Discussion Starter #1
Goals:
Kluivert 2x
Zenden 2x
Frank de Boer 2x
Figo
Ronald de Boer

The Spanish team:
Abelardo, Sergi and Guardiola are selected. Pep is the only one of them who's a regular starter. But Spain doesn't play great.

The Portuguese team:
Figo plays great. With a tremendous goal in the first match and an assist from a free-kick he showed what he's made of.

The Dutch team:
Slow starters. But the form is coming. All the goals by Barça-players.

Barça is doing great at EURO2000!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I thought that the Spain-Yugoslavia game today was one of the best I've ever seen. :)
OK, so Spain sucked to concede 3 goals, but they showed great resiliance in scoring twice in injury time to qualify.
Plus Sergi, Pep and Abelardo had great games today i think.
Abelardo won the penalty, Pep gave the wonderful pass to score the 4th goal and Sergi made a few great crosses.
Well done to Holland also. It was great seeing Numan's qualities on the international stage after a great season here in Glasgow. :)

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I agree Oly, the Spain match was one of the best i've ever seen. So much excitement, so much drama. Great skill, lots of goals, that's football. But sadly, i have to say i don't think they'll get by France, a team with 22 WORLD CLASS FOOTBALLERS. They gave Holland a run for there money with a reserve squad that didn't look too motivated to play. I just don't see anyone that can beat them on their day. Dutch FCB players are showing that they deserve there spots in Barca, especially Kluivert and Zenden even though i still don't like the guy.

I

·
0 Posts
At the moment France look strong but really, the difference between their reserve side and their first choice team isn't great. Only Zidane, Henry and Thuram would have made a difference to the team that played Holland. France scored 2 goals against Holland because of set pieces so Holland's win cannot be underestimated. Spain have to play their greatest game ever if they are to beat the French. But honestly, Spain have been disappointing. I expected much more from them. If Yugoslavia (not the best of teams) weren't down to 10 men, I'm sure Spain would have been beaten and the headlines would have been distinctly different in the papers. I don't think the Spanish have enough self belief to win.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm Spain's fan but in trying to be objective I say:

1st : We deserved to qualify much more than the all-defender Norwegians that managed to score only 1 goal (against us) in 3 games.

2nd : We are 99% sure to be eliminated by France (not 100% because you never know with football) that is a better team than we are.

3rd : Barca players. Sergi had a great game, nothing to do with that pathetic excuse for a player Aranzabal, and this must have made van Gaal choke once again for not using him in Barca. The same goes for Abelardo, although I don't think he's good in the high ball game.
And now we move on to Guardiola : THE WORST spanish player in the game against Norway and one of the worse against Slovenia, with huge responsibility for the whole team's pathetic image (since he's of course the playmaker). So, Camacho (after facing a lot of criticism on Pep - all over the spanish sites as well) throws in Helguera, Ivan takes over all Pep's defensive duties, plays a hell of a game both attacking and defending, only for Pep to shine and end up being voted "The man of the match"!!!!

HIDEOUS. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spain - Yugoslavia was indeed a great match! I really enjoyed it. The Yugo's brought Govedarica is during the game. He's a player of Dutch side RKC Waalwijk, which ended 11th in last year championship. So between players of Lazio and Fiorentina suddenly a player from Holland's #11 shows up, and scored! Spain played great. Pep was magnificent. A real difference with the first two matches. I think Spain has a chance against France. Not a big one, but playing as they did against the Yugo's, it is possible.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Spain VS Yugoslavia is sure to be a great game, it should be memorized for a long long time. All 3 BARCA players Guardiola, Ablelardo and Sergi had a good game, I hope they are going to start in the next match. The performance of the first 2 games of Spain really disappointed me a lot, and I was quite unhappy, but it's lucky that they woke up at the last minute, so both Spain and Yugoslavia can qualify!!! Sorry for Norway, I don't like their style, it's so boring. Though I don't think that Spain can defeat France, but I really hope that this will happen, maybe we need a miracle again!!! I hope Spain will play against Portugal in the semi-final.

The Dutch FCB players are playing quite good now, especially Zenden, and I hope Kluivert can score more goals. However, their performance are not impressive enough, hope that they will improve, and I'm comfident that they can get into the final.

Figo is the best right now among the BARCA players, Portugal has given a lot of surprise to everyone, all of them have put in a lot of effort. I think they can get pass Turkey, but the key is the semi-final.

I hope either Spain or Portugal will face Holland in the final!!!!!

VIVA BARCA~~~~~~

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A semi between Spain and Portugal, and the winner of that match against Holland.... That would really make my tournament! That would be two great games!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts