1 - 20 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Switzerland have a few of the kids who won the U-17 WC.. I can def remember Kasami and Ben Khalifa - but probably more hiding inside that squad.

Gonna be interesting to see how they're doing being almost 2 years younger then everyone.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
UEFA UNDER 21 CHAMPIONSHIP

DENMARK
11-25 June 2011

Group A

Round 1

11 June, 18 CET - Åhrus
BELARUS 2-0 ICELAND
[Voronkov 77' pen., Skavysh 87']

11 June, 20:45 CET - Aalborg
DENMARK 0-1 SWITZERLAND
[Shaqiri 48']

Standings after Round 1
1 BELARUS ..........1G 1W 0D 1L 2-0 3P
2 SWITZERLAND ...1G 1W 0D 0L 1-0 3P
3 Denmark ...........1G 0W 0D 1L 0-1 0P
4 Iceland .............1G 0W 0D 1L 0-2 0P

Group B

Round 1

12 June, 18 CET - Viborg

CZECH REPUBLIC 2-1 UKRAINE
[Dockal 49', 56'; Bilyy 88']

12 June, 20:45 CET - Herning
SPAIN 1-1 ENGLAND
[Herrera 14'; Welbeck 88']

Standings after Round 1
1 CZECH REP. ......1G 1W 0D 1L 2-1 3P
2 England ............1G 0W 1D 0L 1-1 1P
2 Spain ................1G 0W 1D 0L 1-1 1P
4 Ukraine ...............1G 0W 0D 1L 1-2 0P​

·
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
42,192 Posts
I like how this Sigurdsson is playing :shades: Moving around up front, and has a good dribble.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Belarus look a much more organised, professional, stronger defensive team than the the last edition two years ago.

That team had good technical players but were soft defensively and no real organisation. This team look completely different to that.

Iceland didn't play that well though even if they had the two Sigthorsson chances. Credit to the Belarus goalkeeper Gutor, made two absolute key saves.

Filipenko played well, the CB. Got in the way of most things thrown at him.

·
Registered
69,196 Posts
Belarus snatch a 2:0 victory in the opening match. First half was about the most boring game I've watched in a while but the second half was a bit better. Iceland had three good chances to score but it was Belarus who won a penalty. After that it was all Belarus who had a man advantage and scored late to secure the win. Dragun on Belarus looked good and the goalkeeper made 2 good saves on one on one's.

Belarus played the way I expected them, counterattacking but they did get caught defensively at times. Iceland were overal disappointing, especially Sigurdsson

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
This is a great chance for Boilesen to prove himself, he's really risen fast since Jol left Ajax. Switzerland are a very good side though, normally and they have more depth in my opinion, Lusti will provide defensive cover and I suppose they're playing a 4-3-3 in attack.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Shakiri has this Alexis Sanchez thing going for him.. real livewire when on the ball.. would be nice to see him roam around more often to get more of the ball, anytime he did something good happened for Switzerland.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Switzerland looks like a more mature and professional side.. great balance in thier game especiely in the midfield/offence, they're giving Denmark a really hard time and showing great press once the ball is in thier half.. and individually they just seem superior to the Danes bar Erikssen.

Shakiri left foot is bound to find the goal somewhere in the 2nd half, he's getting closer in each try.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
His best assett is that he doesn't exaggerate, often plays it on one touch which then gives his teammates a chance to do something constructive while he gets a new position. Shaqiri and Eriksen have both been solid so far, Shaqiri a bit better considering he's been a bit more involved. Otherwise a very even game, some good chance on both sides but nobody's been able to take them.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Yup thats right. impressive for a 19 year old too.. i'd love to see how he reacts in the 2nd half as I assume the Dane coach will tell his players to run at him and close his air space due ot his left foot.. let's see if he figures it out early and starts running with the ball more going into the box.

I think that if Denmark doesn't have any suprise or boost off the bench they lost this game.. Switzerland look like they know what they're doing and working by a plan due to good preperation.

Denmark just seems a bit lost and too dependent on Eriksen flashes of brilliance, and although he is great it's not enough imo.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
The Swiss have a better bench, more depth, the most important thing for Denmark is to protect the space between their midfield and defence because that's where Shaqiri keeps floating around, sometimes he stays there, other times he floats around and fakes he'll go wide just to make a move with his body and get into it again. That's the key in my opinion.

Denmark can definitely win this game though, it's not like Switzerland have been that much better.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
And there it was... Great goal by Shaqiri. He is certainly showing why he's so highly rated.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Looks like I got my answer, straight into the box it is!

Fantastic goal, highly impressive player.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Shaqiri gives Switzerland the lead, Denmark is all over the place, the defending is simply not good enough.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Inches away for Denmark.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Again, very close. This time by Bille, brilliant cross.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Boilesen is now showing what he's capable of, brilliant run again, I love when he overlaps.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Swiss GK keeping the lead alive.. this had to be the goal for the Danes tho.. brilliant saves.

Danish num 9 Jorgensen really got a change to the game in Denmarks favor on that left flank.

I still see this ending 2-0 Switzerland tho, Danes will soon go all out and with Shaqiri every counter is deadly.

Ben Khalifa for Emeghara the num 7 would be a good idea for Switzerland tbh. he's just invisible and looks really tired.. hardly tracking back unlike the first half too.

Danes on the other hand gotta take a risk here and go more offensive, they let the Swiss cruise to the victory like this.

1 - 20 of 444 Posts