Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having now been overtaken by Roma, things don't SEEM to bode well for CL qualification.
Its Feb now guys, we've got to start taking qualification into European's top league seriously. So many cash benefits as well as propelling us onto continental noteriety.

So now, the race is between us and Roma. At first, im sure like most of you, i felt disheartened with the loss to Lazio. However i believe things can turn.

Roma are without Totti. De Rossi and Panucci are bickering on the pitch. Roma's schedule is a tough one to say the least, we've go to keep a cool head and we can get 5+ points clear when we play them at home.
Its do-able and, with Boji scoring a ripper, lets hope we've got a bit of momentum.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Jah said:
....propelling us onto continental noteriety.
This matters to me a lot. I really want this more than anything. I want us to be KNOWN and FEARED.

However it's very diffficult for me to ill-wish on Roma. I can ill wish Inter, Milan, Juventus, Lazio and perhaps even Parma, but not Roma. I have a lot of respect for them as a club and always wish them the best. Ideally it would be preferable for Milan to lose ground and for the rest of us (Fiorentina and Roma) to take 3rd and 4th spot and with Milan stuttering at the back recently it is not all impossible.

What concerns me is our team, the way in which we play, the solidity and efficiency of the squad is questionable. The way we played against Inter was encouraging, although they dominated, I could tell that they couldn't possibly beat us. We were on the money defensively and it was clear to me that they wouldnt get through us.

Against Messina, I was surprised because although we won 2-0. I was not at all impressed with the team. As soon as we got to the halfway line, we started to throw balls forward hoping Toni would latch on. I couldn't believe the football I was watching, I never thought we played like this, I thought to myself 'if we play like this every week, how on Earth do we win games?...'. My question was answered by the quality of Toni's second strike. It was all clear to me then.

If we don't pick up our game, if we don't start to play, if we don't start playing with a game plan, then we deserve to finish lower than 4th and definately lower than Roma who are without doubt, the most entertaining side in Seria A.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Jah, it's good to see you're optimistic, but me being more realistic I think we can give give up the hope to qualify for the CL. :undecide: Yes, the gap is only two points, but the way we've played lately and looking at Roma's excellent form, I think the chance of reaching a CL spot is very slim. We don't have enough strength to control games away from home, (not even against average/weak opponents) and if we can't handle a low motivated (because of the Roma derby this week) Lazio side, I can't see us taking more points than Roma in the remaining rounds..

Totti's absence is of course a good thing for us, but I doubt Roma will collapse only because of him. Roma will most probably lose some points here and there, but unfortunately not as many as Viola, I think.

It's of course sad for me to give up at this stage, but I don't want to suffer anymore. I've been optimistic for very long, but I simply don't believe we're strong enough to end up top 4. If we somehow manage to end up in front of Roma, I'd be sooo happy, but I don't want to be disappointed at the end of the season, so I say let's secure a place in the UEFA-cup as soon as possible.

Anyway, incredible goal by Bojinov yesterday, I hope he gets the chance from start more often.

Forza Viola!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would say that we're not out of it. Sure, the result yesterday was bad, and our away form has been poor all season, but we're still in there. And I don't think its just Roma that we have to think about, but also the two Milan sides. Yeah they're strong teams and are currently ahead of us, but they aren't that far ahead of us. Despite some of our poor showing they've shown themselves to be not much further ahead, so they must also be facing problems of their own. Neither of them really has shown total consistancy through the whole season. Especially with the CL games starting up again, I can see both clubs dropping points. Roma I thought were through to the CL even a few weeks ago with the run they were having, but now with Totti down that throws their run in doubt as well.

Not saying that we're likely to finish top 4, but its way too early to throw in the towel. The way I see it 3 of the teams ahead of us are catchable if we do our part. If we don't make it, then I won't be disappointed. The season we've had has still been pretty amazing. But don't just give up on it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i think we will be in the Cl next year. i wont go thru all the reasons...but
i really dont think there is any way that roma can keep their current form and pace until the end up the league. they also have uefa to worry about.
also, we are due to improve.
as bad as we have been on the pitch, we are still getting points (usually) on the table- thats what matters.
think about how good we can be if fiore, jorg and toni get back to their early season form.
if we take care of business at home and pick up just a few road points against the minnows, we will be in good shape.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Don't forget that they are comming to Florence! And we will not lose that one. Also, every team has a bad period of play. It will eventually finish and we will continue with good performances. CL is achieveable.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
djokoo said:
Don't forget that they are comming to Florence! And we will not lose that one.
Firenze said:
erm....yeah.....I encourage you to read the 'Fiorentina 1-2 Lazio' thread.
and so ... Roma Lazio is not AS Roma :rolleyes:

·
Registered
904 Posts
That match with Roma in Florence is going to be between matches against Milan at Milan and Juve at Turin. Gonna be a tough patch for us (but then we knew that when we had the first set of fixtures anyway).

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
tnx Materazzi :D 59 56 55 now..Inter Fio Roma!!

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
i really dont want roma to miss out on the cl they deserve it and they need the money, but then again i want to see fiorentina in the CL as well.... best solution? inter playing uefa cup next season :p

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
ac_milan_foreva said:
i really dont want roma to miss out on the cl they deserve it and they need the money
Poor Romans...I'm sure DDV is going to have mercy on the strapped fellows and donate a few shoes as a consolation in case they miss out on CL.

Alè Viola! :heart:

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well time for an update!

The result against Inter was perfect! Lets be honest, a win was never on the cards for Inter as they were missing half their squad. But we did get lucky, twice. Materazzi, that plank of wood, for scoring was one and Pazzini hitting the back of the net was the other. We should have been 2-1 down with Pazzini hitting the equaliser. We simply cannot afford to drop the easy points!

Nonetheless we managed to beat Inter at home and the goal we conceded, by Alvaro Recoba, was sheer brilliance. From what ive heard, Panucci let Materazzi have the header.
Spaletti has done well thus far, but i think Roma are starting to feel the toll of no attacking options.

Its now a matter of who slips up first. Cagliari should be tricky, but equally if Roma take Ascoli too lightly, they'll pay with a draw like Udinese.
We need to hold out until the Franchi and then throw everything at them.

Roma fixtures:

v Ascoli WIN
v Messina WIN (could be a draw)
v Juventus LOSS
v Us

In their next three games, they'll be happy with 7 points. Hopefully they'll be restricted to 4.

Our fixtures:

v Cagliari WIN (could be a draw)
v Ascoli WIN
v Milan ?
v Roma

Cagliari obviously poses the danger as we could get complacent. Milan is a nice one, they're going to be tired after a hard CL campaign, we could take advantage of the fact they dont care about Lo Schudetto anymore. I think potentially we could get all 9 points and thus open up a 3 point lead over Roma by the time we face them. A win would equal 6 points and that could just about kill off any of their CL ambitions.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Jah said:
I think potentially we could get all 9 points and thus open up a 3 point lead over Roma by the time we face them. A win would equal 6 points and that could just about kill off any of their CL ambitions.
I think that's way too optimistic and overestimating our luck (since our performance has never been very convincing), though I definitely won't complain if it happens :)

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
ac_milan_foreva said:
i really dont want roma to miss out on the cl they deserve it and they need the money, but then again i want to see fiorentina in the CL as well.... best solution? inter playing uefa cup next season :p

I was hoping that would happen too. Now Roma had to go and draw the match...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Jah said:
Ok well time for an update!

The result against Inter was perfect! Lets be honest, a win was never on the cards for Inter as they were missing half their squad. But we did get lucky, twice. Materazzi, that plank of wood, for scoring was one and Pazzini hitting the back of the net was the other. We should have been 2-1 down with Pazzini hitting the equaliser. We simply cannot afford to drop the easy points!

Nonetheless we managed to beat Inter at home and the goal we conceded, by Alvaro Recoba, was sheer brilliance. From what ive heard, Panucci let Materazzi have the header.
Spaletti has done well thus far, but i think Roma are starting to feel the toll of no attacking options.

Its now a matter of who slips up first. Cagliari should be tricky, but equally if Roma take Ascoli too lightly, they'll pay with a draw like Udinese.
We need to hold out until the Franchi and then throw everything at them.

Roma fixtures:

v Ascoli WIN
v Messina WIN (could be a draw)
v Juventus LOSS
v Us

In their next three games, they'll be happy with 7 points. Hopefully they'll be restricted to 4.

Our fixtures:

v Cagliari WIN (could be a draw)
v Ascoli WIN
v Milan ?
v Roma

Cagliari obviously poses the danger as we could get complacent. Milan is a nice one, they're going to be tired after a hard CL campaign, we could take advantage of the fact they dont care about Lo Schudetto anymore. I think potentially we could get all 9 points and thus open up a 3 point lead over Roma by the time we face them. A win would equal 6 points and that could just about kill off any of their CL ambitions.
Ascoli aint easy :lala:

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
Mago said:
Poor Romans...I'm sure DDV is going to have mercy on the strapped fellows and donate a few shoes as a consolation in case they miss out on CL.

Alè Viola! :heart:
nah id rather have inter miss out i mean roma have made an amazing run despite the draw and inter.. and also i think it would be nice for a change to have 2 teams outside the big 3- milan, inter and juve in the CL...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Ascoli and Cagliari are definitely not easy for these next games from bth Roma and Fiorentina's point of view. I really wanted the victory over Inter yday because we would have bought them into this race, but well I think in the end it will be between us 2.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
ac_milan_foreva said:
nah id rather have inter miss out i mean roma have made an amazing run despite the draw and inter.. and also i think it would be nice for a change to have 2 teams outside the big 3- milan, inter and juve in the CL...
Inter Milan may have more money but they are also more of an outsider. If Juventus was a prisoner, Roma would be carrying his tray.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts