Xtratime Community banner

Who will advance to the next round ?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tottenham : Friedel - Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekoto - Dembélé, Parker - Lennon, Dempsey, Bale - Adebayor

Lyon : Vercoutre - Réveillère, Bisevac, Lovren, Umtiti - Malbranque, Gonalons, Fofana - Lacazette, Gomis, Lisandro

·
The Black Knight
2,038 Posts
That was a spectacular free-kick, unfortunately for Lyon. I would say based on the first half the score line reflects the game. Lyon have been second best but they haven't been terrible.
From the looks of things, Lyon need to defend better on the left flank (the right flank of Spurs) and sort something out up front because they haven't been allowed a look in... I would say Lyon should either try to solve how to probe through the defense or take a few shots when the opportunity arises (or both).
The second half of this game might even decide the whole tie if Lyon continue to defend poorly down the left.

·
The Black Knight
2,038 Posts
Also spectacular, and this time fortunately for Lyon. Lyon have improved a lot in this half so far, but this game could really go any which way.

·
The Black Knight
2,038 Posts
Well that was a real shame for Lyon. In the first half I think Spurs were well worth their lead, but I don't think they deserved their second goal based on how the game panned out. This is not a bad result for Lyon but it could have been much better for them. I think 1-1 was the deserved result, but fair play to Spurs they did persevere for the result. It was the kind of game where I would say fair play to either team who won this leg because both teams persevered.

·
Registered
55,710 Posts
umtiti's goal was superbe.
it is me or someone else thought that the referee made some mistakes ? i'm thinking specially about the foul on gomis in the penalty area.

·
The Black Knight
2,038 Posts
umtiti's goal was superbe.
it is me or someone else thought that the referee made some mistakes ? i'm thinking specially about the foul on gomis in the penalty area.
I've seen penalties given for situations like that. I'm not entirely sure if I would have awarded a penalty for it since it was a bit soft.
I'm hoping that Lyon play as they did in the second half in the return leg. If Lyon can play inspirational football from the get go, defend well down the left flank should Spurs try to attack that way and play intelligent and brave football up front, Lyon will be dangerous.

·
Roland Romeyer
1,517 Posts
The return game has already started with 7 Spurs fans being beaten in a downtown Lyon pub, by our old extreme-right buddies from Bad Gones. In Lyon there are things that never change, eh.

Come on Spurs!

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lyon - Tottenham

Gerland - 21/02/13 19H00 - BeInSport

Lyon : Vercoutre - Umtiti, Lovren, Bisevac, Reveillère - Fofana, Grenier, Gonalons - Lisandro, Gomis, Lacazette
Bench : Lopes, Koné, Dabo, Ferri, Malbranque, Ghezzal, Briand

Tottenham : Friedel - Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto - Lennon, Parker, Dembélé, Holtby - Bale - Adebayor
Bench : Lloris, Naughton, Dawson, Caulker, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Livermore

·
The Black Knight
2,038 Posts
As expected Lyon sat back for the last 20 min and Spurs scores...
That is exactly how it works. I cannot recall the contrary being the case, where the team that defends for the second half achieve their result.
In my opinion, Lyon should have had this defensive strategy in mind, but attack for a good portion of the half as well and make their opposition think, hesitate and struggle.
As it turned out, Lyon gave Tottenham a very easy time mentally... they didn't even attempt to test their mentality or defence.

·
Roland Romeyer
1,517 Posts
Brad Friedel intimating Bad Gones to shut their mouth was probably the highlight of this boring game :heart:

Tottenham (minus Bale) played an awful football during 180 minutes but the most important was to get l*** out of Europe... and the job is done. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts