Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B I G G A M E on thursday

donno what to expect.

We are in good form, but the rest of the season was a horror show.
The presence of Simao, Quique Tiago, Reyes make me nervous.. add to the fact Atletico's great talented players like forlan and aguero.

But I think Sporting can progress, we are playing great lately.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Simão, Reyes and Tiago are in good form and so is Forlán but the presence of Quique does not make me nervous one bit, on the contrary, as that, added to their poor defense, can be their downfall.

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have a poor defense too though.

Carrico also will miss this match due to injury, as well as Yannick who has had some good form lately.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Simão, Reyes and Tiago are in good form and so is Forlán but the presence of Quique does not make me nervous one bit, on the contrary, as that, added to their poor defense, can be their downfall.
Atléti's defence haven't been anywhere as bad as you make it out to be lately, as a matter of fact, they've only allowed more than one goal in three games since new year. The thing here though is that the whole team are working more as a unit these days, Quique have managed to get them together, pressure their opponents all over the pitch, well, at least when they play at home and this leads to less individual misstakes and poor decisions.

Tiago is not available since he's played for Juventus in the Champions League this season. Raúl García will take his spot. Ibra who scored against Zaragoza at the weekend isn't registered to play in this competition.

Sporting will probably struggle without Carriço and Yannick who've been looking really good lately.

Probable line-up

De Gea

Ujfaluši - Perea - Álvaro - Antonio López

Reyes/Salvio - Paulo Assunção - Raúl García - Simão/Reyes/Jurado

Agüero - Forlán

The biggest question mark at this point is whether Quique will rest Simão for the game against Osasuna on Monday next week. If he does so, then we'll see Salvio or Jurado go into his place, it seems like Salvio is closer to that since the latter is a mediapunta and can only play as a fake-winger. This would also mean that Reyes would move to the left-wing to replace Simão, but only if the Portuguese is rested.

Hopefully it'll be a entertaining tie with the best team going through.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Filipe, you better win convincingly or you're never going to hear the end of it from me. You wanted to talk some shit for us accomplishing more than your club ever has in Europe, well let's see if you dismantle Atletico the way we've done over the last two seasons.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Stop being emo, Josh. I wonder how you would deal with things if you actually supported a club like Atlético..this is football, you get blown out at times.

..and I forgot to mention that Asenjo might get a chance against Sporting instead of De Gea since he was superb against Almería a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Shut up, zori-poo. You stay out of this.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Shut up, zori-poo. You stay out of this.
Zori-poo? :howler: Man, I really expected better from you. I can understand the tensions though, especially with Real Madrid being close to yet another failure in Europe, although if the club doesn't go through this time; then I want you to wear a avatar of Raúl crying! :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Filipe, you better win convincingly or you're never going to hear the end of it from me. You wanted to talk some shit for us accomplishing more than your club ever has in Europe, well let's see if you dismantle Atletico the way we've done over the last two seasons.

I don't think I was disrespectful towards Porto in no way after your game at Arsenal. At least not in the same way that you are every single time Sporting gets a bad result in any competition that we play. I really don't go down to your level.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Atléti's defence haven't been anywhere as bad as you make it out to be lately, as a matter of fact, they've only allowed more than one goal in three games since new year. The thing here though is that the whole team are working more as a unit these days, Quique have managed to get them together, pressure their opponents all over the pitch, well, at least when they play at home and this leads to less individual misstakes and poor decisions.

Tiago is not available since he's played for Juventus in the Champions League this season. Raúl García will take his spot. Ibra who scored against Zaragoza at the weekend isn't registered to play in this competition.

Sporting will probably struggle without Carriço and Yannick who've been looking really good lately.

Probable line-up

De Gea

Ujfaluši - Perea - Álvaro - Antonio López

Reyes/Salvio - Paulo Assunção - Raúl García - Simão/Reyes/Jurado

Agüero - Forlán

The biggest question mark at this point is whether Quique will rest Simão for the game against Osasuna on Monday next week. If he does so, then we'll see Salvio or Jurado go into his place, it seems like Salvio is closer to that since the latter is a mediapunta and can only play as a fake-winger. This would also mean that Reyes would move to the left-wing to replace Simão, but only if the Portuguese is rested.

Hopefully it'll be a entertaining tie with the best team going through.

Cheers guys.

It would be very good news if Simão is not playing against us because when he does, he usually is decisive. His return to Portugal to play for our biggest rivals and his subsequent comments about our club made him a hate figure amongst sportinguistas and he knows it very well. Still, he is a great player and he can't deny that he was forged in the best football factory that exists...well, maybe after La Masia. :D

You may be right about Atlético being better now but I still think that, apart from both your keepers, your defense indeed sucks. Having said this I do think you are favourites but so was Everton and so was Porto.

Let's hope for two great games anyway. :smileani:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
The defence is not great, but it's improved a whole lot in a couple of months time. Also, a team's defence is only good when the whole team defends, not when four individuals do this just because they're named defenders, that was the big problem earlier this season; the attacking players never tracked back. Still though, a lot of improvements have to made to call this defence good which I'm not. It should be a good tie, I don't really see Atléti as favourites either, all because of the fact that they can turn up by being totally uninterested. We'll see tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
If I had to put money on this I'd say that Atlético are clear favourites. Sporting are playing great lately, but I just don't trust their emotional stability with all that they've gone through this season. I predict a comfortable win for Atlético tomorrow with Sporting paying the spaniards too much respect.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Porto didn't destroyed at.madrid in the last years......don't get what joshua is saying.

They eliminate them but with close games more or less.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Porto didn't destroyed Porto in the last years......don't get what joshua is saying.
And, like usual, nobody gets what you're saying either, you complete clown.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
XQ7116KIUf0

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
If I had to put money on this I'd say that Atlético are clear favourites.
There's a unwritten rule when it comes to Atlético; Never bet on their games :D

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Pereirinha starting?:confused:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Here's our official line-up:

Rui Patrício
Abel - Tonel - Polga - Grimi
Pedro Mendes - Miguel Veloso
Pereirinha - João Moutinho - Izmailov
Liedson

Subs: Tiago, Pedro Silva, Adrien, Vukcevic, Matías Fernández, Hélder Postiga and Carlos Saleiro.

This line-up shows that Carvalhal prefers, just like he did at Goodison Park, to strengthen the defensive duties of our midfield. Against Everton we almsot failed our aim of scoring at least once and it was only when Liedson had company upfront that we have managed to take control of the game. I am not sure if this is the best way to face Atlético but I give him the benefit of the doubt.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts