Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reckon the British press have given the national team undue critism after the Brazil game, especially after it arrives on the heals of a creditable draw with Argentina. Supposed faviroutes Spain played them both last November and lost 2-0 and drew 0-0 so thats a good yard stick for where we stand in relation to our opponents in Euro2000.

The trio in midfield I thought worked excellently, Beckham, Ince and Wise, worked their socks off to protect the back four and made some nice passing moves on the break.Them three with Mcmanaman roaming free could compete with the majority of midfields with the possible exception of France and Holland.

Everyone goes on about the left side but when you think back over the last decade to the great teams to of dominated european club football nearly all played with left sided predominantly right footed players. Milan had Ancelotti,Juve had Jugovic, Ajax had Overmars and up untill the actual competition France were playing with Bohgossian on the left. Even arguably the best letf sided player in Europe this year is right footed, Vincent Candela of Roma.

I think you can play with someone like Wise or Scholes there, narrow and tucked in, but it helps if you've got a quality fullback to overlap, I.E. Le Saux. Neville I don't think is up to the task, offensively or defensively, Nigel Winterburn has proved himself in the european arena (cup winners cup94) and is also technically proficient enough to compete at this level. And Dixon for right back isn't a bad shout either.

Up front is a worry, Shearer and Owen are great at what they do, but neither possess the kind of touch and technique that you need. You can't afford, especially in a 4-4-2 to have two players who can't keep possession of the ball between them. Fowler or Cole and Owen I think would serve as a much better combination.

So my team would be :

Seaman

Dixon Campbell Adams Winterburn

Beckham Ince Wise

McManaman

Fowler Owen

I'd like to hear your opinions........

------------------
geezer

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Marc, I think ou make some excellent points, and both Dixon and Winterburn are a better choice than either of the Neville brothers. In my opinion Gary Neville is the worst right-back Engalnd have ever had! That includes the likes of Keith Curle!

I'd go for Dyer over Dixon though, a much more dynamic and talented player. Also much faster and a better bet for the future.

I do disagree with your points on the Owen and Shearer partnership, I feel they are our best bet for success since the Sherringham and Shearer partnership in Euro96.
Is anybody of the opinion that Barmby could do the same sort of role as Beardsley used to do for England? For m we are missing the link between midfield and attack, and I think Barmby could provide that link. McManaman does however look to be the best bet for a free role job, heis and always has been a great player, the one person in an England shirt that can go change a game in a second! For me Macca must be in the side, his confidence is brimming and Europe fears him after his showing in the Champions league final. So even if he doesn't peform, he will stil create space for the likes of Beckham and Wise, who can hurt the opposition if given time.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On last nights evidence Barmby could definately play the Sheringham/beardsley role.

------------------
geezer

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
My view is that the press her always seem to take friendlies before a tournament too seriously and they should not do it. they need to realise that they can ruin players with their stupid reports.

I think Macca must play and so should Dyer (not going to happen though).

Out of the squad my side would be this:

------------Martyn

--Southgate Adams Campbell

-Beckham Ince Scholes Barmby

----------Macca

---------Owen Shearer.

If I had a different squad then this would be me team:

Martyn

Dyer Adams Campbell Barry

--------Ince

-Macca Beckham Scholes

------Owen Shearer

Please note that this is taking in to consideration that I had played them in loads of friendlies and stuff.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now it is time for Portugal and Portugal has a great squad and is led by Luis Figo! I think Portugal will upset England 2-1!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well pool do you think also Owen starting on the bench in the friendly will also give the wrong impression mentally for the young striker?
The press do over-dramatise friendlies before a competition and adds unnecessary pressure.

------------------
-=KilledInAction=-

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I think that everyone knows Owen will start alongside Shearer, Keegan was just trying out different options ahead of the tournament. He needed to see who his second choice strikers are.

Personally I think it is in this order.

1 Shearer
2 Owen
3 Heskey
4 Fowler
5 Phillips

With Sheearer and Owen the number one partnership, and depending which of the two get injured or suspended will depend who is his second choice striker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts