Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's a game by game breakdown and my opinion on what's going to happen at EURO2000.

First Game Vs. Germany:

Since Germany is in disarray with their players and their coach, I am going to say Romania will scrap it out with the Germans and win 1 - 0. I picture this game to be a tough one for either teams, with goals hard to come by. Key matchups will be in the midfield where Jeremies will try to contain Hagi, while Mattheus will handle Ilie (most likely). Anyway, I think we are in better form than the Germans. :)

Second Game Vs. Portugal:

Porgual is a very, very talented team. Their midfield is way stronger that ours. With the likes of Figo, Rui Costa, Soasa, Sergio Conceciao, it will make any team envious. Their problem revolves around finishing however, in the qualifier in Porto, they dominated us and couldn't finish many chances including a penalty. The return game was very even with both teams having chances. And that second game was more like the team Romania will field against Portugal. The key matchups will include Contra taking on Figo or Conceciao on the side. Cuoto marshalling the middle of the Portugese defense will have to face Ilie and Hagi. I predict a 2 - 2 tie :eek:

Third Game Vs. England:

Hmm, this is going to be another tough game! Duh. We beat England at the World Cup in France, so the Romanian players obviously know a few things about beating them. However, England seems to have improved defensively under Keegan. This game should be very tactical with not too many CLEAR scoring chances. Look for Petrescu to be at his best in this game just like he was in 98, as it's his style of game. Mutu could be used in this game in order to penetrate the "slower" English defenders (Campbell and Adams). I think we can win this one with the same margin as the World Cup. 2 - 1 for us :)

OverAll, if we get by the first round we'll be facing either Italy or Belgium, and we can beat the latter easier.

I would like to hear your comments on my countries chances and how they will fare at Euro2000, and how you think your country is going to do.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Point 1: Romania has one of the most talented teams in the world.They have exelent anchors (Galaca,Stinga,Popescu) and very good defenders (the other Popescu,Petrescu) and good forwards.tHe only problem is that there isnt enough creativity in this team,apart from Hagi (KING) noone else can make the game.Thats why if Hagi gets closed,Romania is DEAD.I had hopes once that Denis Serban would become Hagi's succesor and sub but not anymore..the other player with a bit of creativity wasDumitrescu who is also finished.

Point 2: Your predictions are good and realistic,apart from the fact that you wont beat Germany. (I hate Germany :() these guys always find the way NOT to loose...thats frustrating and you can ask Swicherland to confirm this. :(

Point 3: If Romania plays like they did against Greece,they will not over score a goal during the whole tournament.Hopefully it was only a friendly game and both team were experimenting.

Point 4: Chivu should be in the team.

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AMOROSO!:

Interesting answer, here's what I think of your four points:

Point 1 - I agree with you about Romania having a very talented team, however think you are basing that all the creativity from Romanian's midfield comes from Hagi. Most of it does indeed. However, there are other creative players who I think you underestimate on our team, they are Munteanu and Petrescu. Both have superd vision and passing skills. It is sad though that they can't contribute to the offence as much as Hagi does.

Point 2 - I have the same feeling about Germany, but I think their luck will finally run out at Euro2000, they can't get so many breaks so many games in a row.

Point 3 - The Greece friendly is not a game which Romania should be associated with. Those sort of games happen to any team. I remember before World Cup 98 Romania had a friendly in Bucuresti against Israel, full squad and all, and they lost 2 - 0. This game didn't affect Romania's performance in the first round at the World Cup and I don't think losing to Croatia had anything to do with it either.

Point 4 - Chivu is guaranteed a place on the squad. He will most likely be on the bench for most games unless they have injuries, defensive problems, or just plain out need to protect a lead. So do not worry about him missing Euro2000.

·
International
9,682 Posts
Good points, EclipsE.

The only thing I'm afraid in this group if Figo. He could lead Portugal in the final and probably Romania will qualify together with Portugal from the group as the latin countries are beating in most of the matches the anglo-saxon ocuntries and the nordic ones.

If we meet Italy in the quarter-finals it would be great cause they show poor form despite the win against Portugal (anyone who saw the match knows what I am saying).

Also if we qualify from the groups, Ienei will let the players rest two days while he will go in Romania. He did that in Italy 1990 WC too, so don't be surprised.

And, argentina, from where have you learnt that?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
well bucur, if you had seen the post, it had no reply for the first 4-5 days, so it was funny that after all this hard word from eclipse, no one answered him as like they didnt care...now i see that someone finally decided to answer these points and its good to see that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts