Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benfica v Trabzonspor in the third qualifying round, can this Turkish team succeed? :D

Benfica have a great coach with Jorge Jesus and they have a great team too.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Of course we would draw the toughest team possible again. The other possibilities were Panathinaikos, Standard Liege, Dynamo Kiev, and Twente. And even if we get past them we would have another round as an unseeded team and have to face teams like Bayern, Arsenal, Lyon, and Villarreal...

So yeah, we will drop to the Europa qualifiers whether it is this round or the next. We just need one year where we can do some damage in an actual competition and give our team coefficients a little boost so these qualifiers won't be so effin tough.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
what is your team? pros, cons, who are key players, etc.
For those who don't know benfica's most famous players are Pablo Aimar and Saviola, the good thing is that they're not really the "best" players, specially Saviola.
If we had the exact same roster as last season I would be a bit more optimistic against you guys, but we've lost our best midfielder and defender this off-season, and added around 7 new players. So I can't expect this team of new faces to pull off an upset against a team like Benfica.

Our midfield and attack have the potential to be formidable in some time. We've transferred Didier Zokora from Sevilla, Halil Altintop and Mierzejewski, who was Poland's player of the year last season. We also have a guy, Gustavo Colman, who Porto was reportedly interested in 2 seasons ago, but he has fallen off since then. I can't really pinpoint who our most important player is now, as we have a lot of weapons in attack, the only problem is we no longer have anybody to start the attacks, as that player has left us.

On the other hand, our defense has been embarrassing in recent friendlies, so your team will no doubt have a field day with them.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
If we had the exact same roster as last season I would be a bit more optimistic against you guys, but we've lost our best midfielder and defender this off-season, and added around 7 new players. So I can't expect this team of new faces to pull off an upset against a team like Benfica.

Our midfield and attack have the potential to be formidable in some time. We've transferred Didier Zokora from Sevilla, Halil Altintop and Mierzejewski, who was Poland's player of the year last season. We also have a guy, Gustavo Colman, who Porto was reportedly interested in 2 seasons ago, but he has fallen off since then. I can't really pinpoint who our most important player is now, as we have a lot of weapons in attack, the only problem is we no longer have anybody to start the attacks, as that player has left us.

On the other hand, our defense has been embarrassing in recent friendlies, so your team will no doubt have a field day with them.
Benfica has a truckload of new players too, most of them are very high quality but it's always tough to get them to gel as team at first.

Let's hope for a good match and may the best team win.

·
Administrator
25,329 Posts
Benfica v Trabzonspor in the third qualifying round, can this Turkish team succeed? :D

Benfica have a great coach with Jorge Jesus and they have a great team too.

currently none of us knows exactly which team Benfica will be starting the season with so, we can´t tell how prepared we will be. Like killa said, there's a bunch of new players coming in, and a lot of players that won't be able to stay in the team so......it's a mess :D

at the moment its a big question mark as far as i'm concerned

i dont think the two teams have ever met? that alone will make it quite interesting :D

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Trabzon is out. Over.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
currently none of us knows exactly which team Benfica will be starting the season with so, we can´t tell how prepared we will be. Like killa said, there's a bunch of new players coming in, and a lot of players that won't be able to stay in the team so......it's a mess :D

at the moment its a big question mark as far as i'm concerned

i dont think the two teams have ever met? that alone will make it quite interesting :D
Turkish teams are quite crap. :D But yeah it should be exciting. I hope Trabzon does themselves proud again this time, they fought Liverpool very bravely until the end in the Europa League last season!

Oh yeah and we all know Benfica are an amazing team. :D I've watched them a few times, it's clearly the hardest opposition Trabzonspor could have gotten.

·
Administrator
25,329 Posts
guys, for the 2nd round Trabzonspor wont be playing at home, but rather in Istambul

now...is there a trabzon fanbase overthere? i mean, appart from the fans that will be travelling with the team to Istambul, is there a significative amount of trabzon fans living in the city?

in other words...will you still be playing at "home" ?:D

·
This is NOT Akhisar!
14,463 Posts

·
This is NOT Akhisar!
14,463 Posts
What a biased referee, brutal foul on Trabzon player gets uncalled while some microscopic one on Benfica's players is proudly called...

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
What do you expect when a big team is at home?

·
This is NOT Akhisar!
14,463 Posts
Nothing major...I mean nothing worth reconsidering or splitting hairs...

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
guys, for the 2nd round Trabzonspor wont be playing at home, but rather in Istambul

now...is there a trabzon fanbase overthere? i mean, appart from the fans that will be travelling with the team to Istambul, is there a significative amount of trabzon fans living in the city?

in other words...will you still be playing at "home" ?:D
Short answer: yes, we should have a great showing in Istanbul. We almost always do.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
There are more Trabzonlu in Istanbul than Trabzon (city) itself :lol: so playing in Istanbul is an advantage for them.

No disrespect towards the fans on the forum but I hope they get smashed.

·
This is NOT Akhisar!
14,463 Posts
2 glorious chances for Trabzon - one after another in quick succession.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Thanks, wouldn't expect anything less.
Always supported Trabzon, not to mention Hami and Shota were my idols as a kid, up until the day fans were chanting 'ayaga kalkmayan Fenerli olsun' 'o.c Fener' the day they beat the mighty Vlaznia.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I've been impressed with Zokora. He is physically superior to the rest of the team. Other than that, nothing really too solid going on for Trabzon. They seem to be lacking creativity up front. I think this is the kind of game where Jaja is missed.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts