Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brann will face Suduva from Lithuenia in the UEFA cup qualifying, while Stabæk will play Linfield from Northern-Ireland.

Lillestrøm will meet the winner of the match between FK Zeljeznicar (Bosnia) & Akranes (Iceland) in Champions League-qualifying round 2.

Rosenborg enters the third qualifying round in the CL, while the other Norwegian teams involved in europe are directly qualified to the UEFA cup.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Jinxter said:
Lillestrøm will meet the winner of the match between FK Zeljeznicar (Bosnia) & Akranes (Iceland) in Champions League-qualifying round 2.
Since the draw for 3rd third qualifying round is before Lillestrøm's games, Rosenborg can not meet Akranes/Zeljeznicar if they beat LSK. This is why two teams from the same nations can't meet!

Jinxter said:
Rosenborg enters the third qualifying round in the CL, while the other Norwegian teams involved in europe are directly qualified to the UEFA cup.
Rosenborg too is directly qualfied to the UEFA-cup (the losers in the 3rd qualifying round enters 1st round of the UEFA-cup), but hopefully they manage to get a step further and plays in the Champions League :D

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lillestrøm will face FK Zeljeznicar in the Champions League qualifying.

Not sure when the matches are and such, but oh well..

IMO Lillestrøm will be clobbered, but who knows.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As usual, Rosenborg were lucky in the CL draw. In the third round of the Champs League qualifying, they'll face the winner of the games between Danish Champions Brøndby & Dinamo Tirana from Albania.

With Ørjan Berg back from injury, this shouldn't pose any threat to Rosenborg's record streak in the Champions League group stage.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If Lillestrøm, against all odds, reaches the third qualifying round, they'll meet the English magpies Newcastle.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I really look forward to a real Battle of Scandinavia - have just been friendlies between Rosenborg and Swedish and Danish league-holders since the CL-matches against IFK Göteborg in '96.

As Åge Hareide says, Brøndby will beat Dinamo Tirana. Therefore I'm pretty sure that we meet the Copenhagen-club in the qualification.

By the way Jinxter; Are Besiktas, Club Brügge and "unknown" eastern-european clubs "easy" to play against? I remember Brann met a team from Bulgaria (Levski Sofia) last year, and that wasn't so easy for the Pride of Bergen... ;)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Levski is hardly unknown :D It was the worst team we could have drawn.

I couldn't remember you playing against Besiktas, and no, I rate them as a good team. Club Brugge and various unknown easter european teams are clearly underdogs against Rosenborg though.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Jinxter said:
As usual, Rosenborg were lucky in the CL draw. In the third round of the Champs League qualifying, they'll face the winner of the games between Danish Champions Brøndby & Dinamo Tirana from Albania.

With Ørjan Berg back from injury, this shouldn't pose any threat to Rosenborg's record streak in the Champions League group stage.
Berg has been injured...(again!) :groan:

Anyway i think you tend to make exaggerations at times Jinxter :fero: :tongue:, even towards your local team's' nemesis :rollani:

I actually think that this was not exactly the easiest draw (although RBK could have done worse...e.g Genk, Shakhtar etc..) but i think that unlike previous years i think RBK have met their match this year and i think the streak will come to an end this year unless things change dramatically transfer wise (i.e signing Gustavo or/Koutmantarakis [which won't happen since i'm sure he is quite happy as a starter for Basel], and Sibaya ) and making sure that Berg stays fit and the defenders don't have one of their off days. Of course if RBK fail to qualify then it will be their own fault. Its quite obvious to an outsider looking in such as myself that things have been deteriorating at/on/in the RBK machine for a few years now and despite earning a heap of money from the CL, they have not rectified their problem areas (i.e the ageing squad, particularly in key positions)

I also think you are underestimating Broendby. I think the side that took the UEFA cup by storm in the early and mid 90s is back under the leadership of Laudrup. Sure he may be a rookie coach but he has done everything right so far by winning the Danish Supercup and the first league game, and his squad "cull" hsa no doubt madethe squad very competitive. Bringing back Wieghorst also seems to have done wonders for them at this early stage and he is a key player in Laudrup's "brazilian style" 3-4-3 formation and may be too much for Grandpa Skammelsrud ;) :D to handle.

Not to mention that they have two good strikers in Madsen and new acquisition Dalgas that will no doubt terrorise the creaky, decaying RBK central defence.

Make no mistake, despite the fact that this is an interesting tie, itis sad that one side will be eliminated and as much as i would like to see "the strak" continue :cool:, i think you have to look at which team will do better in the group stages and with the current RBK side and the way they are playing then i would say Brondby are the more likely side to progress furthest.

Of course if RBK make those signings and their form changes then i will reconsider the statement, especially considering that Brondby playing 3-4-3 against the big teams may be a bit too adventurous :eekani: :crazy: although admirable :cool:

Jinxter said:

If Lillestrøm, against all odds, reaches the third qualifying round, they'll meet the English magpies Newcastle.

Ok so LSK have been playing badly this season but i think they will still progress against the Bosnians (who only beat Akranas of Iceland 4-0 on agg :D )

I think the acqusistion of Rosler and Dadason seems to have rejuvinated LSK and will at least get them to round 3 where anything can happen, although now that the "hack" (Zane) is gone, i am not as interested as i may have been (as if i'd get excited about a team that plays Drillo style defensive football :yuck: ) although it is important for your football that LSK at least get to round 3 and do as well as possible :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yeah, Brøndby is a good team, Jinxter! I will say that Rosenborg and the Danes are pretty equal.

Then we have to wait and see which club that is the best in Scandinavia. After the 3-2-win over Lyn tonight, I hope Rosenborg have passed the bad period and have found their "autumn-form". Therefore I have a pretty good belief in Rosenborg in the Champions League-qualifyers against Brøndby (I can't understand that Dinamo Tirana can beat'em!).

By the way, today I was on the Post office to buy tickets to the first leg of the CL-qual., but the ticket sale opens next Monday - 5/8 - but then I'm in Sweden! :eek: Maybe I'll try to call BillettService on my mobile phone???

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andreas said:
(as if i'd get excited about a team that plays Drillo style defensive football :yuck: )

Hey! Do not compare Drillo's style to LSK! They are far worse, more like the Italians than Drillo. That was just mean :(
(Not that I'm a Drillo fan, but still... :D)

And "the Bosnians" are not a bad team, they've done quite well in the preliminaries before, and even though LSK has gotten some "new" blood with their new powerstrikers, they are still pretty much the same team as a few weeks ago. Rosler and Dadason hasn't exactly been topscorers the past few seasons. I'm not saying it's impossible for them to reach the third qualifying round, but I would be surprised if it happened.

When it comes to Rosenborg vs Brøndby... with Ørjan Berg alive and kickin', Brøndby will get creamed. Otherwise, it'll be a close match, and it'll be open who wins.
And there seems to be very likely that an World Cup striker joins RBK very soon, either from South Africa or USA.

And I don't underestimate Brøndby a lot I think, I know they are a good team, and I'd rate them higher than Genk, but they are not anywhere near Rosenborg at this time of the season. In November, sure, but August? No way.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Hi my fellow Scandinavians.

Don't forget we'll first have to win against Tirana ;). We only won 1-0 home, so we're definitely not sure about going through to the 3rd round, where you're waiting. But to be honest I don't think we'll lose down there. At least not on agg.

If we'll meet and I'm pretty sure we will. It'll surely be an interesting match. I see it as two very equal teams, where both have a very good chance of progress. Although I see Rosenbrog as slightly favourites and us as the 'underdogs'. The disposition of roles is quite good for us. As the role as underdog suits us just fine.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, either way, it would be interesting with a real Scandinavian duel in a European Cup match :) Not so interesting with boring Swedish teams, more fun to play top Danish sides.
And although Børndby played an excellent game last weekend, my belief in Rosenborg has just gotten stronger :D

Lillestrøm plays the return leg against Zeljeznicar today, they lost the home game 0-1, and will probably be mushed in Bosnia.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Jinxter said:
... And although Børndby played an excellent game last weekend ...
Well, we actually didn't. We lost 3-1 home to a well playing AB.

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Too bad about LSK, but knowing everything that has happened with them this year, it wasn't exactly a surprise. I imagine that the rest of their season will be a fight to avoid relegation.

Now I am really excited about the RBK vs BIF match, I wouldn't say that I am overconfident, but I too think that Rosenborg is a better team than BIF, and in 3 out of 4 matches they should win. However that Danes can get lucky though, it has happened before.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Yeah Rosenborg is slightly better and they also have the best odds of winning. BUT as a Brøndbyer I would say it's more of a 50/50 game, which can go either way. It's all about the form on the match day.

One thing I'm sure of is that many Norwegians will be very surprised.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Firstly, about LSK; and i guess the result was expected after the 1st leg and match reports suggested that the defeat could have been much bigger :eekani: if not for an in-form Baron. Erlandsen apparently tried his usual tactics even though they didn't come off in the 1st leg indicating his management is rigid while Zelejnicar actually changed their goalie for the games against LSK :wth: after scouting them to counter LSK's aerial play which seemed like good tactics

What this result (along with the Hammarby result) seems to indicate is that while having different champions may be good for keeping ppl interested in the league, if these teams cannot back these performances up year after year then it is going to show up in european competition as well. I can understand therefore why ppl in Norway are getting nervous about the possibility of Lyn winning the league

I also think this result may send out a message that defensive negative football can only work for so long. While it is necessary for football to have differing styles (how would ppl appreciate beautiful attacking football if there was no ugly defensive teams??) [and it seems as globalisation and freedom of player and staff movement is resulting in football styles converging and becoming similar]--------- i think it would be best for teams to either try to imitate the RBK style or do like Brann or Aalesund and play their own, attacking style of football

Yakubu ---your 50/50 comment was precisely what Laudrup thought of BIF's chances. To be honest i think a lot depends on Brondby and how they play in both legs and from an RBK point of view whether they can make an acquisitions to an ageing squad. Even though RBK seem to have found their form of late, another 2-0 loss to Viking in the cup (their third 2-0 loss against Viking in a row and 4th loss against the Stavanger side in the last 5 meetings) suggests that RBK are going to have problems with any decent side in any sort of form (and i would rate BIF a slightly better team than Viking right now)

I think the time of the game could determine a lot too. As Jinxter says if the game was in November then i'd back Brondby all the way. However since the 1st leg is only a week away, then BIF don't have much more time to work on Laudrup's new 3-4-3 system and are probably still getting used to ir (as indicated by the 1-3 home loss to AB on the weekend). On the other hand, RBK will be match hardened and are usually in good form at this time of year

So things are very open and indeed i think would be close to 50/50. Therefore no predictions from me and we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I think this is as Jinxter said a real scandi derby as Swedish teams are a joke thesedays IMO (you only have too look at what happened between RBK and Helsingborg two seasons ago :D )

BTW: i read a report saying that Rosenborg have confirmed the signing of Sibaya from Jono Cosmos but have seen this nowhere else apart from this site. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts