootouts. He even placed his 2nd kick exactly in the same corner as the first one. Stuart Pearce waited for 6 years to get a chance to bury one for England, and that was too long, remember his expression when he put the ball away against Spain in 96? I think Raul will burn if he waits for years untill he takes his next PK. He should put this past him as soon as possible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's better for him to "get back on the horse" as soon as possible.

1/ He'll feel better about himself. (if he lets this stew and it effects his mental capacities, forget la Seleccion, this will affect him at Real in la Liga and the CL (another big championship))

2/ He will manage to shut up the press. Until then, I think there will always be a "yes, but....". Hell, look at yesterday's Marca: "Raul, they won't forgive you..."

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'd always wished dat spain would beat holland in d' final... but i gess dat wish couldn't come true..i still dun think its raul's fault. spain missed a lot of opportunities, so its no biggie.. rite???

real fan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't say that it's no biggie because then we start to accept our reputation of not being able to bad a bit championshiop.

Something needs to change for 2002.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Pablo, there has been a lot of criticism about Spain and so on, but no one here has actually said something that I think should be said: IMO Spain were simply not good enough this time. Raul was tired, the same goes for Guardiola who was a big underachiever, and IMO Mendieta was alos capble of more, had he been fresh. It was all just too much for them. The midfield lacked real quality, it came only with Munitis in the last game. The rest couldn't open the way for Raul to the goal. It's sad but true. Then Raul had absolutely no comunication with either Urzaiz or Alfonso, the latter, not even knowing how to control and pass a football:mad: Then the wings, were really dissapointing - Salgado and Etxeberria and Fran all flopped. Only the so called subs, who played ony one game:mad: really impressed that being - Munitis and Sergi. Also Gerard played very short, but I thought he brought a whole new feeling to the side. Maybe it coms down to player selection, but IMO Spain were just not good enought his time round, and it's certainly not the same beating Austrai in a qualifier, and beating Slovenia in the big dooogggy - EURO 2000. Don't you guys think?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Well..
yeah.. i guess we can't take it as a 'no biggie'. but spain always come out on top and no matter how bad they are they always manage to win something.. and... i think that spain could have won d' match if only morientes was in the team.. so BuM Camacho!!!

Real fan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts