Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
69,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it will be a topic during the tournament itself, but today UEFA announced the list of 12 referees selected for the tournament

1. Cuneyt Cakir (Turkey)
2. Jonas Eriksson (Sweden)
3. Viktor Kassai (Hungary)
4. Bjorn Kuipers (Netherlands)
5. Stephane Lannoy (France)
6. Pedro Proenca (Portugal)
7. Nicola Rizzoli (Italy)
8. Damir Skomina (Slovenia)
9. Wolfgang Stark (Germany)
10. Craig Thomson (Scotland)
11. Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)
12. Howard Webb (England)

Fourth Officials
Marcin Borski (Poland)
Tom Herald Hagen (Norway)
Pavel Kralovec (Czech Republic)
Viktor Shvetsov (Ukraine)

No real surprises, happy to see Carballo selected for Spain rather than Undiano who is WAY too card happy. Webb return to a major tournament and he faces a possibility of returning to Poland :)howler:). I personally think he is a poor ref internationally, its funny in England you can get away with murder in games but when they ref internationally they become card happy. Atkinson was really the only other candidate for England. Cakir and Skomina are two young referees on the up.

Thomson is the only surprise in my opinion, he has reffed Champions League games but none of them high profile. He did ref the group decider in qualifying between France and Bosnia-Herzegovina. I like Felix Byrch from Germany but obviously Stark was the man to represent them

On yeah, in Euro there will be the goal line officials this year.

·
Registered
59,068 Posts
Civil servant Bjorn Kuipers :D

·
Registered
69,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the first round assignments

Poland vs. Greece: Carlos Velasco Carballo (ESP)
Russia vs. Czech Republic: Howard Webb (ENG)
Netherlands vs. Denmark: Damir Skomina (SVN)
Germany vs. Portugal: Stephane Lannoy (FRA)
Italy vs. Spain: Viktor Kassai (HUN)
Republic of Ireland vs. Croatia: Bjorn Kuipers (NED)
France vs. England: Nicola Rizzoli (ITA)
Ukraine vs. Sweden: Cuneyt Cakir (TUR)

No assignments yet for Proenca, Stark, Eriksson and Thomson. Webb returns to Poland after the 2008 incident where he became unpopular there.

Eriksson will probably get the big Netherlands-Germany matchup in the second round of games.

·
Registered
69,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Webb actually had a solid game, credit to him, I think he showed no cards as well. But to be honest it wasn't a difficult match to ref

Carballo was awful, his linesmen though made two correct tight offside calls

·
Banned
570 Posts
Carballo had a poor game but I don't think his decisions were as bad as some are saying around here. That potential penalty for Greece should never be given, there was no intention of a handball and it came off another part of his body before hitting his arm. No way was that a penalty.

The only contentious decision was the Sokratis double booking but things evened themselves later on and I doubt the outcome would have been any different in the end with the way that game was going.

Decent opening day from a refereeing perspective.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Please, remove Spanish referees from this tournament. And from other tournaments, too. Including ****ing La Liga, where they are rubbish as well.

Truly awful referees. Difficult to stomach them week in, week out in La Liga.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Carballo had a poor game but I don't think his decisions were as bad as some are saying around here. That potential penalty for Greece should never be given, there was no intention of a handball and it came off another part of his body before hitting his arm. No way was that a penalty.

The only contentious decision was the Sokratis double booking but things evened themselves later on and I doubt the outcome would have been any different in the end with the way that game was going.

Decent opening day from a refereeing perspective.
Come on what are you on about? The refereeing was disgusting just for the fact of the Sokratis sending off. Neither of them were yellow cards that resulted in him getting his marching orders. So when you say one contentious decision you really mean two and when you say contentitious you mean to say absolutely abysmal.

Yep it wasn't a penalty. The ref doesn't get any brownie points for that and his terrible calls twice on Sokratis were unforgivable. As poor decisions as you will see.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Please, remove Spanish referees from this tournament. And from other tournaments, too. Including ****ing La Liga, where they are rubbish as well.

Truly awful referees. Difficult to stomach them week in, week out in La Liga.
:thumbsup:

·
Banned
570 Posts
Come on what are you on about? The refereeing was disgusting just for the fact of the Sokratis sending off. Neither of them were yellow cards that resulted in him getting his marching orders. So when you say one contentious decision you really mean two and when you say contentitious you mean to say absolutely abysmal.

Yep it wasn't a penalty. The ref doesn't get any brownie points for that and his terrible calls twice on Sokratis were unforgivable. As poor decisions as you will see.
Not talking much about the Sokratis double booking there as if he made the right decision, I fully agree that those calls were terrible but rather the other decisions he made that he is getting stick for, don't think they were as bad as some here have made them out to be.

The penalty not given, Chesney red card, and the tight offside calls (mostly thanks to the assistant though) were good decisions even though they don't outweigh the wrong he did with Sokratis' sending off, I still thought he had a decent game apart from those two moments.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
I thought the second card to Sokratis was perfectly deserved. As was the penalty. I only saw highlights though. The first card on Sokratis was not really a yellow but still foul (simulation made ref give a yellow).

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
I thought the second card to Sokratis was perfectly deserved. As was the penalty. I only saw highlights though. The first card on Sokratis was not really a yellow but still foul (simulation made ref give a yellow).
The second booking was worse. The Polish player stumbled and was falling down anyway before there was even contact with Sokratis and the first yellow was poor. All Sokratis did was jump for the ball against an opposing player with minimal contact.

You can't give out yellows for these sort of instances. It makes the game a lottery.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Everyone should know by now that when you see a ref from La Liga in your match, it's going to be a rubbish match. They always want to be the star.

·
Fourth Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
4,820 Posts
First refre eat money im sure. he gived red card to greece guy for nothing and didnt give penalty and cancelled valid goal. poland still not win the game :D

·
Banned
570 Posts
Refereeing standards have improved since that first game, less mistakes and more flowing football allowed. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
Was Croatia second goal an offside?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I think the referee in Spain-Italy match is great. He should referee the final or at least semi finals. He has always been great whenever I watched.

·
Registered
36,124 Posts
Was Croatia second goal an offside?
The Irish player passed it to Jelavić, though t he ref could have blown for offside before the attempted clearence. Then again, he didn't have to as neither Croatian forward was interfering and Ireland had the ball. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts