Xtratime Community banner

Who will win?

  • Italy

    Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Portugal

    Votes: 12 35.3%

  • Total voters
    34
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
Well, I agree with Bono and I'd have nothing against his (unofficial) interference in pool question ;)

Italy beating Holland in quarter-final... pfff... :irritate:

Anyway, Portugal is going to win this clash :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,451 Posts
Luigi, you should've closed the polll, not the ongoing discussion in the thread:rolleyes:

im sure that the worst thing about it for you kiyan, is that hopeless feeling. its watching our opposition have a good deal of the possession but just not being able to break us down. thats what winners are made of kiyan, maybe one day your adopted nation will learn what it takes...or maybe theyll just keep losing.
Well I never said Holland would win did I? Fact is though that Holland would be all over you like Ronaldo on cake. BTW, Holand DID break down your defence sevreal times, just failed to capitilize.

You're right, playing entertaining football doesn't win trophies, unfortunately for the rest of the football world we have to experience Italy and Germany continue to bore us to death.

on what paper? a placemat at mcdonalds?
On paper, paper is paper. What else do you want me to say? France is only better than us in that departement, that's why we are underacheivers and not overachievers.. Because with this squad we should be winning.

:howler: Kiyan, smtms you are so funy ... :D

bono. I won't get started with you:eek: :D I came to your rescue when the puta Italians though they were better than Holland because the Dutch missed 25 open nets;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah kiyan, gotta love that naivete. when spain is getting ready for a game and the players are in the dressing room, what does the coach say to them? what do they say to each other? "lets go out and entertain!" is that what they say? assuming you answer no, we can conclude that spain plays to win. so the goal of any team is to win and the attractiveness of the game is just a by-product. since teams play to win, theres no reason to pat yourself on the back because you play an 'attractive' style of game. thats not the intention so theres no reason to brag about it.

so in reality, youre not criticizing italy for being boring, youre criticizing us for being effective. you just dont realize it. it makes you feel better about your own short comings.

i dont think you know the meaning of underachieve. being an underachiever doesnt mean you have the 'second best team on paper.' it only means your results dont match your quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,451 Posts
Luigi Vampa said:
ah kiyan, gotta love that naivete. when spain is getting ready for a game and the players are in the dressing room, what does the coach say to them? what do they say to each other? "lets go out and entertain!" is that what they say? assuming you answer no, we can conclude that spain plays to win. so the goal of any team is to win and the attractiveness of the game is just a by-product. since teams play to win, theres no reason to pat yourself on the back because you play an 'attractive' style of game. thats not the intention so theres no reason to brag about it.

so in reality, youre not criticizing italy for being boring, youre criticizing us for being effective. you just dont realize it. it makes you feel better about your own short comings.

i dont think you know the meaning of underachieve. being an underachiever doesnt mean you have the 'second best team on paper.' it only means your results dont match your quality.
No, but that's not really a great argument is it? What fans enjoy, and what most teams mentalities are to attack. Positive football is what we play. You guys play defensive football, dirty football basically whatever it takes no matter how many people you are putting to sleep. Which is 2 different styles and cultures of football. There's nothing wrong with that, only that one is nice to watch and the other is not so nice to watch.

We played great against France in Euro 2000 and lost 2-1 with a Raul penalty miss, (we pulled a Holland;) ). And then despite playing great and having perfect goals called back by the referee we lost to Korea in the Quarters.

This should fit your definition of underachieving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,451 Posts
Luigi Vampa said:
since teams play to win, theres no reason to pat yourself on the back because you play an 'attractive' style of game. thats not the intention so theres no reason to brag about it.
Italy plays to win?:eek:

Again, against Holland you did not play well, and you weren't effective. It was Holland that failed to put you away with their chances, not you that shut down Holland.

Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Italy is stronger on paper and has more experience of winning big trophies. Portugal has homefield advantage. 2-1 to Italy here. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Kiyan said:
Italy plays to win?:eek:

3 wcs :star: :star: :star: The last of which in your adopted nation..
Kiyan said:
Again, against Holland you did not play well, and you weren't effective. It was Holland that failed to put you away with their chances, not you that shut down Holland.


We don't have to play well to win. We don't have play with 11 men to win in the host nations capital city, either.

It's called the mark of a champion.

It's something you don't have a clue about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
You didn't have to say it. I just felt like reminding you.


Kiyan said:

You're right, playing entertaining football doesn't win trophies, unfortunately for the rest of the football world we have to experience Italy and Germany continue to bore us to death.


These two teams played the greatest game in wc history against each other in 1970.It was hardly boring.

Anyway labelling football to be 'boring' is subjective and pathetic at the root. Just a futile attempt on your part to diminish us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kiyan youre missing the point, intentionally im sure.

positive football is winning football. i dont know anybody who feels good when they lose - except losers. liking calcio is like preferring chess over checkers. some people cant appreciate the strategy involved. ultimately, our game is superior to yours and the only thing you have to say to that is that it bores you.

i do remember you playing well against france in 2000. but i also remember the only reason you got to play france was because the ref in the yugoslavia game decided that he wanted you to have that opportunity. so the korea game in wc was no less than you deserved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,395 Posts
Kiyan is right on what thing! I tried to reason that in teh other thread.

It wasnt that big aof an Italian performance but holland's own misery taht save your arses in taht semi. Holland outplayed you in all apsects and broke down your D several times and missed these 25 open goal chances as kiyan righlty pointed out!

End of story!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,432 Posts
I actually think Portugal will win the tournament if they don't come up against England (I just think We have something that will make them lose). So as good as Italy are, i'll pick Portugal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,451 Posts
I think that it's just quite funny that it's been all tactics and skill that have got you far in recent tournies, as appose to the amount of luck they've had.

Please, your ugly football isn't getting you to win either, even with Nesta/Maldini/Cannavaro at the back the defence was more than penetrable so maybe you should think of attacking abit more.


Italy is not better than Spain currently. Historically, yes. But then again historically Uruguay is better than Holland. Right now, Italy at best is only as good as Spain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Italy in calendar year 2003 came back to win our qualifying group , going undefeated the whole year- until the friendly game in poland-the same day we lost soldiers in iraq. That was our only loss ALL YEAR.

You didn't even win your group, how can you possibly be better currently???
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top